Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Serra fan this may be somewhat biased, but is he not still possibly a contendor? Coming off his loss to GSP followed by a very close fight with Hughes hes only had one fight , which he dominated against Trigg. He now has lytle, another favourite of mine, who I feel he has all the tools to beat him. If he beats Lytle that puts him back up the top imo.

Who would he face? all the guys at the top are wrestlers and his bjj is quite aggresive so he may give them trouble on the floor. I'm probably being a bit optimistic, or over looking his BJJ, what do you guys think. Possible last run at a title?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I don't think he is a "contender" per se right now. But I do think many people have written him off right now. He has heavy hands, solid TDD and good BJJ. I think he needs one solid win in his next fight and then he can take on a top 5 guy.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I would like to see him fight BJ again at either LW, WW or catchweight.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think he is a "contender" per se right now. But I do think many people have written him off right now. He has heavy hands, solid TDD and good BJJ. I think he needs one solid win in his next fight and then he can take on a top 5 guy.
Yeah thats more what I meant. I believe he has the ability to be a contendor, not that his actual latest results deserve him to be up there. I think he has alot of tools and I love watching him fight.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
anyone in the ufc could be a contender. It all depends on if they keep winning. If Serra goes on a 3 fight win streak you could see him in a #1 contenders fight. He could do it... but you never know.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
I love Matt Serra but I'm not sure about him being a contender any more. I'd love to see him have another run but I can't see it happening.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I scored that fight for Serra. You?

A rematch should happen at lightweight, but Serra doesn't seem to want to cut that much. Too bad, too, because I believe he'd do very well in that division.
Same, thought Serra got robbed, it was close but Serra did slightly better. Serra v Hughes II is the best fight for him IMO. They're both still good, capable of winning against anyone, but getting old.

Serra's never going to get back on top in WW, he's almost a throwback fighter that goes knockouts and submissions instead of winning rounds. Hughes as well. I don't think either has chances of getting a chance for the belt again, barring a last minute replacement type fight.

If he cuts, he isn't going to get BJ right away. LW is crowded already, soon to get more crowded with a TUF winner and Aldo introducing his mountain-moving kicks to the UFC.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Same, thought Serra got robbed, it was close but Serra did slightly better. Serra v Hughes II is the best fight for him IMO. They're both still good, capable of winning against anyone, but getting old.

Serra's never going to get back on top in WW, he's almost a throwback fighter that goes knockouts and submissions instead of winning rounds. Hughes as well. I don't think either has chances of getting a chance for the belt again, barring a last minute replacement type fight.

If he cuts, he isn't going to get BJ right away. LW is crowded already, soon to get more crowded with a TUF winner and Aldo introducing his mountain-moving kicks to the UFC.
Yea, when I watched the fight live I scored it for Serra. Then I re-watched it and scored it for Penn. Then I re-watched it again and scored it for Serra. And the cycle ensues.

I agree that if Serra cut weight he wouldn't get a crack at BJ right away. But if BJ runs through Edgar and then decides to move up to WW. It is possible that the UFC puts Penn vs Serra depending on the outcomes of Serra's upcoming fights. I don't see it being likely, but possible nonetheless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.