Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC light heavyweight champion, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has given his assessment on top rated up-and-comer, Jon “Bones” Jones, describing the Greg Jackson trained fighter as “too damn good”.

Speaking via Sherdog.com, Rua said:

“He is a great young fighter, too damn good, and he’s coming with everything in our division. He is very good in wrestling. I think he and Cain Velasquez are the two guys with the best wrestling in MMA today, together with Georges St. Pierre. He’s a very good wrestler, very dangerous. He’s a guy who will give a lot of people trouble.”

The pair could be on a collision course over the next few years if Jones continues to progress at the break neck speed he’s shown over the past two years. He’s next due to step back into the octagon on August 1st on the UFC on Versus 2 card against Vladimir Matyushenko.

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
I think Bones is talented enough to compete with the best in the division right now. I can understand the UFC wanting to hype him more before a big fight but don't think there is a 205er he couldn't beat. Fun guy to watch too, not your run of the mill wrestler type. Looking forward to bigger tests for him in the near future:thumb02:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I love how he's described as "top rated" and says he's progressing at a "break neck speed", then they go on to say he's fighting Vladimir Matyushenko. Doesn't a top rated fighter moving at a break neck pace deserve someone better than that?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think Rua is being humble by describing Jones like that, because Jones has yet to prove his worth as a top lhw.

Reactions: Intermission

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Jones will be in title contention by mid/late 2011 depending on how many times he fights. I say 2 more fights before he gets a top 5 fighter.

I am a big fan of Bones Jones...It will be really hard to pick who I want to win in a matchup. I really like Rampage/Jones and now I like Rua even more after the respect he was shown on saturday.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Don't think it will be that easy against someone who has 84.5
reach Lesnar has 81 while Shogun has 76.0.
Shogun is probably the fastest LHW in the world (either him Or Machida) the reach will come into play but I dont think it's gonna prevent Rua from messing up Jones legs.

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
Jones is a serious threat to the title. The only loss he has is from the Matt fight, and let's be serious, he won that fight, dominated it, in fact.

His last fight against Vera was VERY impressive. Vera is a good fighter, he's pretty solid. Not amazing, but good, and Jones destroyed him in the first round.

Give him 3 more fights (since his next fight is a joke), and have his remaining 2 fights be against "top" ranked guys, like say Tito (not top, but good for your resume) and Forrest, or Thiago, Rashad/Rampage, etc, and then give this guy his title shot.

I haven't seen anyone be so impressive in his early UFC career since Machida, in fact, I think he's more impressive than Machida was when he got to the UFC, cause this guy is finishing people like Vera in the first round, easily.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Shogun is probably the fastest LHW in the world (either him Or Machida) the reach will come into play but I dont think it's gonna prevent Rua from messing up Jones legs.
Comparing speed to jones with Shogun/Machida...umm, have you watched Jones fight? He is just as fast as those two or even slightly faster. He will have no problem avoiding kicks he sees or looping punches.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The reach Jon Jones has is unreal for a LHW, it's the first thing I noticed when I first saw him fight and noticed the tale of the tape. Very freak athlete but he's still young and his striking is very raw and you have to utilize a reach advantage which alot of fighters dont fully do (not saying Jon Jones doesnt or cant). Sky's the limit for Jones, right now he needs time to refine his skills and more fights until he is just a complete monster.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
Jon Jones doesn't deserve a title shot what so ever and is far too inexperienced too. The guy beat Brandon Vera fine but thats all who he's beaten.
you sound like a hater

Who said he deserves a title shot? Definitely not yet, but I think with another 5 or so more fights and he'll be there.
5 more fights!? He could easily get it with 2 or 3 more depending on who he beats after his next fight. 5 or more is just crazy.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I love how he's described as "top rated" and says he's progressing at a "break neck speed", then they go on to say he's fighting Vladimir Matyushenko. Doesn't a top rated fighter moving at a break neck pace deserve someone better than that?
I know that Jones should have won the fight against Hammil, but from a technical stand point, Vladdy is on a longer win streak then Jones. This fight makes sense from a records stand point.

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
you sound like a hater

5 more fights!? He could easily get it with 2 or 3 more depending on who he beats after his next fight. 5 or more is just crazy.
Exactly.

His next fight is kind of a joke in the ranking system right now, but after he wins that, give him Thiago, or Tito, or Forrest, or the loser of Rashad/Rampage, and he'll work his way to a title fight in 3 fights from now.

I could see him beating Thiago, Rashad, hell, I can see him beating Shogun, as much of a great fight that would be, after he gets a few more fights under his belt against the top guys, which will be happening hopefully right after he wins this next fight.

He's a serious threat, no joke whatsoever. He's as much of a threat to the title right now as Machida was after he beat Tito. He just needs another few fights for experience and to get up in the rankings, then give the man his title shot.

·
Registered
750 Posts
One way or another I can see him getting a title shot, but he wont win it, Shogun was 21 when he became the Pride champion in 2005, Jon Jones is 22 right now and theirs years of difference in the level of striking Shogun portrayed and Jones has yet to prove he's even a top 5 in the division, Jon Jones is good but lets not get carried away with the hype please Shogun will f*** his sh$$ up. (sorry for my language, no other words will describe it)

Reactions: swpthleg
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.