good match up there . diaz by sub imo .The "Irish Hand Grenade" got his wish to fight in Beantown.
Not long after Marcus Davis (17-6 MMA, 9-4 UFC) told MMAjunkie.com Radio that UFC officials were trying to get him a spot on the UFC 118 fight card, Nate Diaz (12-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) has answered the call to fight him at the East Coast event.
Sources close to the promotion today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the two have verbally agreed to the fight with bout agreements expected to be signed shortly.
UFC 118 is expected to take place Aug. 28 at Boston's TD Garden; it'll be the first UFC event to be held in Massachusetts since the sport received official sanctioning earlier this year. A lightweight title rematch between newly minted champion Frankie Edgar and former champion B.J. Penn headlines the event.
The bout could air on Spike TV, which has become a home for televised preliminary-card fights leading into UFC pay-per-view cards. Ten of the "UFC Prelims" specials are contracted for 2010, though the UFC and Spike TV have not announced if such a special will coincide with the event.
Diaz recently rubbed shoulders with controversy for his role in an April 17 melee at "Strikeforce: Nashville." He was seen in the midst of a swarm that erupted after middleweight Jason "Mayhem" Miller called out Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields in the wake of Shields' victory over Dan Henderson at the April 17 event.
Six people who participated in the CBS-televised brawl await possible suspension and/or fines from the Tennessee Athletic Commission, though their names have yet to be officially released. A commission meeting scheduled for Thursday in Nashville was delayed by massive flooding that's submerged much of the city's downtown area. The meeting tentatively has been rescheduled for May 27.
If Diaz is held responsible for his part in the brawl, the TAC could fine him up to $250,000, though he could appeal the fine and delay its enactment.
Davis, 36, is fresh off a victory against Jonathan Goulet at this past Saturday's UFC 113 event. The May 8 win reversed a two-fight slide to division standouts Mike Swick and Ben Saunders and bought some job security.
The former pro boxer credited his UFC 113 win to a new pre-fight nutritional and workout regimen that places less emphasis on weight-cutting and weight-lifting.
"I cut out the weight-cutting and didn't get tired," Davis said. "When I came back out for the second (round), I felt like I did when I came out for the first. It allows me to train a lot harder right up until the last weeks of the fight instead of needing to take off more time to rest because of the diet change ... from 4,000 calories to just under 2,000."
With the quick turnaround, Davis plans to stay on his diet and in the gym.
Diaz, 25, announced his move to welterweight with an emphatic win over Rory Markham at UFC 111 in March. After serving the bulk of his career at lightweight, the Cesar Gracie-trained fighter recently told MMAjunkie.com he had little desire to continue fighting in the division unless the UFC made it worth his while.
"I can get bigger easier or I can get smaller easier, but I've been dieting for the last six years, and I'm getting [expletive] fed up with it, going in there not having enough energy," Diaz said. "I'm running off no fuel, going off of vegetables and fruits. It's hit or miss."
Diaz's decision was prompted in part by a decision loss to Gray Maynard in January that may have cost him a contender spot in the 155-pound division.
Following his winning run on "The Ultimate Fighter 5," Diaz racked up four consecutive victories before he lost two hotly contested decisions to division standouts Clay Guida and Joe Stevenson.