Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Round 1 - Referee Herb Dean in charge of the two light heavyweight strikers. Touch of gloves to open. Diabate kicks low. Cane close the distance and lands a striaght left. Diabate answers. Cane stalking, thought Diabate answers with a straight. Big left from Cane and Diabate falls to the canvas. Cane follows, thought Diabate regains his with quickly. Cane tries to grab a guillotine and fall back, but Diabate escapes and moves back to his feet. Great opening minute. Cane clinches and establishes a bodylock. Diabate resists the pulls and remains standing. Break, and Canes nose bleeding. Diabate looks sharp again and lands a straight left. Cane steps back and Diabate throws again with a right. Cane falls to the canvas, obviously rocked. Diabate throws one punch, and Cane looks hurt. Two more punches come in, and Cane appears to regain his wits, but Dean is there to call the fight. Cane doesn't like it, but it's over. Cyrille Diabate def. Luiz Cane via TKO (punches) -Round 1, 2:13.
damn . before the lil nog fight i tought cane could be contenter .

by the way , watch mmalive (www.espn.com/mma) i could see the whole fight from their location =)

·
The American Dream
586 Posts
Tad bit early on that stoppage.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Diabete is a K1 level striker and Cane dropped him. Besides, the stoppage was early
Diabate really didn't look like he was protecting his face with the 8 oz gloves though.

·
Great Googly Moogly!
1,407 Posts
I don't like that stoppage, Dean showed no consistency there with his decision to stop the fight that quickly.

Diabate practically ragdolled to the ground and Cane took three good shots on the feet before falling onto his back. Then took another one and looked to be pulling guard.

Good showing by the Snake but the stoppage was pretty questionable.

·
'England Elite'
5,028 Posts
I was impressed with Diabate, just seen the fight during the prelims.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
Diabate really didn't look like he was protecting his face with the 8 oz gloves though.
Exactly! I had no idea what he was thinking. At first I was like "lol this guy is leading with his face, he's gonna get KTFO" but his hands were extraordinarily good. If he can figure out how to defend himself better he is going to kill some strikers.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
How was the stoppage early? Luiz fell like a rock and couldn't get up when the fight ended. Early stoppage my ass.
He was saved from being out cold. Cane is a tough SOB, but tall guy was pulling the trigger. I agree with this stoppage, but I wouldnt have called it late if it was stopped 1-3 punches later.

Reactions: jmacjer

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't like that stoppage, Dean showed no consistency there with his decision to stop the fight that quickly.

Diabate practically ragdolled to the ground and Cane took three good shots on the feet before falling onto his back. Then took another one and looked to be pulling guard.

Hard to say. Diabate clearly recovered though and grabbed butterfly guard, no way you call it there. But Diabate dropped some shots on a Cane who lost his whereabouts, and he probably was saved by Dean from being concussed. The last punch would've landed if Dean hadn't jumped in, and I question how many of those he could've taken.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Exactly! I had no idea what he was thinking. At first I was like "lol this guy is leading with his face, he's gonna get KTFO" but his hands were extraordinarily good. If he can figure out how to defend himself better he is going to kill some strikers.
He is a very solid kick boxer so his hands can obviously translate but I think his defense really hasn't translated to the smaller gloves which leaves huge openings.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Watch Diabate's fight against Shogun. Even Shogun decided to take him down. He's got wicked strikes, pin point accuracy and range. You can just see and hear the snap from his strikes. Goes to show technique is the key. This fight should have been shown live.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Diabates striking is excellent. He made shogun look silly on the feet, if that isnt saying some thing......

Hope hes worked hard on his ground game, if so, hes going to be a serious threat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was very impressed with diabate. He imposed his will striking, and did an excellent job. He is actually decent off his back and with a top game can be pretty good. But he is 37 and i think it may be too late

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
To be clear, I picked Diabate to win this fight. I like Cane, but Diabate is one of those great fighters that nobody really knows about. He's had a great career and he's finally started really developing his ground game. He's one of those world class strikers that should make for some exciting UFC fights.

Diabete is a K1 level striker and Cane dropped him. Besides, the stoppage was early

I've already admitted that I'm pretty biased, but I've watched the video a half-dozen times and I can't see this stoppage as early.

Cyrille is clearly conscious as he hits his back at 32/33 seconds in. He makes an attempt to kick Cane off of him (see the legs against Banha's hips at 34 seconds in) and then immediately locks up Cane's body. A friend of mine mentioned that he thought Cyrille was trying to recover with this. That might be. Honestly, though, I think that the better explanation (since he seemed to be plenty active) is that he didn't want to give up his guard, and he planned to just hang on and stall. That's not an unsurprising gameplan, given Diabate's background.

As far as the stoppage on Cane, he ate eight punches in a row before landing the left when Diabate through the knee. Cane can protest the stoppage if he wants, and I do think Herb should've let Diabate land a few more shots, but as far as stoppage's go, Cane was clearly not defending himself. He made no effort to establish a position and ate three clean shots on the mat.

What I consider a good stoppage is, in many cases, a late stoppage, and so Herb's call is not particularly controversial.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Luiz' head bounced on the mat, his nose was busted up, ate multiple consecutive hard shots to the head, and was not defending. Any more and he would have been unconscious.

·
Registered
615 Posts
i knew luiz wouldnt be a contender before the lil nog fight. Was way overhyped considering he bet no one near the top 10

1 - 20 of 20 Posts