1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to vBookie:

Jon Jones Odds: 1/5, 0.20

Matyushenko Odds: 423/100, 4.23

I'm a Jones fan and i still expect him to win this fight, but these odds seem harsh against someone with a 24-4 record with some decent names under his belt.

Possible upset?

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
The Janitor is a truly seasoned MMA vet maybe has a trick up his sleeve. I don't see it though. A lot of people consider Bones to be wild with his striking, I don't. He lands them, and doesn't get hit.

From the one interview I saw, Janitor didn't look particularly confident though. He just said 'anyone can lose' in this sport type of thing.

It's a sideways fight in the level of competition, I seriously doubt he has anything that Bones won't be able to handle. Hope Bones doesn't do any DQ moves for a loss.

I have no doubt he's going to win, my whole VBookie is on that match... on a side note - vets like Matyushenko are the type of guys that should be coaching TUF.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
The Janitor is a truly seasoned MMA vet maybe has a trick up his sleeve. I don't see it though. A lot of people consider Bones to be wild with his striking, I don't. He lands them, and doesn't get hit.

From the one interview I saw, Janitor didn't look particularly confident though. He just said 'anyone can lose' in this sport type of thing.

It's a sideways fight in the level of competition, I seriously doubt he has anything that Bones won't be able to handle. Hope Bones doesn't do any DQ moves for a loss.

I have no doubt he's going to win, my whole VBookie is on that match... on a side note - vets like Matyushenko are the type of guys that should be coaching TUF.
Well.... Matyushenko has lost once since Sep 2003. His only loss since then was was to Minaturo, and that's no black mark IMO.

I have only seen 1 of his fights because the UFC always puts him on un-shown prelims. He comes from wrestling so he may neutralize Jones wrestling.

At one will get you five, I would put a few shekels on Vladimir without hesitation.

Jones is good, but much of his support comes from wishing he will be as good as many think he can be. Matyushenko will be a good test for Jones, and Jones in no way should be considered a 5 to 1 favorite.

You heard it here first! :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Jon Jones is riding on a big hypetrain. He looks awesome but Vlad is very good veteran.

If Vlad take Bones down he could win this.

I wouldnt be suprised if Vlad will pull this one.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
Bones will win this fight and he will make it look easy. Probably within the 1st half of the 1st round. Bones is just so disgusting but some people won't accept it till he beats a few big names. He doesn't have to do that for me. I can see clearly he is at least the 3rd best behind Shogun and Machida, but he may even be better than them too.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Honestly, he has a fair chance at pulling it off. He's a seasoned vet with a lot of experience in both wrestling and MMA and Jones is still only 22.

The interesting thing about Vladamir is that he got the name "The Janitor" from wrestling legend Dave Schultz. He gave him the name after witnessing Vladamir outwrestling several US wrestlers including an Olympian. There's no doubt in my mind that Matyushenko is among the best in MMA at 205 when it comes to wrestling.

The interesting points of contention in this fight will be the striking and who scores takedowns. Matyushenko is a powerful striker, but as you can see from his hightlights, he has pretty poor technique and is fairly wild. Jones on the other hand, is labeled as wild while he really should be deemed unorthodox. All of his strikes are thrown with fair to good technique and he uses his height and reach wisely to strike and avoid being struck. Jones also has the strength of mixing up strikes with faints and fainted takedowns to give the opponent something to think about. However, Jones' chin still hasn't been tested, so you never know how he'll react if he gets tagged by The Janitor. Still, all things considered Matyushenko isn't in a good situation on the feet and needs to take Jones down.

Jones's takedowns and throws have been absolutely brilliant thus far in his career, easily taking down accomplished wrestler such as Hamill and Vera with a series of freakishly powerful throws or more passive trips. I expect Matyushenko to fair no different, and if Jones does get him down, Matyushenko is in a bad way. However, this is depenedent on who gets the takedown first. I am not expecting to see Jones stuff Matyushenko's patented takedowns, however I am extremely interested in seeing what skills he has on his back, which is completely unknown at this point. Another interesting point would be if Jones could stop he Janitor's takedowns alltogether, which while I doubt, it certainly isn't out of the question.

All things considered, Matyushenko can win this fight by exploiting the
three biggest questionmarks in Jones' game. His chin, his ground game from his back and of course his cardio. Should be a good fight, and I'm waiting anxiously for the 1st..

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Jones will be spanking the janitor all across the cage. Vlad has the opportunity for an upset just like anyone else but I highly doubt it. Matyushenko has never really impressed me and I do not think he will on fight night. Still can not waith for Jones to start facing top competition like they are giving Bader.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bones is just so disgusting but some people won't accept it till he beats a few big names. He doesn't have to do that for me.
I am all over the Jon Jones bandwagon but I don't have a problem watching him work his way up the food chain even if he is ready to take on the big names of the UFCs LHW division.

So let's all wait and see who shows up for this fight. If they both come in primed and ready we should have an outstanding bout for our viewing pleasure.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
The more I think about how these guys matchup the more I am favoring Vlad. As far as striking and grappling go Vlad is just better than Bones. Bones has a big advantage as far as athleticism and dynamic attacks. I think what it really comes down to is how much has Bones improved his standup because he isn't ragdolling Vlad he is going to have to fight for the takedown.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
Jones's athleticism is going to be a factor in this fight. Future's looking bright when so young athletic guys are coming to this sport. Imagine the fighters we are going to see in 10 years.

·
FITPLUS Muay Thai
1,045 Posts
Bones will win this fight and he will make it look easy. Probably within the 1st half of the 1st round. Bones is just so disgusting but some people won't accept it till he beats a few big names. He doesn't have to do that for me. I can see clearly he is at least the 3rd best behind Shogun and Machida, but he may even be better than them too.
I'm gonna have to agree with this guy. Matyushenko is good, but this is going to look a lot like the Vera and Hamill fight.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Honestly, he has a fair chance at pulling it off. He's a seasoned vet with a lot of experience in both wrestling and MMA and Jones is still only 22.

The interesting thing about Vladamir is that he got the name "The Janitor" from wrestling legend Dave Schultz. He gave him the name after witnessing Vladamir outwrestling several US wrestlers including an Olympian. There's no doubt in my mind that Matyushenko is among the best in MMA at 205 when it comes to wrestling.

The interesting points of contention in this fight will be the striking and who scores takedowns. Matyushenko is a powerful striker, but as you can see from his hightlights, he has pretty poor technique and is fairly wild. Jones on the other hand, is labeled as wild while he really should be deemed unorthodox. All of his strikes are thrown with fair to good technique and he uses his height and reach wisely to strike and avoid being struck. Jones also has the strength of mixing up strikes with faints and fainted takedowns to give the opponent something to think about. However, Jones' chin still hasn't been tested, so you never know how he'll react if he gets tagged by The Janitor. Still, all things considered Matyushenko isn't in a good situation on the feet and needs to take Jones down.

Jones's takedowns and throws have been absolutely brilliant thus far in his career, easily taking down accomplished wrestler such as Hamill and Vera with a series of freakishly powerful throws or more passive trips. I expect Matyushenko to fair no different, and if Jones does get him down, Matyushenko is in a bad way. However, this is depenedent on who gets the takedown first. I am not expecting to see Jones stuff Matyushenko's patented takedowns, however I am extremely interested in seeing what skills he has on his back, which is completely unknown at this point. Another interesting point would be if Jones could stop he Janitor's takedowns alltogether, which while I doubt, it certainly isn't out of the question.

All things considered, Matyushenko can win this fight by exploiting the
three biggest questionmarks in Jones' game. His chin, his ground game from his back and of course his cardio. Should be a good fight, and I'm waiting anxiously for the 1st..
Great post but i believe Jones chin was tested and passed with flying colours in the vera fight. What the devil am i talking about you're wondering.

The two illegal kicks vera hit jones with from the bottom. Those kicks were nasty and hard and hit jones right on the jaw, he didnt seem at all phased.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
I am all over the Jon Jones bandwagon but I don't have a problem watching him work his way up the food chain even if he is ready to take on the big names of the UFCs LHW division.

So let's all wait and see who shows up for this fight. If they both come in primed and ready we should have an outstanding bout for our viewing pleasure.
I don't mind seeing him work up there either, but the thing is that I think he should already be ranked far about the competition he's facing now...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts