Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC lightweight contender Gray Maynard would love to get a title shot against Frankie Edgar. He holds a win over the current champion, but would settle for a bout with fellow contender Kenny Florian if B.J. Penn gets an immediate rematch with Edgar as expected.

“If Penn is going up against Edgar, if that happens, the only one that I would want to go up against is Florian,” Maynard told MMAWeekly.com. “I think that would be a great scrap, and that would be cool with me. Boston here I come. Let’s do it.”

Maynard doesn’t feel the door is closed on a title shot with Edgar, but understands if Penn is granted the rematch.

“I told them I’d love that fight. Of course anytime it’s a chance to go for the belt, you have to jump on it,” said Maynard. “The next best would be Florian. That would be a great fight.”

But he understands with the way the Edgar and Penn fight went down why UFC brass might go for the immediate rematch.

“Obviously it was close. It was real close. It could have gone either way, and Penn is a big draw, so from a business standpoint I can tell why. If it were anyone else I’d be pretty hurt of course, but that’s just kind of how it goes,” said the 30-year old athlete.

“It was a close fight and he’s a big draw. It’s smart I guess, but if it were whoever else I would probably cry like a little baby.”

Maynard’s had his eye on Florian for some time, knowing the two would eventually have to fight. He’s been thinking about the match-up and breaking down tape on the Bostonian for months.

“I’ve been doing that for a couple of months now. If it is in August, and I do go up against Florian then I’ll still have some time before the camp starts, but that’s been on my mind since at least around February,” said the Xtreme Couture trained fighter. “It’s a good fight.”

Maynard sees a bout with Florian as an opportunity to prove he’s the top UFC lightweight contender and deserves a title shot.

“It’s all proof. It’s all proof, and I’ll prove it.”
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11296&zoneid=13

I see Kenny dominating on the feet and finishing with rear naked choke. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yeah Kenny will definitely win this one IMO, he has just been on a tear lately and i dont think any LW can beat him besides BJ Penn.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Kenny being dry humped and trying to win by cut stoppage.
I honestly think that's a spot on description of the match. Maynard isn't dumb enough to stand with him and Sherk showed us how vulnerable Florian is to a wrestler. I want Florian to win as much as the next guy but if Maynard plays it smart and just uses his wrestling, he has this easy.

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Maynard providing a nice warm blanket is a foreseeable outcome for me.

(Maynard laying all day)

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
Maynard would probably not have a big issue getting Kenny down, but I would question if he can work enough to keep him down. Kenny is a smart guy and I believe he has grown a lot as a fighter since the Sherk fight.

I don't think that means he will be able to stop Maynard, but I have a feeling that Kenny will be able to get back up sometimes, and nullify and force the stand up other times.

Standing up I see Kenny peppering him all day. Kenny by UD, but harder fought than expected.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Why does everyone underrate Maynard. He shot once in the last 2 years and for some reason is called a LnP fighter, it doesn`t make sense.

·
Registered
262 Posts
He is obviously not going to fight Edgar first so his only other choice is Florian.

This is actually a tough call. It's very obvious what they both want to do. Maynard will shoot and GnP. Florian will try to keep it standing and pick him apart. On the feet, Kenny will own Maynard. But, Maynard WILL get it to the ground. So the real questions are:

1) Can Florian keep Maynard from taking him down?
2) Can Maynard keep Florian down?
3) Can Kenny submit Maynard?

Number 1) No, Maynard will take Kenny down. If nothing else, he will just muscle him down.

Number 2) Maynard will keep him down briefly, but Kenny will either work to the cage and standup, or will tie up Maynard to get a restart. Maynard's GnP is not devastating . . . it's just annoying.

Number 3) Yes, Kenny is still very dangerous on the ground. He does have the potential to sub Maynard. I think it will be difficult to get an armbar, triangle or kimura just due to Maynard's compact size and strength. But I can see Kenny taking his back in a scramble and choking him out.

This is how I see it anyway. It will be close and in my opinion will go to a decision for Kenny. Kenny could pull out the sub win. But a decision is more likely. I just can't see Maynard finishing Kenny in any way.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
is it just me or does Gaytard just the most annoying looking, talking, fighting human being in the UFC??

i dont know what it is. i cant stand him tho. how he fights, acts and looks. blah.

Kflo will beat him IMO. Probably slice his head open in his usual cheesey way. Watch out for that herpe blood tho, Ken. Dont be getting it in your mouth.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Get rid of this clown Kenny...

The judges favorite poster boy....

IMO he lost to Roger Huerta and Nate...

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Get rid of this clown Kenny...

The judges favorite poster boy....

IMO he lost to Roger Huerta and Nate...
I agree with him losing to Huerta but not to Nate. I thought that fight should have been unanimous for Gray, I was surprised it was even a split decision.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I seem to recall thinking Huerta could go either way, but I did think Nate won...

On Florian Vs. Maynard:

Kenny immediately begins tooling Maynard on the feet, prompting Gray to shoot for the takedown. He continues taking damage from Kenny, but eventually gets Kenny down. On the ground, Gray finds himself in danger of several subs and is still taking elbows to the head. Eventually, he is swept and Kenny gets to his feet.

At that point, Gray decides whether to get finished on his feet or on the ground. He chooses the ground and takes Kenny down again. Kenny sweeps and gets to mount. Gray gives up his back, but not his neck. The ref steps in after numerous, unanswered blows from Kenny.

Gray signs with Strikeforce. (just kidding!)

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I can see the following happen.

1) Kenny defending a takedown by grabbing the cage
2) Maynard on top of Florian for 3 rounds
3) Kenny being more active from guard than Maynard from top position

And thus Maynard continues his streak of decisions that he should have lost. He'll be 0-3 then, wow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts