Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At UFC 113, Lyoto Machida saw his light heavyweight title and unbeaten record disappear when Mauricio “Shogun” Rua knocked him out. And now he has made regaining the belt is new dream.

Back in Belém, the city of his birth, the Karate fighter spoke to for the first time after his loss to Tatame Magazine:

“My plans are to dispute this belt in a year or less, like 10 months. To regain the belt is my dream. I don’t matter who has it, I want to have the opportunity to fight for the belt, if it’s Shogun I’m ok, I’ll enjoy the win”.

The loss is a devastating blow to Machida who for a while seemed unbeatable, but he still found time to praise his opponent.

“It’s a complicated moment for me, I’m trying to understand what I did wrong, but on the other side it’s great having the support of my fans”.

“I was well trained, focused, even because our last fight was really controversial. I wanted to end this fight, I was feeling fast, but a fight is a fight, you can’t say much before it happens. Sometimes you are winning it, but the guy hits you and you lose. I think I was winning this fight, despite his aggressiveness”.

“I give Shogun all credits for his win, he deserved it and is the new champion, but that not the end of the story, life goes on”.

And on that punch that knocked him out cold:

“That punch really got me and, on this division, is really hard to get a punch like that. When it gets you, it’s really hard”

Machida will have to wait some time until that dream becomes a reality and is likely to be taking some time off anyway. He’ll be back eventually with the possibility of taking on the loser of “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
Machida sounds like a good guy but im still glad he got KO'd.

I look forward to seeing him fight in the future and hopefully his fans have been humbled enough by the merciless beatdown he received.

thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
All truth from Machida, and yes, he was winning that fight til he got clipped.

Shogun won the fight, all that really matters, but he didn't blow Machida out of the water like dumbass people on this forum are acting like. Same reason I'd like to see velasquez v nog II, Mir v Carwin II...and many other matches.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
He wont have the title back within the next 10 months, Rashad/Rampage havent even fought and they are the next in line, and by the time one of thos faces shogun... it'll be a year and a half before Machida gets his next title shot.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Good to finally hear from him after the loss. 10 months sounds really unrealistic to me simply because of the scheduling the UFC and fighters would have to go through to make that a reality. Honestly, if Shogun is still holding the belt when Machida get's his next shot I think he's going home empty handed.

Not really a bad thing though, Shogun taking the belt has really opened up a lot of interesting matches at LHW for both Shogun and Machida. I'd love to see Machida take on Rampage after Rashad puts him down at 114 :thumb02:. And should Rampage actually defeat Rashad that leaves us with Rampage-Shogun II and Evans-Machida II. Mmmm...

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His time line is realistic, by the time shogun fights rampage he would be ready for his return. Say they fight in November. Depending who he beats he could be next in line after his return fight. So by March 2011 the Dragon should be champion again. However defeating shogun will be a difficult task.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts

Shogun won the fight, all that really matters, but he didn't blow Machida out of the water like dumbass people on this forum are acting like. Same reason I'd like to see velasquez v nog II, Mir v Carwin II...and many other matches.
It doesn't matter if he was "winning the fight," it didn't even go past the 1st round. So its kinda hard to say he was "winning the fight", more like he was winning the round. And considering how he was starting to breath after those first two take downs, i don't think he would of gotten out of the second if it went that far.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Good, he seems to have the right attitude after his loss so there's a good chance he'll come back even better than before.

But if Evans loses to Jackson, he should fight somebody else next, because after the way Machida tooled Evans the first time I'm not excited at all about a rematch.

Jon Jones could be a possible next opponent if he gets out of his next fight without any suspensions. Or they could scrap the Matyushenko fight all together, it doesn't make much sense anyway.

·
SPEED KILLS
4,130 Posts
His time line is realistic, by the time shogun fights rampage he would be ready for his return. Say they fight in November. Depending who he beats he could be next in line after his return fight. So by March 2011 the Dragon should be champion again. However defeating shogun will be a difficult task.
His timeline is very unrealistic,

- he's got 60 days (2 months) medical suspension
- Rampage and Evans need to fight
- then the winner needs to fight Shogun
- then the titleholder from that fight will probably fight the loser of Rampage vs Rashad if that person won their fight proceeding the loss to Page/Rashad

That is at least 1 year, all the while Jon Jones will probably be blasting his way to title contention, and Machida won't get another title shot after just 1 fight. Shouldn't do anyway.

Considering who the current Champ is, and the current pool of many tough contenders waiting their turn, I can't see Machida in a title fight for at least 18 months. UFC fighters tend to fight once every 4 months minimum.

Yes glad to see Machida has come out of this positively, still can't help but worry that too many guys in his division maybe hit too hard for him.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

Yeah because Velasquez just got lucky, he didn't look too much for Nog in the standup at all. If he didn't KO Nog with a beautiful combo, Nog would have outboxed him...

No. Valesquez went in, outstruck Nog and finished him early as a result.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good, he seems to have the right attitude after his loss so there's a good chance he'll come back even better than before.

But if Evans loses to Jackson, he should fight somebody else next, because after the way Machida tooled Evans the first time I'm not excited at all about a rematch.

Jon Jones could be a possible next opponent if he gets out of his next fight without any suspensions. Or they could scrap the Matyushenko fight all together, it doesn't make much sense anyway.
I pretty much agree with all this. I don't know how much Machida will change, but I did have him ahead in the round (takedowns and one good connect - I think it was the first exchange when he slipped Shogun's strike and hit Rua with the counter) till he got knocked out.. I'm also not wild about a rematch with Rashad right now. Rampage, or Jon Jones, I'd love to see either fight Machida.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts

I don't normally make posts like this, but... it's crap like this that gets me annoyed at fanboys. Your guy lost, period. Quit trying to play it down yadda yadda yadda - man up, admit it, & get over it. Machida has.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
If he's mentally tough still he can literally take out the entire LHW division. I see Shogun and Lyoto as one and two respectively unless Spidey comes into the picture.

Contenders
Rampage
Jon Jones
Lil Nog

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Highly unlikely. Shogun will fight winner of Rashad/Rampage next and after that its most likely Randy or rematch with Forrest.
I suppose around year - 15 months is realistic though IF Machida fights for example Li'l Nog next and Forrest/Randy lose or get injured. Either Way Machida needs 1-2 wins before his next shot and I don't see that happening within 10 months unless Dana allows him to skip couple more deserving contenders on the line.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
he will not get that belt back, shogun will kill him again or lil nog will, he's boxing will be too good for machida as he doesn't hit hard enough and lil nog will counter and destroy him

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Yeah because Velasquez just got lucky, he didn't look too much for Nog in the standup at all. If he didn't KO Nog with a beautiful combo, Nog would have outboxed him...

No. Valesquez went in, outstruck Nog and finished him early as a result.
cains win was great no excuse but he didn't prove anything as they never grappelled.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts