Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a myth that once a fighter is KO'ed, it can be easy for them to be KO'ed, again.

Forrest Griffin was TKO'ed by Rashad's GnP.

He fights Anderson Silva. Silva taps Forrest on the chin, and Forrest drops.

Not necessarily due to Silva having devastating KO power, Silva not being known as a 1 punch KO artist.

Possibly, its due to Forrest's chin suffering damage in his previous fight with Rashad that Silva was able to exploit.

Likewise, Chuck Liddell. Chuck had never been KO'ed in his fights. But, once he had been KO'ed, it seemed easier and easier for people to knock him out. His chin and ability to take shots just seemed to disintegrate much like Forrest's did in the Silva fight.

Similar things may have happened to Roy Jones Jr. and others.

Anyway, if that's the case, its possible Lyoto will be easier to KO in his future fights. Especially if he doesn't take the time to recover properly after his recent loss.

Am I full of shit, or what? :confused02:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Well first I think there's a misconception. It's not necessarily their actual chin. Most KO's are caused, as far as I know, from the brain bouncing off the back of the skull. Hence the fighter suffering a concussion.

Now, my opinion is that yes, once you've been KO'ed, it's easier to be KO'ed soon after. Taking some serious time off might help, but I think you are more likely. That's my opinion from what I've seen.

Do I think Lyoto will get KO'ed in his next fight? Nah. He's still amazing and don't forget that until Shogun he was the least hit fighter in MMA.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Then there's GSP... who after getting KO'd by Serra went Samurai mode and has been invincible since.

I think the more you get knocked out, collectively over many years, the weaker your chin gets, a la Big Nog. The first KO shouldn't rearrange any kind of physiology. If anything, it probably deranges a fighters confidence and psyche, so mistakes leading up to KO's ensue.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Liddell and RJJ aren't great examples since they have significantly declined over the years. With that being said, I think having been knocked unconscious before could make it easier in the future, but I wouldn't go as far to say that Lyoto will be KO'd in his next fight just because he has been KO'd before.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
The likelihood of getting a concussion goes up with each concussion suffered.

Forrest was dropped twice prior to that jab with power punches and hit with really hard GNP right before it. He was out on his feet it wasn't because Rashad KOed him.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Then there's GSP... who after getting KO'd by Serra went Samurai mode and has been invincible since.
I think he has more avoided dangerous exchanges since Serra, possibly thinking he may be more susceptible to a KO now, like the OP said has happened to others.

As for Machida, he'll go back to what got him to the championship in the first place, his elusiveness. I'm guessing he won't get KO'd in his next fight, because he won't even get hit.

Reactions: BobbyCooper

·
Registered
41 Posts
You are probably right but Machida will NOT get KO'ed again

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
There's a myth that once a fighter is KO'ed, it can be easy for them to be KO'ed, again.

Not necessarily due to Silva having devastating KO power, Silva not being known as a 1 punch KO artist.

Possibly, its due to Forrest's chin suffering damage in his previous fight with Rashad that Silva was able to exploit.

Likewise, Chuck Liddell. Chuck had never been KO'ed in his fights. But, once he had been KO'ed, it seemed easier and easier for people to knock him out. His chin and ability to take shots just seemed to disintegrate much like Forrest's did in the Silva fight.

Anyway, if that's the case, its possible Lyoto will be easier to KO in his future fights. Especially if he doesn't take the time to recover properly after his recent loss.

I think Chuck is an exception, he keeps getting knocked out because he is predictable and keeps getting punched really hard in the face.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't see Machida getting KO'd again, I think everyone was just in his head because of his controversial win and it affected his fight, just a lack of confidence. He has an anti-KO style but unfortunately had no anti-Shogun style.

·
Registered
121 Posts
well i personally thing that with good blow anyone could knock people out in mma match...those 4 oz gloves just make such things possible...i don't think it has anything to do with what the guy in the first post said..people are getting knocked out on trainings too incase you didn't know, so everyone would have glass jaw cus of that? i mean, the whole iron chin thing is a bit foolish in mma, especially in lhw and hw divisions...cmon, if the guy like rampage punches you in the chin with full power and those 4 oz gloves on, you can have an iron chin literally and you'll still drop down..

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
He hasnt really been hit with a good shot since, so you cant really tell if his chin is worse or not.

As for Machida he may be more likely to get KO'd now from shots but they have to hit him first and unless he's fighting the champ again that wont be easy to do.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Where to begin with this one.....
Only somewhat valid statement, some people believe this.

Forrest had been KO'd a couple times before the Rashad fight..twice actually Jardine and Horn.
James Irvin is not amused..

And BTW, Forrest had been dropped how many times before that? He was hardly in any shape to still be taking punches...

If you can't hit him, which no one but Shogun has been able to, it really doesn't matter. And the athletic commission puts you on a medical suspension after being KO'd for a reason....
You are...

Just a little note here, I am not a Lyoto Machida fan in any way shape or form, so I'm not a fan defending my favorite fighter, but some of this is just outright ridiculous.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Well first I think there's a misconception. It's not necessarily their actual chin. Most KO's are caused, as far as I know, from the brain bouncing off the back of the skull. Hence the fighter suffering a concussion.
Yes that's very true! The saying somebody has a great chin or glass chin is only a saying to describe to somebody who's brain can absorb more punishment then others. There is no such thing as a good chin or bad chin.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
The reason why most fights are KOed is actually people hitting "the button" which is a spot on the chin that if hit properly places a lot of pressure on the neck from your head spinning. If one is awake when doing this then the natural tendency is to fight that movement which can break your neck. That is why your body immideataly makes you unconcience, so you do not fight the movement.

Not temple punches? I don't know. But chin knock outs usually don't have that negative effect on your body from what I am told. But could be wrong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I never thought nog would be put to sleep. Then It happened again. Same with chuck. There is something to the being hit one too many times. Prime example of what could happen if it happens to many times is Ali. There is definitely a cause and effect of getting clipped.

your not full of shit, there is something to it. Maybe the 4oz gloves.:)

·
Banned
0 Posts

Machida is going to pick Rampage apart just like he did to Rashad....just Rampage is slower....:thumbsup: Yes your full of shit...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
To the TS yes you are full of shit because Rapmage will have to land a punch to KO Machida. He wont land a punch this fight.

And I am a Rampage fan. Machida is gonna make him look foolish.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts