Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua's first UFC title defense likely delayed by knee surgery

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Newly minted UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua's first title defense likely will be delayed due to a recent knee surgery.

Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC), who knocked out Lyoto Machida at UFC 113 to earn the 205-pound title, was expected to meet Rashad Evans later this year.

With Rua's window of recovery, UFC president Dana White is unsure when the Brazilian champ will fight again.

"He just got out of the hospital; it was a successful surgery," White said. "He had the surgery in [Los Angeles], and he's going to be doing all his therapy in (Las) Vegas.

"So he'll be in Vegas for the next five weeks."

White said Rua's injury occurred during the fight with Machida, though a report from ESPN's "MMA Live" the night of the May 8 event stated Rua's knee was already injured.

"He got hurt in the fight," White asserted.

The UFC president does not know which knee Rua injured.

The Brazilian superstar previously has struggled with knee injuries. He faced Forrest Griffin with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his octagon debut at UFC 76 and afterward underwent surgery to repair the damage. Less than six months later, he withdrew from a scheduled fight with Chuck Liddell at UFC 85 with the same injury and underwent another surgery.
Link = ?

Well becasue of this i hope UFC 119 main event will be Rampage vs Machida!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Geez, this guy is becoming injury prone. How many kicks did he throw in that fight? Like 2? He might not be able to fight that many more years if he keeps blowing out his knee because he won't have any cartilage left...

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
Wow, this sucks. For every surgery, you have to go through the basic therapy to get your knee going again, and thats precious time he could have spent training. It would be really bad if Shogun missed out on his prime because of all these injuries. Knees are a bitch and you can only do surgery so many times. Oh well. Get well Shogun.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Sucks... I was looking forward to see him fight someone who focuses more on ground game than Machida for a change. Good his surgery went well though.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
This is gonna really suck cuz he's gonna need his legs with the way Rashad fights. You know Rashad is gonna grind out the win in the most boring of fashion. I don't even know what you call his style of fighting.

As long as Machida or Shogun holds the title I'm koo with it...OR "The Spider."

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Now it's all over again. He will have to work on everything from the beginning especially the cardio - nobody wants to see Rua in the shape he was on UFC 93.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Damn, this sucks for Shogun :(

It's amazing how he was the top LHW in Pride and now in the world, despite having multiple knee injuries and surgeries. Such a bad joint to have problems with, I really hope his game doesn't suffer from this like it has in the past.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
WOW! So much for being a multiple title defender, He is injury prone and who knows how long till he has ANOTHER knee surgery. I hope the best for him and really thought he was back to old pride form recently.

only time will tell.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Shogun could easily be Anderson Silva level if didnt keep getting injured, Knee injurys can take up to 6 months+ to fully recover from and you dont ever fully recover from them and this is shoguns 3rd one in as many years. Plus his broken arm against Coleman, he is missing some valuable training time and is still top 10 p4p.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It sucks if it's an ACL tear and if it's an ACL tear on the same knee that was injured prior to the Forrest fight but they don't actually say what the injury is or to what knee, they just state that he has had knee injuries in the past. If he tore the same ACL then that is very bad news, I really would like them to release more information about his injury.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It sucks if it's an ACL tear and if it's an ACL tear on the same knee that was injured prior to the Forrest fight but they don't actually say what the injury is or to what knee, they just state that he has had knee injuries in the past. If he tore the same ACL then that is very bad news, I really would like them to release more information about his injury.
I'm guessing it's his left knee, there was picture which I can't find at the moment of Shogun with a huge bag of ice over his knee a few days after UFC 113. According to the article which went along with the picture, it wasn't anything serious but it's hard to say what's really going on. Could be a minor procedure to clean things out a bit, could be a major reconstruction, we'll just have to wait and find out.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm guessing it's his left knee, there was picture which I can't find at the moment of Shogun with a huge bag of ice over his knee a few days after UFC 113. According to the article which went along with the picture, it wasn't anything serious but it's hard to say what's really going on. Could be a minor procedure to clean things out a bit, could be a major reconstruction, we'll just have to wait and find out.
That's what I'm saying there are so many things and procedures for knee's, I mean I dont wanna assume he tore his ACL again, for all I know they could be draining fluid which is a very minor procedure.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Geez, this guy is becoming injury prone. How many kicks did he throw in that fight? Like 2? He might not be able to fight that many more years if he keeps blowing out his knee because he won't have any cartilage left...
if you dislocate it once you are more than likely to keep on dislocating it, he needs to get it perminatly fixed and that surgury could keep him out for close t oa year.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
He hurt it when he tried to hip toss Machida, I seen it happen and then he looked awkward running around after he won. Unreal, well maybe Rashad has got a shot after all. At least this time Shogun won't have to rush back because he needs money.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.