Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Oh he def wants a third one with Shogun. Good to see he's in good spirits! I'm sure he was watching the LHW bout very closely this weekend.

Reactions: xRoxaz

·
Registered
377 Posts
Huh? Machida wouldn't mind if he never gets another shot at shogun again?? WTF? If I was him I would want a rematch ASAP! He'll be back tho.

Thanks for the video. Reps.
Either you didn't finish watching the video or you don't understand English well ..

He said at the end if it's up to him he would like to fight Shogun again .

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Nice, little Interview. Lyoto kinda looks like he couldn't care less though. And the guy translating all the stuff looks even more annoyed. Interview guy is asking Lyoto a long question and the translator just goes like "hey what about that thing he said?" and Lyoto is like "Yeah, I like that." :thumb02:

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Huh? Machida wouldn't mind if he never gets another shot at shogun again?? WTF? If I was him I would want a rematch ASAP! He'll be back tho.

Thanks for the video. Reps.
Actually that´s an error form the translator.

Machida said that he´s waiting for the UFC position on the matter, if the 3rd fight comes soon, that´s great, if not he´s gonna wait for another chance.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
I noticed during the Rua fight build up and also now, that Lyoto is speaking less and less English. He's starting to have that same nonchalant look on his face that Silva does when he gets interviewed by the english speaking press. Like he understands but doesn't want to speak.

It must be difficult being one of these guys, being loved on one day and laughed at the next by the fans.

Thats how I see it anyway.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[/QUOTE]

Lmao are they chanting Machida?

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
I think Lyoto takes boos to heart! Even though he shouldn't give a **** about a drunken crowd anyway.. if you have a fan like that :thumb02:

Yeah, I remember watching a couple build up to 113 interviews where he made it clear how much it bothered him the fans were chanting Shogun during the first fight. And he gets booed if he keeps countering and doesn't brawl. Damn drunken fight fans!

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Yeah, I remember watching a couple build up to 113 interviews where he made it clear how much it bothered him the fans were chanting Shogun during the first fight. And he gets booed if he keeps countering and doesn't brawl. Damn drunken fight fans!
Thats true Squirrel! Most of those so called "Fans" just aren't educated enough about the Sport just yet. Most of them still prefer brawls like Garcia vs. Jung or Sanchez vs. Guida.. guys who just throw wild punches at each other! They don't or can not Respect the art of guys like Lyoto or great BJJ fighters for example. They probably can't even see how skilled those guys really are.. and how long it takes to get there, if ever.
But most of that has also to do with the culture of the Americans in my opinion and Western society in general. I believe we all Respect very little these days, if any. And we have no sense of shame at all anymore!

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
I would take those booos happily if it meant that i was half the fighter Lyoto is.
I would only be pissed for the fans being so ignorant, not that it meant that i ´wouldn´t be great at what i do.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Thats true Squirrel! Most of those so called "Fans" just aren't educated enough about the Sport just yet. Most of them still prefer brawls like Garcia vs. Jung or Sanchez vs. Guida.. guys who just throw wild punches at each other! They don't or can not Respect the art of guys like Lyoto or great BJJ fighters for example. They probably can't even see how skilled those guys really are.. and how long it takes to get there, if ever.
But most of that has also to do with the culture of the Americans in my opinion and Western society in general. I believe we all Respect very little these days, if any. And we have no sense of shame at all anymore!
I totally agree man. Its taken Machida a literal lifetime to adapt his exceptional Karate abilities to MMA. He's IMO created the perfect balance between aggressive MT and defensive Shotokan. That leaping in and out ability is also something that's taken a lifetime to develop.

With BJJ, a discussion with Ironman clued me in to something I didn't know. BJJ's rediculous amount of development to become a Blackbelt (my grappling knowledge is based mostly in Jiu-jutsu). When Bruce Buffer says a fighter is a BJJ blackbelt that doesn't mean much to the ignorant, but that's a tremendous accomplishment, far more so than becoming one in a striking art like Karate is.

I think its more ignorance of the sport, but a basic knowledge of boxing on the part of American fans. Anyone over 20 watched Rocky when they were a kid and expects all fights to play out like Creed vs Balboa 2. I think a bit of developed understanding on the part of people who watch MMA events would do wonders for the booing. But then again, every once in a long while you get a crowd who reacts with cheers when a fighting transitions to side control, or sprawls a takedown and clinches. Or even a nice sweep. So its a lot of hit and miss.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I totally agree man. Its taken Machida a literal lifetime to adapt his exceptional Karate abilities to MMA. He's IMO created the perfect balance between aggressive MT and defensive Shotokan. That leaping in and out ability is also something that's taken a lifetime to develop.

With BJJ, a discussion with Ironman clued me in to something I didn't know. BJJ's rediculous amount of development to become a Blackbelt (my grappling knowledge is based mostly in Jiu-jutsu). When Bruce Buffer says a fighter is a BJJ blackbelt that doesn't mean much to the ignorant, but that's a tremendous accomplishment, far more so than becoming one in a striking art like Karate is.

I think its more ignorance of the sport, but a basic knowledge of boxing on the part of American fans. Anyone over 20 watched Rocky when they were a kid and expects all fights to play out like Creed vs Balboa 2. I think a bit of developed understanding on the part of people who watch MMA events would do wonders for the booing. But then again, every once in a long while you get a crowd who reacts with cheers when a fighting transitions to side control, or sprawls a takedown and clinches. Or even a nice sweep. So its a lot of hit and miss.
I agree lately though there has been soo many new fans to mma for it's own good, they just want to see fighter's slugging it out and knock each other out, arts like BJJ are very hard for the casual fans to understand as most of the action consists of transitions only, when fans boo a fighter like Machida you know there drunk or just stupid as Joe once called out.

However this sort of behavior from new fans, I don't think will get any better in the coming years because they simply don't know what MMA is.

Machida did take the boos to heart as he tried to deliver a knockout in UFC 113, for someone to change their style just to prove to fans against a dangerous opponent like Shogun is tremendous. I hope he plays his own tactics from now on, the way he first earned the title.

Reactions: Squirrelfighter

·
Registered
585 Posts
Rocky movies make me laugh...Its dam near impossible for a guy to take straight shots no blocking for an entire fight to be okay and not get ko'ed lol

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts

Most fans are like football fans, they'll cheer the winning team/person or somebody who appears dominant. Everybody in the arena was all for Machida at the weighs prior to his first meeting with Shogun, but afterwards they all disappeared. It's like the Jerry Maguire tag line: Everybody loved him, everybody disappeared. Quite sad when you think about it.

Machida's problem is that he wears his emotions on his sleeves. You can always tell when he is bothered by something or genuinely happy, and for a fight, it's obviously important not to let that stuff get to you.

A lot of the fans reactions also depend on the location, too. From what i've heard, Canadian fans seem to be most the intense, have the most energy and respect for all aspects of the game.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Rocky movies make me laugh...Its dam near impossible for a guy to take straight shots no blocking for an entire fight to be okay and not get ko'ed lol
But, but, but...he's the Italian Stallion, he can take anything... :( ...he's magic like a unicorn!:thumb02:

Most fans are like football fans, they'll cheer the winning team/person or somebody who appears dominant. Everybody in the arena was all for Machida at the weighs prior to his first meeting with Shogun, but afterwards they all disappeared. It's like the Jerry Maguire tag line: Everybody loved him, everybody disappeared. Quite sad when you think about it.

Machida's problem is that he wears his emotions on his sleeves. You can always tell when he is bothered by something or genuinely happy, and for a fight, it's obviously important not to let that stuff get to you.

A lot of the fans reactions also depend on the location, too. From what i've heard, Canadian fans seem to be most the intense, have the most energy and respect for all aspects of the game.
Totally agree. I would bet a lot of MMA fans are rollover fans from more mainstream sports like football/ basketball/ baseball. The rooting for the winner really grates on me!

Machida is a rather open book. I think that's a mental aspect that may be just innate.

Gotta love the Canadian fans. They're up there with the Japanese in their vehement love and respect for this sport!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Either you didn't finish watching the video or you don't understand English well ..

He said at the end if it's up to him he would like to fight Shogun again .
Yeah, I didn't finish watching the video, my internet was hella slow, the video was taking a long time to load. When I heard the guy said Machida wouldn't mind if he doesn't gets a chance to fight shogun again he would be okay with that, I made a comment on it.

You cool tho.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.