Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Matt Brown vs. Demian Maia scrap added to May's UFC Fight Night 87 in Brazil

By MMAjunkie Staff January 25, 2016 3:00 pm

A welterweight scrap between a pair of highly regarded veterans has made its way to the lineup for the UFC’s May return to Brazil.

Matt Brown (20-13 MMA, 13-7 UFC) will fight in the country for the first time when he meets Brazil’s own Demian Maia (22-6 MMA, 16-6 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 87. UFC officials announced the new booking today.

UFC Fight Night 87 takes place in Brazil on May 14 – though an exact location has not yet been announced by the promotion. Vitor Belfort and Ronaldo Souza, two of the biggest MMA stars in the country, headline the show in a middleweight bout. The main card is expected to air on FOX Sports 1.

Brown was on the cusp of a welterweight title shot after a seven-fight win streak between 2012-2014. Included in that run were six knockouts in seven fights and four post-fight bonus awards. But he dropped a unanimous decision to Robbie Lawler in a title eliminator – and also missed weight for the fight. He followed that up in March 2015 with a decision loss to former champ Johny Hendricks.

But in July 2015, he got back on track with a submission win over Tim Means at UFC 189. That earned him a main event against Kelvin Gastelum at UFC Fight Night 80 in Mexico, but an injury forced him from the card. Now he’s ready to get back to work and will fight outside the United States for just the second time in his pro career of more than 10 years.

Maia will be looking to run his winning streak to five fights against Brown. After back-to-back decision losses to Jake Shields and Rory MacDonald, Maia has wins over Alexander Yakolev, Ryan LaFlare, Neil Magny and, most recently, Gunnar Nelson at UFC 194 in December.
http://mmajunkie.com/2016/01/matt-brown-vs-demian-maia-scrap-added-to-mays-ufc-fight-night-87-in-brazil

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
Clash of styles. Basically, whoever is able to keep the fight where he wants, shall win. If Maia wins this, I'd like to see him challenging the champion next.

·
The 55%
16,517 Posts
Very very interesting fight.

Matt Brown Vs Demian Maia in striking? Ridiculously unmatched. Maia could hit him for a month and still not hurt him.

But this isn't a striking match, and Matt is just the kind of aggressive to get taken down and just the kind of stubborn to try and grapple with Maia. Matt Brown is a supreme jiu jitsu guy off his back. Extremely talented....just not Demian Maia extremely talented.

It's very easy to see Maia absolutely dominating Brown with grappling like he did with Gunnar Nelson, but it's also very easy to see Matt Brown smashing his face in with elbows.

Fantastic clash of styles.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Yea I got Maia pretty easy here.

If Maia wins I'd say Maia in a number 1 contender right. Id say Maia vs Hendricks ahould Hendricks beat Wonder Boy......if that card even still happens..

·
'England Elite'
5,028 Posts
Looking forward to this fight! Like Clyde said, a complete clash in styles, where you can see outcomes for both fighters, it all depends who can keep it where they want it.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Great great fight, think Matt takes it by not allowing Maia to drag it to the ground!

If Maia somehow wins this, i don´t mind him seeing him fight for the title as i´m pretty sure he can´t get past any top contender, so it´s the only way to give him that final award for a great career!

·
Premium Member
5,331 Posts
Gunnar and Magny bought thought they could grapple with Maia and beat him. Naive. Matt Brown wont make the same mistake!

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Maia is a monster at 170....hell, he was awesome at 185 too..and he hasn't slowed down at 40 years old.

As much as I like Brown I just can't bet against Maia in this one. I think it's Maia's fight to lose.

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
Gunnar and Magny bought thought they could grapple with Maia and beat him. Naive. Matt Brown wont make the same mistake!
It's not like people are "trying to grapple" with Damian Maia, come on.
It would be like having a camp focused on beating Ronda at Judo.
The thing is, once Maia takes people to the ground, he just weighs on them like he was a heavyweight. Gunnar and Magny are not stupid, of course they didn't want to be there.

·
The 55%
16,517 Posts
It's not like people are "trying to grapple" with Damian Maia, come on.
It would be like having a camp focused on beating Ronda at Judo.
The thing is, once Maia takes people to the ground, he just weighs on them like he was a heavyweight. Gunnar and Magny are not stupid, of course they didn't want to be there.
I reckon Gunnar went down pretty easily. Gunnar though was VERY confident in his grappling and with good reason.

Magny, yeah no chance he wanted to grapple. His weakness is those body lock clinch takedowns and that's Maia's speciality. On the ground, Maia has never looked anything less than the best.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
I reckon Gunnar went down pretty easily. Gunnar though was VERY confident in his grappling and with good reason.
Yes, Nelson manhandled his former opponents on the ground with ease, so he had a case to go to the ground. If I remember correctly, in the pre-fight interviews he explicitly said he wanted to go to the ground with Maia.

Magny, yeah no chance he wanted to grapple. His weakness is those body lock clinch takedowns and that's Maia's speciality. On the ground, Maia has never looked anything less than the best.
As long as he didn't gas.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I got Maia all the way. He will get Matt down and once on the ground, I doubt it'll even make it to a decision. Maia will make Matt look like a white belt on the ground.

Either way, Maia by submission or UD.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Maia has controlled some massive WW's (Rory Mac) and MW's obviously so hard to imagine he can't do the same with Brown. Sure, he'd lose a stand up war to Brown as he would to pretty much anyone but I see no reason at all to think there will be one. Should be an easy win for Maia. If Maia gasses after controlling Brown in round one then mayyyybe Brown could comeback in the last two rounds like Rory did but I don't expect Brown to be as difficult to control as Macdonald.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts