Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly crowned UFC light heavyweight champion, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has been addressing a number of topics since his win this past weekend at UFC 113 over Lyoto Machida, explaining how his preparations were affected by surgery to remove his appendix and how a fight with “Rampage” Jackson would be good.

Speaking via Riddum.com, Rua first spoke about his recent win over Lyoto Machida for the 205 pound crown just seven weeks after surgery.

“It changed the set up to some extent but I was looking forward to the fight, I was training for it and had my appendix taken out 7 weeks before the fight. But the strategy and everything else was working already. I just kept training and that’s it.”

“I wasn’t more aggressive because of [the surgery]. The people that know me know that I’m always aggressive and always looking for the KO, that’s the nature of my fights, and in that fight I just did the same thing. I also feel that in the first fight, I held myself too much and this time I just wanted to let it go.”

On his predictions for the UFC 114 clash between “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans, “Shogun” said:

“I think Rampage [will win], but it’s close to 50/50 to me. I’d say 55% for Rampage, 45% Rashad.”

“To me Rampage or Rashad, it doesn’t make a difference, they are both top fighters. But a fight against Rampage would be good… for the pay-per-view [laughs].”

When asked whether he’d fight Anderson Silva, Rua explained:

“I’m a professional fighter, I never pick my opponents, I’d fight anyone. Anderson can be a big challenge to my career, but I’m used to them.”

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
“Anderson and Lyoto kind of have the same style, but they are still different. Right now, I don’t think about Anderson, it’s not my next fight, I’m focused on celebrating my victory and on [the winner of Rampage vs. Rashad Evans].”

Finally, Rua was asked whether we’d ever see his brother, “Ninja”, step foot inside the octagon, replaying:

“To tell you the truth, we already talked with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva. But now he’s under a contract with Shine Fight Promotions, but we’re waiting for a couple more victories and we’ll probably see him in the UFC soon.”

The world will now wait with baited breath to see who will be the first man to challenge “Shogun” for the light heavyweight crown. Will “Rampage” Jackson get a chance to reclaim “his” title and with it a measure of revenge against the Brazilian, or will Evans pull off another upset on route to another shot at the title?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I had no idea Shogun had surgery 7 weeks prior to the fight. On some level that would have to effect your strategy going into the fight. Interesting he wants to fight Rampage next.

·
Banned
439 Posts
I had no idea Shogun had surgery 7 weeks prior to the fight. On some level that would have to effect your strategy going into the fight. Interesting he wants to fight Rampage next.
maybe he knows that he's going to knock him the feck out again. Like he said, it would be a better ppv to hype a rampage revenge...and maybe he wants to avenge Wanderlei's ko loss to him?

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
Where are these quotes from? You don't psot a source, and some of the stuff isn't true. It was confirmed on video that Shogun did NOT have surgery 7 weeks before the fight, which makes me question whether any of these quotes are legit.

Hell you don't even need any proof other than the photos. Go look at pictures of Rua, there are no scars anywhere on his stomach. I had my appendix out in January, trust me, there would be scars still even if it was stereoscopic.

edit: hmmm i could be wrong

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/5/9/1464296/mauricio-shogun-rua-underwent

According to this he did have surgery. Weird that you can't see any scars, though. And I could have asworn I read alsewhere that it wasn't true. Oh well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts