Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
3 more years of Machida left if he sticks to retiring at 35, I hope he can get back to the top. As for his dad he's seems like the most unbiased and steady person i've come to seen it's like you can't hurt him no matter what lol hes a total gangster if only he was young i'd love to see him in mma.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
What an idiot. He lost once. He still has one of the best records in all of the sport. And he should retire? I hate Machida's father more and more every time I see an interview or read an article. He's a moron, through and through, and I yearn for the day Machida stops training with him.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I thought that it was more interesting that he thought his son wouldn't recover spiritually from the loss for 5-10 years. It really makes me wonder how hard Machida took the loss and if mentally he can get himself into a position to be successful again. You can say what you want about Machida's dad but, I would think that he would know about the mentality of his son better than almost anyone else. Machida's aura of invincibility is gone he should be worried about his opponents, because they no longer fear him.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I thought that it was more interesting that he thought his son wouldn't recover spiritually from the loss for 5-10 years. It really makes me wonder how hard Machida took the loss and if mentally he can get himself into a position to be successful again. You can say what you want about Machida's dad but, I would think that he would know about the mentality of his son better than almost anyone else. Machida's aura of invincibility is gone he should be worried about his opponents, because they no longer fear him.
None of his opponents ever feared him. He isn't CroCop or Andy people didn't cower in fear in his presence they chased him around the octagon trying to hit him.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
None of his opponents ever feared him. He isn't CroCop or Andy people didn't cower in fear in his presence they chased him around the octagon trying to hit him.
Rashad seemed to be intimidated. And Thiago didn't exactly look confident either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What an idiot. He lost once. He still has one of the best records in all of the sport. And he should retire? I hate Machida's father more and more every time I see an interview or read an article. He's a moron, through and through, and I yearn for the day Machida stops training with him.
Do you realize he is saying this as a father, he does not expect Lyoto to retire but he would like him to.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
They just don't know how to take a loss.
Agreed,

3 more years of Machida left if he sticks to retiring at 35, I hope he can get back to the top. As for his dad he's seems like the most unbiased and steady person i've come to seen it's like you can't hurt him no matter what lol hes a total gangster if only he was young i'd love to see him in mma.
and agreed lol he's like miagi/terminator (his dad that is).

·
Banned
820 Posts
He is just worried about his son. Lyoto will fight till his heart desires, and I am sure his father and his family will back him all the way.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Very interesting interview. I just want to say that his dad is right about not losing control. When Lyoto knocked out Rashad I was yelling in the bar cuz I just won my bet...lolz! Later watching a replay I noticed his dad in the background sitting there emotionless while his trainers, brother, and fans were all standing up cheering! Crazy stuff...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I would think that Yoshiza would be MUCH MORE conservative in his assessment of when his son should retire than anyone else.

ESPN magazine ran a feature on Lyoto recently and Yoshiza stated very bluntly that he does not want his son taking too many damaging blows to the head. To quote "there's no honor" in fighting past one's time.

His son's quality of life and welfare trumps all, obviously.

The family could surely make a decent living running an academy indefinitely already based upon Lyoto's success.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I understand that this is Lyoto's father, but this is kind of ridiculous. Saying that he needs to be more careful and train a bit differently is one thing. But after seeing how dominant Lyoto can be, stating that he should retire after his first ever MMA loss is way over the top.

Lyoto will be back and he will still be one of the top LHW fighters in the world.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wasn't Machida's father the one who gave him the whole "You're a samurai" speech after his fight? Now he's saying he should retire? Doesn't sound very samurai-like to me.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
Wasn't Machida's father the one who gave him the whole "You're a samurai" speech after his fight? Now he's saying he should retire? Doesn't sound very samurai-like to me.
sooo...is this the part where he's supposed to impale himself on a sword? :confused02:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think his dad knows Machida and I'm guessing his change of words must be after he examined Lyoto a few days after the fight as he put it, it takes 10-15 years to recover your spiritual strength to where it was lol, either way I think Yozhizo Machida is truly one of a kind just like his son.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts