1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Report: Matt Hughes vs Ricardo Almeida possible for UFC 117

Report: Matt Hughes vs Ricardo Almeida possible for UFC 117

by Jesse Holland on Apr 23, 2010 11:16 AM EDT

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/23/1439122/report-matt-hughes-vs-ricardo

I guess Edward Gibbon was right: Revenge is profitable.

Ricardo Almeida may get the chance to take his frustrations out on Matt Hughes in a possible welterweight showdown at the upcoming UFC 117 event planned for Aug. 7 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., according to a McTweet from ESPN's Franklin McNeil.

"Cachorrão" should be in high spirits considering he's the winner of three straight. The grappling wizard recently made Matt Brown look mortal in their 170-pound clash at UFC 111: "St. Pierre vs. Hardy" last March.

His celebration was short lived however, as his Master and longtime friend Renzo Gracie was stopped by the flinty farmboy at UFC 112: "Invincible" earlier this month.

Almeida has looked good since dropping to 170-pounds, but will be be good enough to overcome the former welterweight champion?

Star-divide

Hughes battered Gracie en route to a third round TKO stoppage in Abu Dhabi. It was his second straight win since dining on Thiago Alves' knee at UFC 85: "Bedlam" in June 2008.

The former champ has been particular about his opponents since entering the twilight of his career, but doesn't seem to mind adding another Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fighter to his combat resume.

UFC 117 may feature the put-up-or-shut-up middleweight title fight between Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva -- though the promotion has yet to release any details about the August 7 card or its participants.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Been a fan of Hughes for a while, but the win against an old Renzo wasn't a huge accomplishment. His chin is questionable and he is susceptible to submissions that Almeida is highly capable of executing. I don't see this going well for the farmboy.

Long live Hughes v. Trigg II!!!

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
I think Almeida will take it this time! I really want to see Almeida vs Maia one of these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts