Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
i think serra will give matt some problems , but i think this fight will look alot like Hughes Newton II

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? I like Matt Serra but was just kinda just kidding around...wanted to raise the hackles of the Matt Hughes Lovers a little :)

You really think he would have a shot?

·
Tim Sylvia Sucks
965 Posts
serra looks like a good fighter. and he isnt too bad. i dont think he has to worry about a lucky spinning forearm dislocating his jaw again. he's gonna be fighting GSP though

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
I don't know, two ground guys! I think this will look alot like Hughes vs. Verrisamo. Matt Hughes would get the decision of course!

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:
Serra sucks Hughes would decimate him in the first round no doubt about it. It would look exactly like Hughes vs. Gracie.
no way, serra is a great bjj guy and that seems to give Hughes problems, i dont think serra will win but he stands a better chance against Hughes than people think.If Serra was to fight GSP, thats a different story, bad match up for Serra there, i think GSP would give him the treatment similar to what he gave Sherk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Serra is so small and flexible that I wouldn't be surprised if he wiggled into a sub attempt from the bottom, but thats all it would be is an attempt. Hughes/St.Pierre by GNP.

·
Registered
669 Posts
jdun11 said:
no way, serra is a great bjj guy and that seems to give Hughes problems, i dont think serra will win but he stands a better chance against Hughes than people think.If Serra was to fight GSP, thats a different story, bad match up for Serra there, i think GSP would give him the treatment similar to what he gave Sherk
True about GSP, VERY WRONG about Hughes.

you think Hughes has problems against BJJ guys? lol ok ya sure lets see

Royce Gracie- way better at BJJ then Serra, and he got DOMINATED by hughes.

BJ Penn- Was doing pretty good untill he gassed in the 3rd round and "hurt" himself (if he was hurt id think it was because hughes kicked him right in the damn ribs). Bj was going to gas no matter what, thats what BJ does, he has the talent and skills but no cardio what so ever, if you don't believe me watch his fight against GSP.

I'm pretty sure those 2 are better then Matt Serra, and they both just lost to Hughes.

I think if they were to fight Hughes might keep Serra standing up and then if serra shoot hughes might go for a slam.

I mean whats serra going to be able to submit him with? GnP wont work, triangle he'll just get tossed on his head probably, gl with an arm bar or kimura with hughes's strength. His only chance would probably be a heel hook or guilitine.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gracie is like 70 years old and Hughes has been neaten by BJ and had his hands full with him the second time until a freak injury...

If those are the best examples of Hughes' "greatness" that you can come up with you might want to find a new god to worship ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
hughes would smoke him i think. seriously bj penn is better than matt serra and he lost. although he was injured in the second round. otherwise he owuld have raped matt.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
i like both fighters , but in alll seriousness Hughes would crush Serra.... absolutely crush him.

The only fighters who can touch Hughes at 170 are GSP & Karo, and obviously Penn

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Yea you guys are giving Serra way too much credit just for having a likable personality. The fact is the guys not that good. All he can do is 'attempt' submissions. There's no way in hell that Serra would beat Hughes. I guarantee this fight would end in the first round. Serra is like a baby compared to Hughes, he's so small. He doesn't have the strength (or skill) to submit Hughes, you know damn well he can't KO him or TKO him.....Hughes takes him down, work from his guard for a couple minutes, and either submits him or TKO/ref stoppage in the first round. Serra has finished 2 fights in his career (besides Spratt), one guy via triangle who is 4-1, and another guy by armbar who is 0-1 in MMA. Serra sucks just face it all he can do is attempt enough submissions to win a decision. He's not going to decision with Hughes...I would bet my house and car that Hughes beats Serra in the first round.

·
Registered
224 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:
Yea you guys are giving Serra way too much credit just for having a likable personality. The fact is the guys not that good. All he can do is 'attempt' submissions. There's no way in hell that Serra would beat Hughes. I guarantee this fight would end in the first round. Serra is like a baby compared to Hughes, he's so small. He doesn't have the strength (or skill) to submit Hughes, you know damn well he can't KO him or TKO him.....Hughes takes him down, work from his guard for a couple minutes, and either submits him or TKO/ref stoppage in the first round. Serra has finished 2 fights in his career (besides Spratt), one guy via triangle who is 4-1, and another guy by armbar who is 0-1 in MMA. Serra sucks just face it all he can do is attempt enough submissions to win a decision. He's not going to decision with Hughes...I would bet my house and car that Hughes beats Serra in the first round.
Yes, Serra vs Hughes would be a bad luck match for Serra. I think Hughes is going to school him if it comes down to it, I don't see this going past the first round unless theres a fluke.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:

I agree 100%, I like Serra a LOT, hes awesome and I would love to see him in the UFC fighting... But like the other guys on that show he isn't ready for Matt Hughes, not even almost.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I think Serra is an awesome fighter, just not on Hughes' level

1 - 20 of 20 Posts