Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Davis ready to fight, weighs his options

Marcus Davis feels a lot lighter on his feet these days.

Coming off two losses in a row, the 36-year-old was in need of a change. So Davis is focusing less on the weight room, a decision he hopes will lead to a successful 2010.

The native of Bangor, Maine, feels he is in the best shape of his life.

“It’s weird for me because normally I walk around at 205 and right now I’m 180 pounds,” Davis said recently. “I’m probably about 180 pounds five days before the fight. So I’m in really good shape.”

After competing on the second season of The Ultimate Fighter, Davis became one of the most improved fighters to grace the UFC. Since 2006, he is 8-3 inside the Octagon. However, he has lost three of his last five fights.

“I’m staying off the weights and that’s one thing that’s been a problem.” Davis said. “Every time I’ve been fighting people I’ve always, depending on who it was, jumped on the weights. And every fight I’ve ever lost I’ve been using the weights.

“The (Mike) Swick fight I actually got injured because of weightlifting. The Dan Hardy fight I did a lot of weight training and I still think I won that fight, but whatever. And my last fight I did a lot of weight training. So I’m giving that stuff up. I’m not doing it anymore and just sticking to plyometrics, isometric training and my fight training.”

Davis, who trains out of the Somerville-based Sityodtong gym, has lofty goals for the year. He is scheduled to fight Jonathan Goulet at UFC 113 in May, and hopes to finish out his contract and fight a total of four times before 2011.

“I want to go through ‘10 and not lose a fight. That’s my goal. I want to have four fights in 2010,’‘ he said.

Davis will turn 37 in August and though fighters like Randy Couture and Mark Coleman are fighting well into their 40’s, he has no plans to do so. He’s already planning out a post-fighting future. He owns two Team Irish mixed martial arts gyms in Maine, has done fight analyst work and owns a clothing business.

“I have no interest in fighting into my 40’s. I’m not going to be that one-dimensional fighter that takes all of his money and blows it,” he said. “I still live in Bangor, Maine. I live a modest lifestyle. I learned from being a boxer and watching what happened to boxers.”

Though he wouldn’t say for sure, 2010 could be the final fight year for “The Irish Hand Grenade.”

“I’m going to finish out this contract, get my four fights through and then talk to my family and see what happens,” said Davis. “That’s what crazy about this, I could win four fights and get a title shot. You just don’t know what’s going to happen. Then I’ll talk to my family and figure out if I should keep on going or not.”

[email protected]
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/inside_the_octagon/index.php/2010/04/12/davis-ready-to-fight-weighs-his-options/

·
Registered
262 Posts
I like Marcus Davis. He seems like a smart guy. I don't think he will ever get a title shot, but I must say that I like watching him fight. He always is there to bang and has improved his ground game by leaps and bounds. Whatever his decision after this year, I will enjoy his next few (maybe last few) fights.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
He is a war torn veteran who is still a very dangerous oponent. No shame in loosing to Swick or Hardy. No matter how his last fights go I think he should retire after the contract is finished. Too many fighters stay past their prime and even though some of them still are very dangerous I think its better to retire early then late.

Basically, whenever you start to decline instead of progress you should hang up the gloves. Even thought from the fighters perspective this is very hard to see as most percive themself to be improving still when in fact they are slowing down and showing signs of age. Randy Coture comes to mind and many many others.

·
Banned
820 Posts
If he gets past Goulet I would love to see him back for a couple more fights, but if he can not do that I think it would be time to hang up the gloves.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Goulet will KO him.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Don't know why people hate on em...he's a stand up dude. Hope he gets his rematch with with Hardy and KOs em. If he strings a couple of wins together it'll happen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmm, I think he is making a bit of a mistake by giving them up completely.

The older you get, the slower you become, the less cardio you have, the less athletisim u will have, BUT STRENGTH in men is usually gained and maintained late into old age and it's the last thing to go.

I think davis should focus on maintaining his strength by doing way less volume he did in the past, only focus on the big 3/4 lifs. Squats, Deadlifts, and bench / overhead press, and he should cut the volume WAY WAY down and focus on like reps of 3-5, And only lift a few days a week.

His biggest strength at WW seems to be his strength, and I think its a mistake to let that go any. He isn't going to get any better athletically at this point.

Also I would say he was def the better all around mma athlete in the Hardy Fight and looked great in the first part of the first round. But then he started to get hit by huge elbows knees and elbows from the ground that fucked his shit up and lost him the fight. That and he couldnt land any strikes that hurt Hardy.

Ohwell there are worse things in life that losing a MMA fight to a guyy with a red moehawk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts