Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
International politics made a surprise cameo appearance on a major American Mixed Martial Arts event when winner and Armenian born fighter Manuel Gamburyan audibly said the word "genocide" on the Pay Per View broadcast.

Mixed martial artist Manuel "Manny" Gamburyan dared to publicly say the words that President Barack Obama wouldn't dare to say today -- genocide. Gamburyan had just scored a big KO win over former WEC featherweight champ Mike Brown at WEC 48: Aldo vs Faber -- a pay per view event put on by Zuffa, the parent company of the popular UFC.

For those who aren't following the politics, Gamburyan was referring to President Obama's breaking of a campaign promise to use the term "genocide" in reference to the slaughter of Armenians by Turks in the early 20th Century.

The New York Times has more on that:

President Obama, who as a candidate vowed to use the term genocide to describe the Ottoman mass slaughter of Armenians nearly a century ago, once again declined to do so on Saturday as he marked the anniversary of the start of the killings.

In Yerevan, Armenians on Saturday solemnly observed the 95th anniversary of the genocide that began in 1915 under the Ottoman Turk government. About 1.5 million Armenians were killed.

Trying to navigate one of the more emotionally fraught foreign policy challenges, Mr. Obama issued a statement from his weekend getaway here commemorating the victims of the killings but tried to avoid alienating Turkey, a NATO ally, which adamantly rejects the genocide label.

So props to Gamburyan for slipping a rare and courageous political moment into an MMA Event.

No American President has ever used the term since we formed a close alliance with Turkey during the Cold War.

Learn more about the Armenian genocide from Wikipedia:

The Armenian Genocide (Armenian: Հայոց Ցեղասպանություն, translit.: Hayoc' C'eġaspanowt'yown; Turkish: Ermeni Soykırımı) - also known as the Armenian Holocaust, the Armenian Massacres and, by Armenians, as the Great Crime (Մեծ Եղեռն, Mec Eġeṙn, Armenian pronunciation: [mɛts jɛˈʁɛrn]) - refers to the deliberate and systematic destruction (genocide) of the Armenian population of the Ottoman Empire during and just after World War I.[1] It was implemented through wholesale massacres and deportations, with the deportations consisting of forced marches under conditions designed to lead to the death of the deportees. The total number of resulting Armenian deaths is generally held to have been between one and one and a half million.[2][3][4][5][6] Other ethnic groups were similarly attacked by the Ottoman Empire during this period, including Assyrians and Greeks, and some scholars consider those events to be part of the same policy of extermination.[7][8][9]

It is widely acknowledged to have been one of the first modern genocides,[10][11][12] as scholars point to the systematic, organized manner in which the killings were carried out to eliminate the Armenians,[13] and it is the second most-studied case of genocide after the Holocaust.[14] The word genocide[15] was coined in order to describe these events.[16]
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/24/1442741/armenian-mma-fighter-manuel

·
Registered
925 Posts
Unfortunately our political “leaders” have always made exceptions for countries we do business with or need as political allies.
Just look at who some of our “friends” have been and continue to be and how they treat their own citizens and neighbors……..Saudi Arabia, China, etc

Respect to Gamburyan for having the balls to call it what is was, Genocide against the Armenian people by the Ottoman – Turks.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
Unfortunately our political “leaders” have always made exceptions for countries we do business with or need as political allies.
Just look at who some of our “friends” have been and continue to be and how they treat their own citizens and neighbors……..Saudi Arabia, China, etc

Respect to Gamburyan for having the balls to call it what is was, Genocide against the Armenian people by the Ottoman – Turks.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
LOL @ The article using Wikipedia as a credibly source.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
lol that you dont understand why its easy to tell if a given article on WP can be considered credible, and why in most cases they can.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
Wikipedia uses references for every statement made, if no reference is provided it explicitly says that one is lacking and the argument made have no backing. If the references are good, then the information is good. In fact most of the wikipedia stuff is excellent, reliable source. But there are some rare cases where articles are twisted in favour of some interested party.

I have no link but a collegue of mine said he read a scientific study that revealed that wikipedia is on average no less accurate then a commercial encyclopedia. I havent seen this study myself but I trust my college. I work at an academic faculty as a grad student (the faculty of inorganic chemistry, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm) so I assume the guy knows what hes talking about.

Put more trust in open source material. Sure anyone can enter wrong information by choice, but everyone also has the opportunity to correct such errors.

I'm not saying wikipedia is flawless but regarless of source a viewer must always apply critical thinking and question the sources used, this is a foundation for all science.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
lol that you dont understand why its easy to tell if a given article on WP can be considered credible, and why in most cases they can.
LOL @ You missing the point.

Wikipedia uses references for every statement made, if no reference is provided it explicitly says that one is lacking and the argument made have no backing. If the references are good, then the information is good. In fact most of the wikipedia stuff is excellent, reliable source. But there are some rare cases where articles are twisted in favour of some interested party.

I have no link but a collegue of mine said he read a scientific study that revealed that wikipedia is on average no less accurate then a commercial encyclopedia. I havent seen this study myself but I trust my college. I work at an academic faculty as a grad student (the faculty of inorganic chemistry, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm) so I assume the guy knows what hes talking about.

Put more trust in open source material. Sure anyone can enter wrong information by choice, but everyone also has the opportunity to correct such errors.

I'm not saying wikipedia is flawless but regarless of source a viewer must always apply critical thinking and question the sources used, this is a foundation for all science.
Don't get me wrong, I use Wikipedia fairly often, but it can easily be distorted. I did a report on WW II once and Wikipedia told me Hitler was a famous finger painter born in rome 459 BC. My friends have sent me links and brag about crap they've done. A credible source shouldn't be something as easily changable as Wikipedia.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I use Wikipedia fairly often, but it can easily be distorted. I did a report on WW II once and Wikipedia told me Hitler was a famous finger paint born in rome 459 BC. My friends have sent me links and brag about crap they've done. A credible source shouldn't be something as easily changable as Wikipedia.
Yeah, I also have seen some hilarious stuff on the wiki. The thing is these things gets corrected fast, and if a statement don't have a source/reference you can just ignore it if your unsure.

Generous application of critical thinking makes all the difference. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL @ You missing the point.

Don't get me wrong, I use Wikipedia fairly often, but it can easily be distorted. I did a report on WW II once and Wikipedia told me Hitler was a famous finger painter born in rome 459 BC. My friends have sent me links and brag about crap they've done. A credible source shouldn't be something as easily changable as Wikipedia.
So if you see stupid things like that, check the sources at the bottom to make sure it's real...

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
Yeah, I also have seen some hilarious stuff on the wiki. The thing is these things gets corrected fast, and if a statement don't have a source/reference you can just ignore it if your unsure.

Generous application of critical thinking makes all the difference. :thumbsup:
Not to mention that the ability for editors to join en masse is the reason it has many times the articles of any other comparable encyclopedia out there. Try finding a relatively obscure band page in the Encyclopedia Brittannica :) And like you said, stuff is corrected rapidly- the more important the topic the more editors that are patrolling it, a lot of them are receiving email updates on their watched pages and have reversions applied within minutes.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
It's just a word. Politicians in Germany were afraid to use the word war for what's happening in Afghanistan until recently. I don't get it. Call the sucker by its name, will you? In what "mission of peace and reconstruction" do people die constantly? Also, if one kind of people kill another kind of people it's genocide. What's the deal?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts

Precisely! Well stated. +rep

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Manny is fooling himself if he thinks "he" beat Brown, Brown was beat when he skipped 14 days of camp when his girlfriend left him.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
It's a very emotional day for Armenians.. the 95th anniversary of the systematic extermination of 1.5 million Armenians in 1915.

It's recognized by countries who do not have political and military ties to Turkey (who refuse to admit it happened).

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Manny is fooling himself if he thinks "he" beat Brown, Brown was beat when he skipped 14 days of camp when his girlfriend left him.
cool story, bro

Mike Brown should hand in his man card. Anybody saying this is a legit excuse should hand in their man card aswell.

zomg my GF left me, i better not train.... hahahaha

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Thank god Captain Obvious arrived!
Seriously dude, you can't use the "captain obvious" comment on someone who's explaining something to a person who clearly didn't know.

And there are lots of people on this forum and elsewhere who still don't know how Wikipedia works. But since they usually believe everything on the Internet except Wikipedia, I usually link the source on the Wiki page directly to them instead if it's on the web. Works fine, but I think people would still benefit from knowing how a dictionary works.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts