Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
820 Posts
I got him over Kimbo. Using his strengths to his advantage.

Matt by 2nd rd Psych out.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
I like Slice. I know a lot of people like to dog on the guy for being a backyard brawler in a mixed martial artist's world, but as a person, I find the man very difficult to dislike. Very positive attitude. Very humble. Admits to his weaknesses and faults. Wants to learn and better himself. So, really, what is there to hate? Having said all of that... I think Meathead might take this. We know he has power. We know he can definitely eat a punch. I wouldn't at all be shocked to see these two stand and trade, with Kimbo ultimately being the one to falter first. Not that I won't be rooting for Slice.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
HAHA good find! that is his strength. I like meathead. So often these days I watch fights between two guys I hate to see lose. I was hoping kimbo would win and get what ever is left of toney next but, I'll be happy for meathead if he wins.

wouldn't you love to hear Buffer introduce him " And this man is a KINDA CRAZY fighter out of...."

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like Slice. I know a lot of people like to dog on the guy for being a backyard brawler in a mixed martial artist's world, but as a person, I find the man very difficult to dislike. Very positive attitude. Very humble. Admits to his weaknesses and faults. Wants to learn and better himself. So, really, what is there to hate? Having said all of that... I think Meathead might take this. We know he has power. We know he can definitely eat a punch. I wouldn't at all be shocked to see these two stand and trade, with Kimbo ultimately being the one to falter first. Not that I won't be rooting for Slice.
I actually completely agree with this. I think Kimbo is a great guy, and unfortunately for him, the only reason I want to see him fall is because of what his billing does to other, more deserving fighters.

Example. On UFC.com right now they have video shorts that are the countdown for UFC 113. (I don't know if they were on TV or not). There is an approx 15 minute one on Shogun and Lyoto, an approx 10 minute one on Kos and Daley, and an approx 8 minute one on Kimbo and Matt... I would have much rather have seen a little promo/breakdown for Belcher and Cote, which they probably would have gotten if not for Slice being on the card.

I realize at the same time, people will tune into to see Slice, and so get to see what will no doubt (in my mind) be the fight of the night from Cote and Belcher... but it still kind of sucks they don't get that recognition right off the bat.

So again, good guy? Yes. Is it his fault? No. But I still want to see him get dethroaned, so he can continue to fight as the rest of the fighters do... and focus on getting better.

Just my opinion though.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
And I can respect that opinion. I, too, was hoping to see Belcher vs. Cote get a tad more love, in that I believe it's going to be a bloody good fight. Definite FOTN contender, which is saying something, given the names involved in the main event and co-main event. Seemed a bit daft to not even acknowledge these two, so I can appreciate the 'outrage'.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts

:thumbsup: I agree on the ultimate fighter he seemed a top bloke for sure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I dont know how anyone can diss kimbo. So what if he's not well rounded he has got knockout punches which the crowd love. Fat boy Roy Nelson is meant to be a boxer but he would not stand with Kimbo in TUF 10 as he seemed to get rattled when Kimbo caught him with a few. That shows that they give him respect for his heavy punching power.

Anyone else think if BIG BABY had of beat Matt Mitrione that he would have been a hyped up figure in the UFC with his massive frame and look etc. ?

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Totally agree regarding Kimbo. Don't get why people hate on him so much tbh. It's like they're hating on what they perceive Kimbo to be like. He's a humble guy that knows he needs to improve his skills if he's going to make a career for himself, and seemed keen to learn on TUF. I hope he pulls out a win.

As for Meathead. Where does the perception that he's got a great chin come from? Was he involved in a war on the TUF show? I've normally got a decent memory of fights I've seen, but that whole TUF series was very forgettable. The only Mitrione fights I can remember are the one at the TUF finale, and I don't remember Jones landing any notable shots; then I think I recall him fighting Scott Junk in the house, and Junk being pretty beat up after that fight; was Mitrione's chin tested in that fight?

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I'm so sick of talking about this fight between Kimbo Slice and Matt "my head hurts" Mitrione. No one would care about this fight if they weren't on TUF.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I dunno why people think he's not all that well rounded. He wasn't very well rounded last year in the summer when he came into the TUF house, but he's learned a lot since then. It's been nearly a year now, and he's been heavily focusing on his ground game because he realizes people see it as his weak point and will exploit him. He's not an idiot, it's not like you realize his ground game is his weak point and he doesn't...he's been working on it extensively and he's in a great camp too. His ground game will be the equivalent of Damian Maia's stand up game, if Maia can win like that, I don't see why Kimbo can't win his way.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Totally agree regarding Kimbo. Don't get why people hate on him so much tbh. It's like they're hating on what they perceive Kimbo to be like. He's a humble guy that knows he needs to improve his skills if he's going to make a career for himself, and seemed keen to learn on TUF. I hope he pulls out a win.

As for Meathead. Where does the perception that he's got a great chin come from? Was he involved in a war on the TUF show? I've normally got a decent memory of fights I've seen, but that whole TUF series was very forgettable. The only Mitrione fights I can remember are the one at the TUF finale, and I don't remember Jones landing any notable shots; then I think I recall him fighting Scott Junk in the house, and Junk being pretty beat up after that fight; was Mitrione's chin tested in that fight?
Junk hit him with quite a few hard shots, and Matt didn't even stumble. Seeing him push forward with his hands down, take some huge shots flush to the chin, yet continue to push forward with shots of his own is initially what impressed me about him so much. Normally, I'd be all over the guy, calling for proper defence, and for him to raise his hands... but he took those shots like they were a gentle summer breeze, and answered every time. It's not a practice I'd advise he continue, but it definitely showed the man can take a punch. Just one more reason why they call him meathead, I suppose.

His cardio, however, was dreadful, so here's hoping he's been working on that.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
nobody seems to remember he seemed to tap before he was even in trouble vs that amazing grappler James McSweeney??

he also gasses everytime we have seen him fight

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Junk hit him with quite a few hard shots, and Matt didn't even stumble. Seeing him push forward with his hands down, take some huge shots flush to the chin, yet continue to push forward with shots of his own is initially what impressed me about him so much. Normally, I'd be all over the guy, calling for proper defence, and for him to raise his hands... but he took those shots like they were a gentle summer breeze, and answered every time. It's not a practice I'd advise he continue, but it definitely showed the man can take a punch. Just one more reason why they call him meathead, I suppose.
Taking some punches from Junk when they both could barely hold their hands up doesn't qualify you as having a great chin. Those "bombs" that got landed just looked big because they were both gassed after two minutes.

nobody seems to remember he seemed to tap before he was even in trouble vs that amazing grappler James McSweeney??
Hahaha, no kidding, he went down with his hand raised ready to tap, in a choke no less. He didn't even try to fight out of a weak ass guillotine. It's TUF you don't tap to chokes on TUF, you fight until you're out or you're asleep.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
He was eating shots from Junk well before either man gassed. I won't deny that by the time the first round was over, both men were gasping for air... but Matt initially ate some very heavy leather. I'm not saying the man is uber talented. Nothing of the sorts. He does indeed gas. His stance leaves much to be desired. And he's less than a whiz on the ground. But two things I am certain of. He can throw, and he can take.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I think Kimbo's a more evolved Martial Artist than than being limited to standing and banging now though. If it's not working for Kimbo on the feet, he's more than capable of taking it to the ground and submitting Mitrione. If James McSweeney can submit Meathead, then I'm sure Kimbo can. I just don't see Mitrione taking the fight. My opinion may be clouded by the fact I like Kimbo, and don't like Mitrione; but even so, I think Kimbo has more skills than people give him credit for, and those skills will be evolving now that he's at a good camp. I'm looking forward to the fight. It might not be the best Main Card fight you'll see, but Kimbo draws PPV buys, so from a business standpoint it makes sense. I personally think Mitrione is being thrown to Kimbo, so Kimbo can pick up the win, and the UFC can bin Mitrione. Dana certainly didn't approve of Meatheads antics prior to the McSweeney fight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.