Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lay and pray

How can you be that good of a wrestler and not try to advance you position? The guy just needs to advance to side or full mount and swing away. He just lays in the guy's half-guard and tries to hit them with hammerfists. Boring. This guy trains with Tito and doesn't understand the gnp style. Give me a break.

·
Registered
376 Posts
this guy needs to get the hell out of the ufc.. and work his way up in some tiny divisions.. this is stupid.. dana just milkin money from him cuz he's disabled.. by the way ufc need to stop callin people strikers when they suck at it like forrest

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ouch! So harsh!

Matt Hamill is like raw clay bro! Wait until he gets another year and two or three fights out of the way.

A) The guy seems to know no fear. He wades right into some serious punches unfazed.

B) His striking inside the clinch is great

C) His wrestling is Olympic Calibre.

Add to to that, he works out of a good ground and pound camp and a well conditioned camp at that. If he can learn some submissions from Lister and get stronger at striking, he could go far. remember, no one said he's an elite fighter. he just has the right tools to go further in the sport. A year or two and he could be a contender.

·
LEGEN...wait for it...DARY
5,066 Posts
Exactly my point...a year or two and he could be a contender. He isn't even a mixed-martial artist yet. The guy needs too much training right now. Don't get me wrong I don't question his ability as a wrestler. I thought the same thing about John fitch about 1.5 years ago. Look at him now. He is still lacking things as a complete fighter but he is and was much further along than Hamill. Not to mention, much more athletic.

·
attention whore
14,445 Posts
He really should be improving elsewhere. He is not ready, and putting him on the "big stage" is just stupid. Hamill really is lucky he got injured during TUF3, because Bisping would've embarrassed him on live television. Total sympathy fighter, who needs a ton of work.

·
Registered
891 Posts
id say his gnp/submission game...getting the basics of boxing is important but hes obviously a fighter who wants to be dominant on the mat and it would take far to much to turn him into a striker...where as his basis in wrestleing (which was in the deaf olypics i believe) gives him a good basis of body positioning/manipulation. I think tito is an excellent guy to have as a coach for this kid. Hes a monster by all means but pinning someone gets you nowhere in this sport.

this is an oddball question but how open are camps (militich.hammerhouse.punishment etc) to having other name fighters come in and train with them. I saw an article on how BJ penn was visiting all sorts of camps to try and improve his strikeing but i dont know that chutebox would want to invite fedor liddel or even a hughes(who isnt someone they have to compete with) into their home. It seems as though both parties would benifit but who would gain the most?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I can only pick one thing, I would say he needs to work on his hands. If he fought an actual good striker, he would be done for in a second because his hands are always down.

But as many have stated, he needs work on pretty much his MMA game. He's a great wrestler but wrestling along isn't going to take you far in MMA.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I dont know about Hammill he doesnt keep his hands up when hes standing up and if they give him a decent striker hes in for a bad fight.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I hope we don't see him for atleast a year. Knockouts are cool when two competitive people go at it but I don't want to see someone get seriously injured coz they are too green. I am sure Matt Hammill was more then happy to fight Seth but there should be a standard skill level to get in the octagon and having your hands up is what you do to help block strikes to the head. If he gets seriously injured because of that in his next fight, people may have explaining to do as to why this guy was aloud to fight again before proving he has fixed this part of his game (This isn't "Go back to the gym and work on submissions" this is "Dude, get your ****ing hands up so you don't die"). And the answer isn't "Coz he won"...it wouldn't be a defense atleast.

Basically I watch Matt Hammill fights like I watch motorcycle videos where the guys stand up on the seat at 100 mph. It sure is cool when they don't crash.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought Hamil fought another boring ass fight, but hes got a lot of wrestling skills, very strong. I thought hes a bit of a dirty fighter. He wasnt so much striking that eye as he pushing his palm into the cut and trying to rip the cut open. Good way to win a fight, but dont tell me its fun to watch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ZZtigerZZ81 said:
You guys are all wrong...he needs the most help leaving the UFC until he is a Mixed martial artist. This is MMA, boy. Other than that probably hearing.
HARSH!

I would say he needs to work on grappling. His wrestling his fantastic but he can't finish. The grappling should come easy for him due to his wrestling abilities. Ordering him to leave the UFC seems a bit much. He is no worse than Koscheck when he came out of the TV show.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts