Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know im not the only one who would love to see this fight. Mark Hunt is a very accomplished k1 striker, who i believe has by far the best chin in mma. He loves standup brawls and would by no means be scared to stand up with Toney. This guy has taken kicks to the head from Lebanner and Crocop in there primes and shrugged them off. I know many people are bitching about him getting signed but go watch his fight with Wanderlei and tell me you wouldnt want to see this fight. I think that alot of people will automatically think Toney will take this one but take into account that hunt has K.O power in both hands and both feet and an amazing chin. This would be no easy fight for toney, even if it was exclusively stand up. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I don't know about him being able to win. His striking has never been great, he just has a granite chin. But, Manhoef put him away recently and if he could, I think Toney could.

Would be an interesting fight though.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
i'd pick mark hunt 5 years ago but he hasn't got his chin anymore, manhoef KO'd him in under 20secs

but good thread i never thought of this and maybe they signed hunt so after the couture fight toney will have someone to fight.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Back when Hunt had a chin he would take it IMO due to the fact its not that simple to just train yourself to watch for kicks,guys who box at Toney's level have spent year learning and pounding that stuff into there heads. Its not something he concentrates on its pretty much instinct and what does every fighter fall back on in the end? Instinct which for Toney will mean ignoreing the kicks and the TD's. That said I think Toney is closer to his prime than Hunt is and I am not sure Hunt has figured out his chin is gone so I think Toney could take it now.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Back when Hunt had a chin he would take it IMO due to the fact its not that simple to just train yourself to watch for kicks,guys who box at Toney's level have spent year learning and pounding that stuff into there heads. Its not something he concentrates on its pretty much instinct and what does every fighter fall back on in the end? Instinct which for Toney will mean ignoreing the kicks and the TD's. That said I think Toney is closer to his prime than Hunt is and I am not sure Hunt has figured out his chin is gone so I think Toney could take it now.
I completely agree. Hunt is past his prime. I would say Toney probably is too, but still has a lot of good fight left in him. Hunt doesn't appear to put the time in training or have the ability he used to. Five years ago, Toney realizes he should have learned how to check leg kicks while he's thinking about that he gets KO'd. Now I think Toney knocks him out.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Toney would pick him apart standing up even when Hunt was 'good' back in the day.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I agree in a way.
If this would be a stand-up fight, i would give Toney bigger chances, but this isn't boxing, so...:)
You have to take in account the fact that out of his last 5 losses, he lost 4 of them by submission. And how about the fighters who submitted him?! : Fedor, Overeem, Mousassi and Barnett. All of these fighters are known for their good-to excellent ground game. All of them were known to have superior grappling skills than Mark Hunt. Even Fedor opted to take him down. And i remember Hunt almost pulled a Kimura on Fedor, after surviving an armbar attempt. He faired more than decent against Fedor in that fight on the ground.
Only Manhoef KO'd Hunt.
I still think Hunt has a lot in him. His last 5 fights don't tell the whole story about him. His losses to Mousassi and Manhoef are the ones who eaised a big question sign about him. I think a lot had to do with motivation and preparation.

In conclusion, if these 2 were to fight, i think Hunt would just take Toney down and submit him. If he almost subbed Fedor why would he have a tough time on subbing Toney?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts