Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are still three months left for the next fight of Demian Maia on UFC, but is wrong who thinks that the black belt is taking some time off. With an eye on the really tough Alan Belcher, his opponent on September 15, the Brazilian told TATAME he is doing specific trainings of Wrestling in Chicago, United States, with some of the best coaches on that modality.

“Wrestling is a part of Jiu-Jitsu, but these guys are extremely focused on this takedown part, so it’s excellent. You can train with guys who know every single detail that is to know about this technique”, says Demian, who is training with the coaches of the American team who competed on the Olympics’ 2008, in Beijing. “They have a high level training. Usually, the trainings on the United States are done in colleges, but this one is done in an specific gym”, explains.

The more specific trainings on American lands are just a part of his search for excellence, which also counts with Boxing training with Luiz Carlos Dórea, the responsible coach for the trade of punches of the Nogueira brothers and Junior Cigano. “I always try to improve in all areas. This takedown part, for the Jiu-Jitsu, is very important, and it’s my focus now, because it still is far from my fight. I have to improve even my conditioning, because if I get there to take him down and I’m not prepared to do it, I’ll be screwed, so it’s a search for improvement”, concluded.

http://www.tatame.com/2010/06/18/UFC-with-good-TV-ratings-in-Japan

·
Registered
736 Posts
Good read, and lmaoo @ the sig.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It's good that he's working on his wrestling. You can be the best submission fighter ever, but as Anderson proved if you can't get it to the ground, what good does it do you? Hopefully he comes ready to roll with an improved skill set.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
It's good that he sees he needs to learn to wrestle in order to apply his BJJ. His standup isn't really so good, but much better than a year ago. I just hope he goes back to submitting guys because if he tries to stand with good strikers he's going to get picked apart. Maybe Belcher will be the one to beat him up on the feet so Maia realizes his bread and butter is his BJJ.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I think his wrestling is a lot better than we saw in the Silva fight. It was very obvious that he was timid and wasn't pulling the trigger. Maia got Chael to the ground just fine. Maia did not look like himself at all in the Silva fight.

With that being said, improving his wrestling will only help him more. I would rather see him keep working on his striking to become more of a complete fighter.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Demian should pull off the win although I'd like to see a Nate/Vitor vs Belcher fight. Belcher will probably have a mental lapse within the three rounds and get taken down at least once. But his BJJ isn't too shabby though.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I honestly can't see Belcher losing to Maia. I believe Belcher's underrated if people think Maia's going to pull out a victory.
If Maia tries to stand with him, then yes he could lose this one!

But he is not going to do that. And Belchers TDD is not really existing. Maia will submit him pretty easily in the first or second round.

But IF he is not able to submit Belcher, then I really have to say that BJJ became useless over the years.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
If Maia tries to stand with him, then yes he could lose this one!

But he is not going to do that. And Belchers TDD is not really existing. Maia will submit him pretty easily in the first or second round.

But IF he is not able to submit Belcher, then I really have to say that BJJ became useless over the years.
I think you're one of them Underrating Belcher. His TDD isn't epic, sure, but he's solid off his back and he's very tough to hold down. Demian is a Master at BJJ butt even at master level, it's harder to submit someone than it is to defend a submission so it's going to be tough. Alan will have a pretty decent Size and Strength advantage and I'm sure he'll have an advantage in the reach department too.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I think you're one of them Underrating Belcher. His TDD isn't epic, sure, but he's solid off his back and he's very tough to hold down. Demian is a Master at BJJ butt even at master level, it's harder to submit someone than it is to defend a submission so it's going to be tough. Alan will have a pretty decent Size and Strength advantage and I'm sure he'll have an advantage in the reach department too.
I give him the advantage on the feet of course. But IF Maia get's him to the ground, similar to what Cote did, then Maia should be able to submit him. If Demian really is not able to do this again (like in the Dan Miller fight. But there I take it easy on him, because I didn't really saw him trying to go for a sub that much) then I would really lose faith in the art of Jiu-jitsu and there so called Masters..

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I give him the advantage on the feet of course. But IF Maia get's him to the ground, similar to what Cote did, then Maia should be able to submit him. If Demian really is not able to do this again (like in the Dan Miller fight. But there I take it easy on him, because I didn't really saw him trying to go for a sub that much) then I would really lose faith in the art of Jiu-jitsu and there so called Masters..
I don't think you can say BJJ is useless if he doesn't submit Belcher on the ground, because Belcher knows BJJ as well and will use it to defend. It's like saying boxing is useless because in a boxing match one guy didn't knock out the other. Say what?!

Now, I do agree that BJJ isn't the end-all-be-all that some make it out to be, and I train it! Catch wrestling, submission wrestling, Judo, Greco-Roman - All are great grappling arts. BJJ isn't useless by any means, no matter if Maia gets his back with his arm around his neck and can't get the choke.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I don't think you can say BJJ is useless if he doesn't submit Belcher on the ground, because Belcher knows BJJ as well and will use it to defend. It's like saying boxing is useless because in a boxing match one guy didn't knock out the other. Say what?!

Now, I do agree that BJJ isn't the end-all-be-all that some make it out to be, and I train it! Catch wrestling, submission wrestling, Judo, Greco-Roman - All are great grappling arts. BJJ isn't useless by any means, no matter if Maia gets his back with his arm around his neck and can't get the choke.
I didn't really mean that that way. It's just IF not even a BJJ Master who is called to be the best in MMA today, is not even able to submit a Brown Belt like Belcher, then I say BJJ is useless and you should not practise it more to actually try to sub people but rather only to defend sub attempts. And just work your way up until blue-brown belt and that should be enough even against BJJ Masters who are known to sub other Blackbelts with ease.. I know that the BJJ Guard is already dead in MMA. But if a Master like Demian is on top of you and can not even submit a brown belt like Belcher, then I don't know what I should thing of this Art today.

It's the same when everybody wouldn't even have 1 class in BJJ. If nobody knew what it was, it would be the same.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I didn't really mean that that way. It's just IF not even a BJJ Master who is called to be the best in MMA today, is not even able to submit a Brown Belt like Belcher, then I say BJJ is useless and you should not practise it more to actually try to sub people but rather only to defend sub attempts. And just work your way up until blue-brown belt and that should be enough even against BJJ Masters who are known to sub other Blackbelts with ease.. I know that the BJJ Guard is already dead in MMA. But if a Master like Demian is on top of you and can not even submit a brown belt like Belcher, then I don't know what I should thing of this Art today.

It's the same when everybody wouldn't even have 1 class in BJJ. If nobody knew what it was, it would be the same.
Ahh, I see your point. Well, I'd counter that there's much more to BJJ than just submissions. People immediately think of submissions when talking about BJJ just like they think of knockouts when they think of boxing.

The truth is is that BJJ is just another face of the sport called grappling. Submissions are just a part of grappling; you also develop strength, learn how to sweep and achieve better positions, how to hold that position, and on and on.

Being a relatively athletic guy who was a hardcore MMA fan, in my first BJJ class I went in and didn't get submitted. The flipside was that I had no idea how to get out of people's guard or how to really do anything but hold top position. Learning more BJJ has helped me develop, and not just submissions.

I do agree that learning the basics of BJJ can keep you out of most submission trouble. That's very true. However, continuing training will continue to sharpen your takedowns, your sweeps, your control, your strength/conditioning, etc.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Yep thats very true what you said. But I wasn't going there!

The goal in a BJJ tournament is to submit your opponent. Thats the Goal. Thats what a guy like Maia trained for and did for years and years and became one of the greatest at. He tries to out grapple you and then take you out while he found the perfect position to apply a submission hold. Thats his goal! He is not a pure Wrestler who tries to control you on the ground and beat you up or make you quit with Punches to the face or body. He looks for the one little opening ( wich a guy like Belcher should and must give him ) and end the fight via one of the most beautiful submissions.

Thats what I wanna see and demand from a ADCC World Champion against just a normal Brown Belt. Demian should make this fight a BJJ competiton and submit Belcher!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maia is an amazing fighter. He went in and subbed every fighter before Marquardt (or something similar to that feat). Then he tried to stand with Miller and ended up fighting Silva (of course that went the way it did).

This isn't a knock of Maia or BJJ. I just don't think Maia will be able to keep Belcher down. Maia's not bad at taking people down (he even took Sonnen down)... but I just have a feeling.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Maia has some weird trips and judo aspects to his takedowns, and regularly pulls guard to get the fight on the mat.. but a decent shot and some pure wrestling training is exactly what he needs.

Once the guy gets on top, merely inside your guard, you're in serious trouble.

side note: make the palhares fight happen already.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts