Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC light heavyweight champion, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has admitted he has no preference over who he faces in his first title defence, saying it will be a “great fight” against either Quinton “Rampage” Jackson” or Rashad Evans.

Speaking via GracieMag.com, Rua said:

“Dana White already said it would be between those two. It’ll be a tough fight against either of them, that’s for sure. Both are top-tier fighters, and it’ll be a great fight against either of them.”

“Truth is, I have no preference. I can’t think about opponents I want to fight. Whoever it may be, I’ll be happy. I just can’t be left without an opponent! I’ll be stoked to fight either of the two; they’re great fighters and it will be a good fight.”

“Shogun” captured the belt this past Saturday night when he knocked out previously undefeated, Lyoto Machida in the very first round. With UFC 114: Jackson vs. Evans just around the corner, it seems we won’t have long to wait until we crown a new number one contender in the division as well.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Shogun's a really humble guy, all I can say. I'm not particularly happy about Lyoto losing, but he lost it to the right guy; Shogun is pure class and behaves like a disciplined martial artist.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I wanna see Shogun vs. Rashad more than Shogun vs. Rampage. Both fights would be awesome, but I think Rampage is just too slow for Shogun and will get his legs chopped off even worse than he did vs. Forrest. Plus we already saw what happens when Shogun locks up that thai clinch and begins throwing those knees at 'Page. :)

Not saying Rashad will do much better, but atleast he is faster than Rampage. Then again (and I hate using mma math) Rashad failed to even touch Machida in their fight...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...Shogun's Muay Thai skills have become off the charts. He has peaked. We all remember the 1st rd. destruction Shogun put on Rampage in Pride. I think QJ would take another serious beatdown. If Griffin's legkicks smoked Page's knee, imagine what Shogun's would do. I don't think Rashad would wants a piece of Shogun either. I think most of us really want to see the ultimate showdown between Anderson Silva & Shogun. I can't even begin to explain how incredible that fight would be. The Silva/Shogun buzz is already out there. Let's see if Anderson steps up to the plate and takes on the biggest challenge of his career by far...

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Both, Rampage and Evans would make up for a good fight against Shogun.
With Rampage you now you would have a stand-up battle, not many takedown attempts and i can see Shogun chopping Rampage's legs slowly, right from the beggining. Shogun by decision.
Wit Rashad it's more of a mistery. He is faster than Rampage, not as strong imo, but more elusive, he doesn't like to rush into a stand-up war. Plus there is his wrestling, wich could cause some kind of trouble to Shogun. But i also don't think Rashad coould take Shogun down and pound him or submit him and he can't take him down for 5 rounds. His cardio doesn't last that long. I could see this one going to a decision also or a TKO from Shogun in the 3rd or fourth.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Shogun's a really humble guy, all I can say. I'm not particularly happy about Lyoto losing, but he lost it to the right guy; Shogun is pure class and behaves like a disciplined martial artist.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Personally, I hope Rashad gets the fight with Shogun. Rampage is an ass, and doesn't deserve it at all. I really hope he loses three straight fights so we can be done with him.

I also think Rashad will be a better match for Shogun. More than likely Shogun wins either fight, but I could see Rashad getting some rounds with his wrestling... while Rampage would just continuously try to hit that homerun shot while getting picked apart the entire time, most likely leading to a 50-45 UD.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
...Shogun's Muay Thai skills have become off the charts. He has peaked. We all remember the 1st rd. destruction Shogun put on Rampage in Pride. I think QJ would take another serious beatdown. If Griffin's legkicks smoked Page's knee, imagine what Shogun's would do. I don't think Rashad would wants a piece of Shogun either. I think most of us really want to see the ultimate showdown between Anderson Silva & Shogun. I can't even begin to explain how incredible that fight would be. The Silva/Shogun buzz is already out there. Let's see if Anderson steps up to the plate and takes on the biggest challenge of his career by far...
I would really like to see Anderson vs. Shogun. Silva is only going to put on a strong performance against a "worthy opponent"... and Shogun definitely fits that criteria. I have a feeling Anderson would win... but the fight would be EPIC!

In regards to Rashad or Rampage... I'd like to see Shogun face Rampage. But still I think Shogun would make quick work of Rampage. Plus Rampage wants another shot at Shogun.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I would really like to see Anderson vs. Shogun. Silva is only going to put on a strong performance against a "worthy opponent"... and Shogun definitely fits that criteria. I have a feeling Anderson would win... but the fight would be EPIC!
The fight would be good but I do not want to see it unless one of them loses the belt. Like someone else said if Anderson wins I do not want to have title fights held up for that long while Silva changes his weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.