Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think about it, the last two people he lost to are about to compete for the LHW title. Rashad Evans and Shogun. I don't think it's fair to say he's on the decline just yet. He's looking really good right now, and I think we'll see the Chuck of old at UFC 115.

Here's hoping, WAR CHUCK!!!

Reactions: Darkwraith

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Good point, he did lose to two top fighters. The LHW division is just too tough to be consistantly winning all the time. But I do think it's fair to say that Liddell is no longer at his athletic peak although he does look to be in great shape. I do hope The Iceman is back and that he puts a clinic on Rich Franklin in a few weeks. His punching power should still be there although his chin isn't what it used to be. I would have felt more comfortable if he had taken on Tito instead of Franklin, but i'm still sure that Liddell, assuming he has worked on his defense, can land that big overhand right. War Iceman.

·
Registered
769 Posts
That's the thing, Liddell isn't necessarily out of the game, but he is definitely a fighter that I don't think has the capability of breaking through the top 5 of the UFC LHW division. Obviously he has KO power, but the UFC purposely put him in front of the most devastating fighters in LHW division, and we've seen the results: KO/TKO at the hands of Rashad/Rampage/Shogun (todays top 5 of the division, and we can't forget Jardine's decision too). I have nothing against Chuck, but I don't think after so many fighters have proven that he's really, really vulnerable to a KO/TKO, that he's anything at all more than a gatekeeper in the strongest weight division in the world. If he fought in a different division, than my answer would be different, but I think he would currently lose to Lyoto, Rua (done), Jackson (done), Evans (done), and Lil Nog, at absolute minimum.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Chuck is the Man, i have faith he will win this fight, and have a small attempt at the belt... It all matters on who UFC gives him next.... I hope its a Jardine Rematch.... Because i can see Chuck easily winning that fight....

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
Chuck Liddell will hold the belt once again. Hey it could happen. If he beats Franklin, then he beats one more top guy, lets say lil Nog, (who I think Chuck would beat) then he may be gifted a title shot depending on who else is a contender at the time. If not, then he would only need one more win for a title shot. However, as big of a Chuck fan as I am, I don't see him beating Machida, Shogun, or Jon Jones.

·
Clowns will eat me
3,958 Posts
I don't think he is washed up at all...I think like the OP said he just has fought some really tough opponents who DID show weaknesses in his game. I hope he will FINALLY do something to remedy this, maybe throw a few kicks. I just wish he wasn't going to fight Franklin. I don't want either to lose. I do think that Chuck needs the win more than Franklin though...

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
And even against Rashad he looked pretty good until the biggest right ever thrown connected. If he can keep his hands in place, utilize his kicks and wrestling all together he can still compete with the best of them. He may never wear the belt again but he'll give a good showing every time he fights.

His loss to Shogun isn't as daunting as it seemed at the time, even though he did look alot slower and the shot that dropped him, even he said himself that wouldn't of normally hurt him. Hopefully there year off from getting punched has helped.

I also expect his ground game to be vastly improved as he was training Jui Jitsu for that full year because he enjoys it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's the thing, Liddell isn't necessarily out of the game, but he is definitely a fighter that I don't think has the capability of breaking through the top 5 of the UFC LHW division. Obviously he has KO power, but the UFC purposely put him in front of the most devastating fighters in LHW division, and we've seen the results: KO/TKO at the hands of Rashad/Rampage/Shogun (todays top 5 of the division, and we can't forget Jardine's decision too). I have nothing against Chuck, but I don't think after so many fighters have proven that he's really, really vulnerable to a KO/TKO, that he's anything at all more than a gatekeeper in the strongest weight division in the world. If he fought in a different division, than my answer would be different, but I think he would currently lose to Lyoto, Rua (done), Jackson (done), Evans (done), and Lil Nog, at absolute minimum.

i wonder if lil Nog can take and keep chuck down and submit him.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Chuck is 40 and relied a lot on his gunslinging ability. Once those reflexes start to go they don't come back (just watch any of Roy Jones Jr's recent fights). Sad as it is and as great as Chuck was, he is done as a top contender. He has been hit and dropped far too often of late. His best hope would be to return to his wrestling roots, but we all know how boring and unpleasant it would be to see Chuck trying to stall his way to victory. I really expect Franklin to take this fight. He has more tools and has always lived a clean life and stays in shape. Chuck seems to have struggled outside the ring with his personal life and not staying in shape. Sure, he looks ripped now, but it is whats underneath that veneer that counts. If he is KO'd again I hope he hangs em up.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Chuck still is game, and dangerous. I also believe that he isn't washed up, and think he's going to beat Franklin. I also think he has as good of a chance as any of beating almost any top 10er. I'm a Franklin and Chuck Fan, so I'll stay neutral as to who I'm cheering for, but I believe Chuck's going to take this.

·
Banned
0 Posts
He needs to adapt to from dropping his hands and working on blocking strikes to maintain his control in the fight. I think he can beat Franklin, but after that I would like to see him smash Ti-o and I think Dana stated (there is a link on the new post page) he wouldnt rule them out fighting in the future.....:thumbsup:

·
Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,060 Posts
For me it's never been a question of if Chuck was washed up or not. I'll allways back the dude and he has amazing skills. The only issue I have is that his Chin just seems to be gone lately. Chuck is still a great fighter and has looked good in every fight (bar the Jardine incident) right up until he get's tagged.

Poor Chuck just can't take the punishment he used to. Unfortunately in this game your gonna get hit. Your gonna get hit alot. Hell even Anderson get's hit once in awhile. We'll see how the time off has helped him in this fight for sure though.

Like I have said before though I think Chuck beat Franklin simply because it's been a long time since Rich has shown any kind of devastating strikes. Rich seems to pitter pat in a similar way to Bisping these days. Power is the last thing to leave a fighter and Rich allways finds a way to atleast wander towards queer street in almost every fight.

I think Rich comes in fairly aggressive at some point get's caught with an angled shot put's on his "Where am I Face" that he likes so much and Chuck smells th blood and get's the TKO with some follow up strikes.

People forget how good Chuck is at swarming a dude when he's hurt and Rich almost ALLWAYS walks into atleast 1 decent punch.

That's my perfect scenario anyways obviously this fight can go eitherway as both guys are extremely talented. But as I said im pulling for my boy Chuck.

·
Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,060 Posts
If chuck went to LHW I could see him KO'ing Big Nog for sure but Lil'Nog does have decent hands and if Chuck's chin truly is gone (we'll find out soon) then it could be a bad fight for Chuck. But he would definitly have more than a chance at taking him out cause Lil'nog didnt like getting hit by Brilz at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No its not sarcasm. I dont think lil Nog stands a chance against Chuck. In fact ill bet anything that Chuck KO's them both pretty quickly.
really? I'm suprised that you think that about Big Nog. I agree about Lil Nog that Chuck will ko him , but i don't know about the big bro. I'm more interested if one of them could actually beat him with ground game.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.