Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Matt Hamill has technically won 4 in a row against some decent competiton. I personally am not much of a fan of him and think that he will get crushed against any top LHW. Just curious to where you guys think he stands in the division

·
Registered
225 Posts
He moved up a little last night but is still a middle of the pack fighter. He needs to beat some one in his next fight that is the same caliber as Rich Franklin or Bisping people he has lost to really be considered at the top or near the top. (Although he didnt lose to bisping)

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
So Matt Hamill has technically won 4 in a row against some decent competiton. I personally am not much of a fan of him and think that he will get crushed against any top LHW. Just curious to where you guys think he stands in the division
4 wins but 1 was an ass kicking he received and the other a close decision that he was lucky to be poked in the eye. The only top 10 fighter he has fought was Jones and he was being dominated till Jones was disqualified.

Definitely doesn't deserve and won't get a title shot. Any top 10 fighter will whoop him.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Not a chance Matt "Hellen Keller" Hamill (Sorry it's meant with love, think about what Hellen Keller over came, it's actually kind of a compliment.) lasts more then a round with anyone in the top 5. He's a quality fighter, but at this point still a gate keeper. Needs a fight with a guy ranked in the 9-6 range before stepping near a title shot. Maybe Franklin, Thiago Silva, Bader or Couture, maybe even Lil Nog after that terrible showing he put on in his last fight.

4 wins but 1 was an ass kicking he received and the other a close decision that he was lucky to be poked in the eye. The only top 10 fighter he has fought was Jones and he was being dominated till Jones was disqualified.
Technically he would have still won that fight without the point lost, it just would have been a split decision instead of a majority.

Reactions: kgilstrap

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Definitely doesn't deserve and won't get a title shot. Any top 10 fighter will whoop him.
I agree with you I think Hamill will get crushed by any top LHW. He doesnt have the striking ability and seems to have really stopped wrestling with people which was his main strength. I think he should face some decent competition next but i just cant see him moving any higher

·
Banned
439 Posts

This!

Has he fought Bader yet? That should be his next opponent if he hasn't. Then if he gets past him, a top 5 for #1 contender status.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Technically he would have still won that fight without the point lost, it just would have been a split decision instead of a majority.
Jardine was winning the fight up until that point deduction then he fell apart. I don't think Hammill would have won had he of not been poked and the point deducted as weird as that sounds lol.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Matt is decent fighter , but i think to move up the ladder , he should join a camp like Xtreme Couture . i think someone like randy can really tune up his strengths and make him a force in the upper tier of the division .

·
'England Elite'
5,028 Posts
Dont be silly, i cant even believe this is being discussed.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Are you joking? Did you forget what happen to Hamill when he fought Jon "BONES" Jones? He got tooled. Who cares if he got a DQ win, he would have ended up losing that fight anyway.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Not a chance Matt "Hellen Keller" Hamill (Sorry it's meant with love) lasts more then a round with anyone in the top 5. He's a quality fighter, but at this point still a gate keeper. Needs a fight with a guy ranked in the 9-6 range before stepping near a title shot. Maybe Franklin, Thiago Silva, Bader or Couture, maybe even Lil Nog after that terrible showing he put on in his last fight.

Yeah he would've, but I had it as a draw, too. So it was still a close decision and he would've lost without the point.

He KO'd Reese Andy who is nothing in the division, he TKO'd Munoz who is a MIDDLE WEIGHT.

He LOST to Jon Jones. The DQ was horse shit. He didn't dislocate his shoulder getting elbowed in the face, he dislocated his shoulder when JBJ rag dolled his ass across the cage with a hip toss. Should've been a point deduction and then a TKO due to the shoulder injury, horrible call. Gifted win IMO.

And IMO he lost to Jardine, I had Jardine winning the first and last with the second being a 10-8 for Matt due to the eye poke. I don't know how they scored that for Jardine honestly, he landed 3 times the punches Hammill did in that last round o_O

·
Registered
169 Posts
He needs a rematch with Jon Jones, i was so pissed at that fight because it ruined jone's perfect record, and matt quit because of his shoulder not illegal strikes, completely retarded. Jon Jones is awesome man, very entertaining fighter, i'd love to watch him fight anybody especially matt again. DO you guys know if it's the ref, judges or who that decides to DQ instead NC a fight like that, originally steve took a point away then he ended up DQ'd who made it a DQ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think he still has to fight a guy like Vera...if he were to win that then he would deserve a fight against a top level guy...maybe Forest Griffin.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I suppose you could technically give him a top 5 fighter now. jardine has never really been that awesome yet he was tooling Hammill pretty well until he gassed. I don't really know any top 5 guy Hammill could beat, but I suppose they could feed him to someone like Rampage next and give him a chance to pull an upset. :p

·
Registered
792 Posts
I agree he should fight Bader next. Hamill got man handled by Jones and Franklin beat him fairly easily. I suspect Bader would get a decision, possibly a TKO

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
I'll grant you Jardine was out pointing Hamill in rounds 1 and 3 but he didn't do the damage Matt did and he wasn't pushing the fight. I thought Jardine was going down in the exchange before the eye poke and that saved him from getting knocked out (of the UFC).

As for Hamill I think he's good enough to take on Machida or Little Nog if he can beat either one of those guys then yes he should get a shot at the title.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Yeah he would've, but I had it as a draw, too. So it was still a close decision and he would've lost without the point.

He KO'd Reese Andy who is nothing in the division, he TKO'd Munoz who is a MIDDLE WEIGHT.

He LOST to Jon Jones. The DQ was horse shit. He didn't dislocate his shoulder getting elbowed in the face, he dislocated his shoulder when JBJ rag dolled his ass across the cage with a hip toss. Should've been a point deduction and then a TKO due to the shoulder injury, horrible call. Gifted win IMO.

And IMO he lost to Jardine, I had Jardine winning the first and last with the second being a 10-8 for Matt due to the eye poke. I don't know how they scored that for Jardine honestly, he landed 3 times the punches Hammill did in that last round o_O
I still think his record should be 8-2 in the UFC.

He should have lost that fight with Jones for sure, but he also should have won the fight with Bisping.

A also gave Hammill the 3rd round vs Jardine. He may have landed less punches in the stand up but he did get the take down and some GnP and Jardine was back peddling for almost the whole round.

But yea, in regards to the OP. His biggest win to date is Jardine and that doesn't put you in line for much of anything any more.

It didn't help that he had a staph infection though.

·
Administrator
15,546 Posts
He didn't beat Jon Jones though, IMO. He really got beat down bad in that fight, and the fight was finished not by the elbow, but Matt was plain out unable to continue.

I don't consider him on a 4 fight win streak at all, and I highly doubt the UFC does, either.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I think he still has to fight a guy like Vera...if he were to win that then he would deserve a fight against a top level guy...maybe Forest Griffin.
Hammil would probably destroy Vera. Matt isn't close to being on the upper level yet, but I'd really like to see him up there. Hes a nice guy.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
A mediocre win against Jardine doesn't mean much, if there was no eye poke deduction, that would of been a draw I believe. Jardine 1 judge, 1 judge tie, Hammill 1 judge.

Lil Nog vs Hamill would be an even match-up that makes sense as far as ability - could go either way.

After that he'd need to beat Franklin, Machida, Rampage or Forrest - neither will happen. If he rematches Jon Jones, that ending is pretty predictable as well.

Unless Anderson Silva gets a LHW shot first, Bones Jones will take and hold LHW to stop the Merry go round.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts