Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this was discussed already but I have to ask this question! I don't want people to think I am bashing on Sean Sherk but I looked at his profile on the UFC website and it says he is 169 lbs. For Sherk to be a lightweight he would need to drop 14 pds. When Joe Riggs could not make weight he couldn't get a shot at the welterweight title! So why did Sean Sherk, who is techinically a welterweight, get a shot at the lightweight championship when he was over 14 pds? Isn't that against NSAC guidelines? If am missing part of the story, please let me know!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Well I didnt read the story but Im assuming it means he walks around at that weight and cuts down to 155 for the fight. He still has to make weight like everyone else.

·
Registered
85 Posts
sherk may walk around at 169 but when he fights he drops down to 155. after the weigh in the night before a fight a fighter may wiegh 5 or even 10 pounds heavier.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cooley said:
sherk may walk around at 169 but when he fights he drops down to 155. after the weigh in the night before a fight a fighter may wiegh 5 or even 10 pounds heavier.
Yeah after they bust there ass and starve to make weight then after the weigh in they can gain that weight right back if they want.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
On his damn post before the fight on mmaweekly it said he was cutting down from 180. 25lbs, thats SAVAGE

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
cooley said:

Yeah easy, I've seen guys cut 20 lbs in a day

·
Registered
891 Posts
AtomDanger said:
easy and fun are two different things lol that would crush your body

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
AtomDanger said:
Spencer Fisher lost 20lbs in a day before his loss to Sam Stout.

Never a good idea to do it, but if you have to, you have to.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Slamnbam88 said:
easy and fun are two different things lol that would crush your body
Haha yeah it is not easy nor is it fun. If any of you have to do weigh ins for fights or maybe have wrestled before you should know all about this. The day of weigh ins is the worst cause you are lacking fluids and food normally. This is of course if you are having to cut much weight in the first place though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
AtomDanger said:
Sounds like a load of crap to me. Unless the guy drank 10 pounds of water the day before. You would die if you lost that much weight in a day. I know about cutting weight, 5-7 pounds in a day is about all you want to do, unless you dont require stamina.

Sherk obviously cut down to 155 because he wanted the title. He was smart about it he made 2 trail cuts from what I have heard. However if he could beat Matt or GSP he probably would have stayed at 170. He exploted the rules to his benifit. Anybody else can do the same thing, and I believe that Kenny used to fight at 185 so I dont really think that Sherks size was an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I think the UFC just hasn't updated their page. They usually place the weight from the weigh-in of the last fight under a fighters profile and they probley didn't update his profile yet.

·
Registered
808 Posts
sxrxnrr said:
He exploted the rules to his benifit.
He didn't exploit anything. I am willing to bet money that everyone that fights has to cut weight no matter if it is 2 lbs or 20 lbs. He did not exploit anything. That is fighting.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
cooley said:
I remember Rogan commentating during a Joe Riggs fight that he was 30 lbs heavier on the day of the fight than he was at the weigh-in the day before. That is some serious dehydration.

·
Registered
85 Posts
screenamesuck said:
. I hear about people complaining cause they can't lose 5 pounds in a couple weeks, but fighters can lose 20 in a day.
go put on a sweat suit, sit in a suana andf work out, you will loose all the water in your body. you are only dehydrating yourself by loosing the water.

cutting weight and loosing wieght are 2 differnent things.

cutting= dehydrating yourself only

loosing= actually loosing body fat

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea, Florian fought at 180 for the Ultimate Fighter 1 against Leben and Sanchez I think, so the size issue probably wasn't the big problem, it was Sherk's ability to take him down and keep him down.

I give Sherk props for cutting so much weight and even more for doing trial runs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
ROCKBASS03 said:
He didn't exploit anything. I am willing to bet money that everyone that fights has to cut weight no matter if it is 2 lbs or 20 lbs. He did not exploit anything. That is fighting.:dunno:
perhaps exploit gave the wrong impression. He was not cheating just using the rules to his benifit. If they had rules like we did in wrestling where he had to weigh within 1 or 2 pounds the day of the fight you might have seen a differant fight.

I have seen the bad side to cutting weight so I personly dont like it very much, but is part of the fighting game and Sherk being a wrestler has been dealing with it for most of his life.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
cooley said:
go put on a sweat suit, sit in a suana andf work out, you will loose all the water in your body. you are only dehydrating yourself by loosing the water.

cutting weight and loosing wieght are 2 differnent things.

cutting= dehydrating yourself only

loosing= actually loosing body fat
This is how my wrestling coach almost died in college becuase his kidneys failed him. Putting on solar suit in a sauna and working out is a bad idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.