Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Lyoto Machida is boring, but he may be exactly what MMA needs
wtf is that wicked journalist talking about?

Fire his ass ASAP!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
wtf is that wicked journalist talking about?

Fire his ass ASAP!
In the journalist's defense, up until Lyoto KO'ed Sokodjou, he was considered one of the most boring fighters in the sport. 3 KO's in a row helped shake that reputation, but a history of boring fights sticks with a guy for awhile.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
In the journalist's defense, up until Lyoto KO'ed Sokodjou, he was considered one of the most boring fighters in the sport. 3 KO's in a row helped shake that reputation, but a history of boring fights sticks with a guy for awhile.
Huh?

Anywho, I personally found him very entertaining even before his recent KO wins. I loved how technical he was, especially his absolute **** of Tito Ortiz.

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
Lyoto arm triangled Sokky, Decisioned Tito and the KO'd Silva and Evans.

His decisions weren't boring at all IMO, it was just an overeaction of fans who despised his defensive-safe gameplans that didn't put an emphasis on finishing the fight.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Lyoto has finished fights in ways that some dont find entertaining and some do.....He seems like he is ready to go i enjoyed watching him throwing those rights into the roped wood beams....'

This fight could go to the ground but i only see Shogun trying to take it there when Lyoto gets him in trouble....till then I believe the will both be standing.....

great video thanks for posting.....:thumbsup:

EDIT: He looks pretty jacked too on that cover....

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Lyoto arm triangled Sokky, Decisioned Tito and the KO'd Silva and Evans.

His decisions weren't boring at all IMO, it was just an overeaction of fans who despised his defensive-safe gameplans that didn't put an emphasis on finishing the fight.
Yep, i.e fans of violence, not fans of skill.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Lyoto was and probably still is an education process for many people! Same as MMA still is for all of us. It's all very new and rare..

Lyoto just has to keep that belt for a long long time! He can bring this Sport to a whole different level. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
689 Posts
machida definetely helps bring people into the sport my cousin doesn't know much about it and when i showed him the highlight on UFC 09 of gsp beating matt hughes, he thought that it was fixed because matt hughes is unbeatable and than me and his friend had to tell him that gsp is the new big cheese and ******* damn good.

so than when we started playing and he asked "oh who is that new guy, he's ******* mad, he gave it to tito and didn't even get touched" i said "oh you mean machida" "yeah thats him whats his name again" "it's lyoto machida" he than started going on about him to his friend because of how good he is.

it surprised the shit out of me, most people who are actual fans where saying that it was a boring fight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
machida definetely helps bring people into the sport my cousin doesn't know much about it and when i showed him the highlight on UFC 09 of gsp beating matt hughes, he thought that it was fixed because matt hughes is unbeatable and than me and his friend had to tell him that gsp is the new big cheese and ******* damn good.

so than when we started playing and he asked "oh who is that new guy, he's ******* mad, he gave it to tito and didn't even get touched" i said "oh you mean machida" "yeah thats him whats his name again" "it's lyoto machida" he than started going on about him to his friend because of how good he is.

it surprised the shit out of me, most people who are actual fans where saying that it was a boring fight.
That was the first time I saw Machida fight, and while others found the fight boring, it turned me into a Machida fanboy instantly. And it was for pretty much the same reason your friend got turned onto him - I was like wow, he's dominating Tito without even getting touched. Tito couldn't do anything to him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Although I was please to see the UFC and Machida get mainstream attention I thought for the most part the article was pretty bad.

Just full of lazy cliches and misinformed opinions. Its a long read but have put a couple of quotes to give people a feel of the article if they havent got ESPN Insider.

UFC 104, headlined by light heavyweights Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, is like most big MMA events: blurs of flopping bodies and vicious head shots accompanied by a nonstop barrage of tattoos and testosterone that pours from the seats of the arena. The crowd wants someone to get seriously jacked up. This was apparent in a preliminary bout, when heavyweight Ben Rothwell took a beating while on his back with his head propped up on the fence. It was Whac- A-Mole with one difference: Rothwell couldn't hide. Cain Velasquez pummeled Rothwell's head, one shot after another, and the crowd howled when the ref called it. Rothwell did too. Judging by all involved, the fight ended just as it was getting good.
But MMA remains more spectacle than sport. Big names and big fights change monthly -- BJ Penn before he lost to Frankie Edgar; Anderson Silva before he acted silly and mocked his opponent, the crowd and his sport at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi; UFC-wannabe Strikeforce before its recent CBS show in prime time (2.9 million viewers) degenerated into a brawl. The ephemeral nature of the sport's stars creates something of an identity crisis. In the UFC's glory division, light heavyweight (205 pounds), champ Chuck Liddell was replaced by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who promptly lost to Forrest Griffin, who promptly lost to Rashad Evans, who promptly lost to Machida. The sport runs on a few good chapters without a connecting narrative.

·
Banned
689 Posts
Although I was please to see the UFC and Machida get mainstream attention I thought for the most part the article was pretty bad.

Just full of lazy cliches and misinformed opinions. Its a long read but have put a couple of quotes to give people a feel of the article if they havent got ESPN Insider.
yeah most articles these days in MMA and Boxing are ******* dreadful and are no better than what the average poster on sherdog types

1 - 15 of 15 Posts