Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The events have been pretty solid so far, lotsa great headlining fights this year so far and plenty more to come. Heres to a great machida/shogun rematch.

but as far as silva, he needs better opponents, i understand his line of thinking and the arrogance that came with it, dude isn't challenged, either move on up to LHW or even HW (how ****ing crazy would that be?)

but he needs to fight belfort, then retire from the middleweight, do a fight with gsp then move up to heavyweight.

THERE IS NO OTHER WAY WE WILL EVER SEE ANDERSON TAKE A FIGHT SERIOUSLY IN THE UFC.

Could you imagine Machida got to the point where he behaves like Anderson did tonight?

Or GSP for that matter. Even Brock is cocky but always puts the pressure on

·
"I
6,923 Posts
He just seems to have forgotten what I call the most important aspect of martial arts, respect.
This. Holy shit this. I posted about that earlier. He lost all respect I once had for him. I hope he moves to heavyweight and gets smashed twice. Wins one so he can stay in the UFC and then gets smashed two more times and retires.

I will be rooting against Silva for every fight he's in from this point forward.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Watching Anderson, it seemed like his number one goal was embarrassing Maia and that winning/finishing the fight wasn't even in his mind at all. His attitude was very bad and I don't know if it was genuine anger at Maia or anger at the fact that this was 2 defenses in a row he was put in against guys who had no business being in there with him. I'm not good at psychoanalyzing and I am in no way defending his actions, simply trying to understand them. I was a big fan of his going in and I'm not going to jump off the bandwagon just yet. I don't like to judge a man by his lowest point, I like to look at the sum of his deeds.

The fact is that he is on a 12 fight win streak and only 2 went to decision; only Fedor has a better finishing percentage. The fact is that while many diehard fans claim they have lost respect for him forever, the majority of fans have very short memories and Anderson's next highlight reel KO will make people forget about this the same way the Griffin KO made a lot of people forget about Leites.

I'm also noticing a tremendous irony on these boards. Everyone wants to see Anderson get KO'd badly after this fight. However, if you put him in there with someone willing and able to KO him, that means they are going to be coming after him. This is what Anderson WANTS. I don't necessarily agree with the tactic, but when he's dancing and taunting, he's trying to intice his opponents to throw so he can counter. The only 2 times that strategy has looked really bad has been when he has been in there with an opponent with absolutely nothing to offer in the standup. I'm not defending Silva's actions but in the context of this thread's title of hoping for a better future, I think one result of this fight will be that we will never see Anderson booked against a pure grappler with no standup ever again. :thumbsup:

I think a permanent move to LHW should be coming up soon after a defense against either Belfort or Sonnen. I predict that when he moves up and starts facing the bigger guys who won't be afraid of him, his fights will be better and he'll start putting up the tremendous finishes that got him his reputation in the first place. When that happens his bandwagon will be full again.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Watching Anderson, it seemed like his number one goal was embarrassing Maia and that winning/finishing the fight wasn't even in his mind at all. His attitude was very bad and I don't know if it was genuine anger at Maia or anger at the fact that this was 2 defenses in a row he was put in against guys who had no business being in there with him. I'm not good at psychoanalyzing and I am in no way defending his actions, simply trying to understand them. I was a big fan of his going in and I'm not going to jump off the bandwagon just yet. I don't like to judge a man by his lowest point, I like to look at the sum of his deeds.

The fact is that he is on a 12 fight win streak and only 2 went to decision; only Fedor has a better finishing percentage. The fact is that while many diehard fans claim they have lost respect for him forever, the majority of fans have very short memories and Anderson's next highlight reel KO will make people forget about this the same way the Griffin KO made a lot of people forget about Leites.

I'm also noticing a tremendous irony on these boards. Everyone wants to see Anderson get KO'd badly after this fight. However, if you put him in there with someone willing and able to KO him, that means they are going to be coming after him. This is what Anderson WANTS. I don't necessarily agree with the tactic, but when he's dancing and taunting, he's trying to intice his opponents to throw so he can counter. The only 2 times that strategy has looked really bad has been when he has been in there with an opponent with absolutely nothing to offer in the standup. I'm not defending Silva's actions but in the context of this thread's title of hoping for a better future, I think one result of this fight will be that we will never see Anderson booked against a pure grappler with no standup ever again. :thumbsup:

I think a permanent move to LHW should be coming up soon after a defense against either Belfort or Sonnen. I predict that when he moves up and starts facing the bigger guys who won't be afraid of him, his fights will be better and he'll start putting up the tremendous finishes that got him his reputation in the first place. When that happens his bandwagon will be full again.
First, great post (nominated son!)

Second, I'm not off his bandwagon so much as I haven't ever been on. Everyone knows he's probably the best fighter on the planet but in no way, shape or form is he the best martial artist. I didn't lose respect for him because he was toying with Maia and the fight was boring, I lost respect for him because of the massive amount of disrespect he showed the sport as a whole. A champion does not act like that and neither does a true martial artist. And the Maia fight isn't the only reason for this. How many fights in a row has he completely disrespected his opponents in the cage by just taunting and playing with them? Let's see, theres Cote, Leites, Forrest and now Maia. Like I said, martial artists do not act like Anderson Silva acts inside the octagon, regardless of if they think they're far better than their competition.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts

Second, I'm not off his bandwagon so much as I haven't ever been on. Everyone knows he's probably the best fighter on the planet but in no way, shape or form is he the best martial artist. I didn't lose respect for him because he was toying with Maia and the fight was boring, I lost respect for him because of the massive amount of disrespect he showed the sport as a whole. A champion does not act like that and neither does a true martial artist. And the Maia fight isn't the only reason for this. How many fights in a row has he completely disrespected his opponents in the cage by just taunting and playing with them? Let's see, theres Cote, Leites, Forrest and now Maia. Like I said, martial artists do not act like Anderson Silva acts inside the octagon, regardless of if they think they're far better than their competition.
I will agree with you!
I think his behavior was unacceptable. He showed massive disrespect not only towards his opponent, but he also disrespected the fans, the judges, his coaches...and he showed disrespect towards his own person.
All in all, he disrespectd the entire sport of MMA. I would suggest him to post that kind of behavior in a ring of wrestling (WWE or TNA...or others). Remember at the beggining of the fight he got on his knees in the middle of the ring, in front of his opponent, in front of the referee and the crowd. I thought it was a nobel gesture. And then i couldn't believe what i was seeing.
For me that was a demonstration of hypocracy.
He was the better fighter, no doubt, but he isn't teh bette man. Maia is. Try putting yourself in Maia's shoes: Silva tries to make a fool out of Maia, in front of millions, but Maia stayed right there in front of him, trying to do his best, kept on coming, got hit time and time again. Maia showed heart, he showed you don't need to be the better fighter in order to be the better man. Maia is the true winner for me.

As for Silva, i hope he gets to fight bigger stronger guys.
I think that's what he wants, but his way of saying it, was just horrible.
Like SonofJor-El said: he needs to fight someone who is ready to fight him, someone who can offer him a fight. I think he will get that at LHW.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts

GOD YES! This.. please just tag this to the end of every thread about this fight and close them!

·
Registered
404 Posts

I agree with u great points Superman for the win:thumb02:

·
Registered
3,709 Posts

I agree, could you imagine the uproar if GSP acted like that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.