Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC To Sign Matt Lindland To Fight Anderson Silva?
MMANEWS.COM Bookmark Us Contact Us

Report by:
Matthew Boone

E-mail:
[email protected]

Posted on:
10/19/2006 @ 02:27 PM

Source:mmanews.com

The following is from GracieFighter.com:

UFC looks to Lindland

Inside sources have informed us that the UFC has contacted Matt Lindland to face their new Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva. Lindland's takedown skills and ability to take out top strikers have the UFC intereseted in a matchup between him and the Brazilian standup ace. After defeating Jeremy Horn and noly losing a razor thin decision to Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Matt has become the hot commodity at 185lbs. There are 2 factors impeding the scheduling of this match. Number 1 is that Matt still has a fight left in his WFA contract. The second issue is money. So far the UFC's offers have been considered less than generous compared to what the WFA and IFC have offered him. For Matt to fight in the UFC he will have to completely relinquish fighting in other organizations and he would like to be compensated accordingly.

There will be meetings between Matt and the UFC in the upcoming days to see if these issues can be resolved and if a Anderson Silva vs. Matt Lindland fight can become a reality.

·
Registered
542 Posts
j.farrell said:
UFC To Sign Matt Lindland To Fight Anderson Silva?
MMANEWS.COM Bookmark Us Contact Us

Report by:
Matthew Boone

E-mail:
[email protected]

Posted on:
10/19/2006 @ 02:27 PM

Source:mmanews.com

The following is from GracieFighter.com:

UFC looks to Lindland

Inside sources have informed us that the UFC has contacted Matt Lindland to face their new Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva. Lindland's takedown skills and ability to take out top strikers have the UFC intereseted in a matchup between him and the Brazilian standup ace. After defeating Jeremy Horn and noly losing a razor thin decision to Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Matt has become the hot commodity at 185lbs. There are 2 factors impeding the scheduling of this match. Number 1 is that Matt still has a fight left in his WFA contract. The second issue is money. So far the UFC's offers have been considered less than generous compared to what the WFA and IFC have offered him. For Matt to fight in the UFC he will have to completely relinquish fighting in other organizations and he would like to be compensated accordingly.

There will be meetings between Matt and the UFC in the upcoming days to see if these issues can be resolved and if a Anderson Silva vs. Matt Lindland fight can become a reality.
yeah, this was rumoured right after the Franklin fight ... they want an English speaking champion I guess

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
i just think dana realizes that there isnt a middleweight in the ufc that can beat silva right now, and its gonna take a great grappler to do it, and i think lindland is tailor made to beat a guy like silva

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jdun11 said:
i just think dana realizes that there isnt a middleweight in the ufc that can beat silva right now, and its gonna take a great grappler to do it, and i think lindland is tailor made to beat a guy like silva
aslong as he doesnt catch a flying knee when he shoots in. a la carlos newton

·
Registered
379 Posts
jdun11 said:
I would LOVE to see this fight... I think your right lindland is breed for having a shot to take and either GnP or submit silva. :thumbsup: OR hes gonna get knocked out really fast ! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think this whole thing of trying to recruit an english speaking fighter is another UFC marketing ploy. Anybody who comes in to fight the current champ should have to go up agains current contenders in that weight class or at least give Swick the first shot and then try to get some depth into the class.

Does the UFC really need an english speaking champ that badly? Would you stop watching UFC because the champ doesn't push Xyience and Tap Out gear?

·
Registered
464 Posts
hutchykurt said:
I think this whole thing of trying to recruit an english speaking fighter is another UFC marketing ploy. Anybody who comes in to fight the current champ should have to go up agains current contenders in that weight class or at least give Swick the first shot and then try to get some depth into the class.

Does the UFC really need an english speaking champ that badly? Would you stop watching UFC because the champ doesn't push Xyience and Tap Out gear?

While it can be seen as a sketchy underhanded business method; what Dana is doing is still good for fans. Lindland gets a shot at the title and Silva gets a hard battle that could make him a bigger fan favorite...there's no downside except for other organizations that lose lindland.

My only insight is that Lindland should go with the Tito Ortiz method of negotiating. He should demand a large sum of cash AND a grappling match with Dana White. Dana is just not professional enough in this sport and while I'm sure he does not have ill intentions; he's disrespectful to almost all but the Miltetich champs. I hope Silva and GSP's contracts run out after the next two fights and then they demand decent pay from Dana.

·
Registered
148 Posts
hutchykurt said:

I'd like to see anyone brought in face a guy like Swick or Leben first.

Lindland vs. Swick and the winner gets Silva?

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
BigE said:
I'd like to see anyone brought in face a guy like Swick or Leben first.

Lindland vs. Swick and the winner gets Silva?
Sorry guys,

I'm just not a Lindland fan. I would rather see them bring in a big gun to fight him. I mean that the title has already been pimped out, lets get the heavy hitters in here now.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The Law V Spider would be a great fight. personally i think Danas a serious tight ass with money and wont spend it as required. Either of 2 things here - bring him in to fight Swick and winner gets Silva (problem here is Lindland wont come to fight swick and $ wont be enough), option 2 - offer Lindland what he wants regardless the $ and get him to fight Silva - this will be huge.

Simple.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Great find j.farrell!

Wow, I would be excited if they had this fight. 2 of the top 3 middleweights in the world nowadays IMO. Lindland has improved a lot since his last title shot at UFC 37 and Anderson is the champ in his prime and all. I think Anderson would win. However Lindland can take down opponents and I wouldn't be suprised if he wins via GNP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.