Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I don't want to see Machida fight Jones, at all. I want to see Machida fight the loser of Rashad vs Rampage, or Lil nog(assuming he wins) or Forrest Griffin. Jones should fight Lil nog, loser of rashad vs rampage, griffin, or thiago silva.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I see Machida winning. Yes Shogun destroyed him but I have rewatched the fight a fw times and honestly Machida was winning (for 3 minutes lol) but ya he made 1 mistake. he landed his signature knee to the body (ortiz) and then after that he did his fencer diving in straight left. Too bad for him Shogun was waiting with a right.

Machida is still top 3 LHW in the world imo and would beat Jones.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think this could make for a very interesting fight. Machida has been exposed in his last fight and I could honestly see Jones winning this fight. Thoughts?
Was GSP exposed when he lost to Serra. The skill level is obviously closer between Rua and Lyoto. It is not like Rua was kicking his ass all round (I think Lyoto was probably winning the round up until that flash shot). Anyone can get caught with a punch...look closely at where the punch from Rua landed. Almost the back of the head. Congrats to Rua, but this does not diminish Lyoto at all.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Machida has not been exposed. He was doing good till he got caught. MAchida just went up aganist someone who is better. That does not mean he is a b-level fighter. He is still the second best LHW. He should still be fighting his way up for another shot at the tittle. Dana will not risk Jon Jones right now. They want to build him up as much as they can till they send him in their with top tier competition.

Reactions: JimmyJames

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Machida would still beat Jones, he's still one of the best fighters at LHW.

Jones only way of winning would be to take him down, and you saw how easily he tossed Shogun around in the clinch/grappling area.

Jones' striking is still a bit wild and sloppy to be facing a counter striker like Machida.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It's too early in Jones' career to throw him against Machida. And he's building steam, so he shouldn't be used as a sacrificial lamb to begin the road back to the title.

Also, I agree w/ many others, Machida wasn't "exposed." A weakness was found, but it's not like Kimbo... it's not a weakness that anyone can take advantage of.

·
Banned
689 Posts
i actually think jon jones's reach and length would stress machida out and he doesn't have enough power to really hurt jones

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Bones could take him down and beat on him but he would get exposed pretty bad striking with Machida. His cardio has been questioned as well and Machida is a master of the art of decision so the longer the fight goes it should favor Machida.

I really don't think Bones is ready to beat any of the top guys except Rashad who he would ragdoll and murder with GNP. The guy doesn't have that many fights and is really young if he wins his next fight he should be taking on someone like Randy or the winner of Chuck/Franklin.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Let's be realistic for a second here fellas. Yes Jones is basically undefeated and his hype is at an all-time high (i love him just as much as the next guy) and Machida is coming off a controversial win followed by a devastating KO, but Jones is still not ready for a fight like this.
Machida would definitely win if they fought right now because he is very technical and accurate while Jones can be a bit sloppy at times (Machida will surely take advantage of that). Also, Jones has no experience against an elite fighter whereas Machida has beaten guys like Rich Franklin, BJ Penn, Shogun, Rashad, Thiago Silva, Tito Ortiz, etc. A big part of Jones's game is his great and unique takedown abilities but Machida has extremely good TDD and i cant see someone like Jones taking him down or even getting in close enough range to take him down for that matter.
Bottom line: if they fought now Machida would easily win but Jones is still very young and in time could pose a threat to Machida and whoever is the champ in the future.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.