Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already there has been loads of comparisons and talk of Rashad having 'GSP syndrome'.

Just to clarify for those of you who struggle to recognize the difference, GSP's ground game is lightyears ahead of Rashad's. GSP takes fighters down and ALWAYS progresses. Whether that be transitioning for subs (Hardy, Hughes) or beating the snot out of his opponent (BJ, Fitch, Alves).

Take a look at Rampage at the press conference, and take a look at BJ, Fitch or Alves after they fought GSP, big difference. And Hardy had his back taken numerous times where choke attempts happened and had arm locks put on him twice. Rashad has not even come close to resembling these dominations against T.Silva and Rampage. Barely any damage, no ground progression, no transitions, no sub attempts, just a few ineffective punches on the rare occasion.

There's a big difference between controlling and then doing nothing, and controlling in order to progress / cause damage.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I think those knocking GSP need to go and find Alves, Fitch and BJ and tell them that GSP was just laying and praying and doing no damage and see what those 3 have to say about it. I suggest they may hit you!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
GSP actually hurts fighters on the ground and doesnt let them back up. Rashad does nothing but get takedown, let fighter back up repeat.

GSP while being accused of LnP actually damages fighters on the ground, Rashad doesnt.

Sad thing is that I can actually see Rashad winning the LHW title but using this honorless strategy. God I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GSP actually hurts fighters on the ground and doesnt let them back up. Rashad does nothing but get takedown, let fighter back up repeat.

GSP while being accused of LnP actually damages fighters on the ground, Rashad doesnt.

Sad thing is that I can actually see Rashad winning the LHW title but using this honorless strategy. God I hope I am wrong.
I doubt he'd be able to take Machida down. Machida fights on the back foot, has fast feet, fast reactions, evident TDD and strength. He shrugged Tito off and threw him down like a rag doll, didn't Tito have Rashad on his back?

Machida will stuff those shots and knock him out again.

Shogun on the other hand would get taken down, but would get right back up just like T.Silva, Rampage, Bisping and whoever else was able to do. Then he'll get the KO.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nah you'er right,Rashad is not like GSP. He's worse. He'll lay on you on the ground and up against the cage not willing to finish the fight. While GSP will actually try to TKO and submit fighters.

Face it boys,last night Rashad didn't want to fight, he just wanted his title shot and he doesn't even deserve it. Wrestlers are given too much in terms of scoring on the judges score cards and it NEEDS to be changed.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I doubt he'd be able to take Machida down. Machida fights on the back foot, has fast feet, fast reactions, evident TDD and strength. He shrugged Tito off and threw him down like a rag doll, didn't Tito have Rashad on his back?

Machida will stuff those shots and knock him out again.

Shogun on the other hand would get taken down, but would get right back up just like T.Silva, Rampage, Bisping and whoever else was able to do. Then he'll get the KO.
I said the same thing about the Rampage fight. Rampage would get taken down, get back up and score the KO...... he didnt. So until Rashad gets KO'd again I'll be weary of saying he wont decision anybody.

But I do tend to think Rashad stand a better chance of losing in a 5 round fight.

edit: Machida has some of the best TD defense I've ever seen.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
I wouldn't say either does more damage. Gsp and Rashad have about the same ratio of finishing a fight vs decision. They train together, alot of the same strategy, but you can say any two strikers are the same. They both wrestle, so yea they're alike in that way, but not much else.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I said the same thing about the Rampage fight. Rampage would get taken down, get back up and score the KO...... he didnt. So until Rashad gets KO'd again I'll be weary of saying he wont decision anybody.

But I do tend to think Rashad stand a better chance of losing in a 5 round fight.

edit: Machida has some of the best TD defense I've ever seen.
No but he came as close as you can get to a KO. Rashad got lucky that one of those GnP punches didn't land, I have no idea how one didn't tag him cleanly.

Add to that ring rust, gassing and one dimensional striking. Shogun and Machida are different animals to Rampage, their striking is far less simple to dance around like Rashad did last night.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Rashad's not gonna get the belt ever again, Im quite positive on that one. The LHW contention does not have room for fighters similar to GSP because Shogun and Machida are just quicker, and got amazing tdd, Shogun might get taken down but he's not gonna have any trouble on the ground, Machida simply won't get taken down.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Your right rashad is nothing like GSP

GSP goes against ppl like alves/hardy that have no wrestling/sub skills and once he gets them out of there comfort zone and into his he cant even do anything with all that leverage..Why do ppl harp on about rashad not being able to hold anyone? are they forgetting that hes the most diminutive LHW? are they forgettin he doesnt have the size advange in his division that GSP has in his? :confused05:

Is there any shame in not being able to hold down a seasoned wrestler like rampage? or in finishing that goof troop griffin in his guard mind you.Say wasnt griffin suppose to be great off his back too :confused05:

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
He was pretty fortunate against Forrest TBH (not to take anything away from Rashad, he took advantage of it). Forrest was very lazy and very sloppy in his defence on the bottom in that fight. Rashad doesn't have killer G+P, Forrest was just extremely lax in his defence. I wouldn't say Rashad held Rampage down either, most of Rashad's control came against the cage. Rampage did a pretty decent job of getting back to his feet.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

GSP goes against ppl like alves/hardy that have no wrestling/sub skills and once he gets them out of there comfort zone and into his he cant even do anything with all that leverage..Why do ppl harp on about rashad not being able to hold anyone? are they forgetting that hes the most diminutive LHW? are they forgettin he doesnt have the size advange in his division that GSP has in his? :confused05:

Is there any shame in not being able to hold down a seasoned wrestler like rampage? or in finishing that goof troop griffin in his guard mind you.Say wasnt griffin suppose to be great off his back too :confused05:
He dropped Griffin with a big right hand, Griffin said himself that he never recovered from that. Completely different. How come Bisping, Silva, Rampage and probably others were able to get up without taking any damage?

GSP dominates fighters, Rashad tries to pin them down but can't do anything, they get up, he dances around and then takes them down. Repeat. It wins fights but it's not in the same league as what GSP does.

Hardy has no sub skills? Is that so? Ryron and Rener Gracie say otherwise, defensively he was very effective against GSP.

Alves has no sub skills? a) that's bull and b) GSP GnP his face and outstruck him, i.e dominated him and BJJ wasn't a big feature.

GSP is effective on the ground, Rashad isn't. If you can't see the very big difference then so be it, you must be in your own reality or something.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts

Tell that to this guy...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Tell that to this guy...
is that guys name dan hardy or alves? :confused05: did he even finish that guy despite all that dominance? oh nevermind
He dropped Griffin with a big right hand, Griffin said himself that he never recovered from that. Completely different. How come Bisping, Silva, Rampage and probably others were able to get up without taking any damage?

GSP dominates fighters, Rashad tries to pin them down but can't do anything, they get up, he dances around and then takes them down. Repeat. It wins fights but it's not in the same league as what GSP does
What part of size disadvantage in his respective division didnt you understand?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Dude I hate Rashad and his stupid sissy gameplan to not fight as much as the next guy, but I don't agree when you say GSP is lightyears ahead of Rashad or anything. Rashad has had some impressie wins including GnP which is obvious and GSP has had some really lazy poor decision wins against people with sub par ground games. They're both about the same in my opinion, LHW just has way better competition for it's fighters and GSP is more likeable to me. Can we just clone a 20 year old version of Chuck and get the LHW divison back on track and see someone finish fights.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What part of size disadvantage in his respective division didnt you understand?
So what, that makes it ok to dry hump fighters for 3 rounds and not fight?

I understand this just fine, as do most of the posters here. Rashad wrestles his opponent and never causes any damage doing it, what a brilliant representation of mixed martial arts.

Pin against cage, punch his knee lightly, break, takedown, nothing, stand up, take down, nothing, standup, pin against cage...

Oh but he has a size disadvantage! Woopdy f'in do, drop down if means you'll turn up for an MMA fight and not a wrestling match.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
Yeah, Rashad's not like GSP. Although they train together, GSP hurts his opponents on the ground, and is the best fighter on his weight class, and perhaps the world.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts