Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think for starters the UFC needs to get him back on the main cards, he is always an entertaining fighter to watch, and I personally can't see why he has been off them and in the prelims for so long.

As for his potential, he could be entering the most important point of his career, their must be few, maybe none since none come to mind, fighters not even UFC champions that have as much MMA experience and victories as him, he is becoming the right age to enter his athletic peak, he has performed better in his last 2 fights since joining the Greg Jackson camp, all the sign I think now are pointing to the conclusion that over the next 18 months he could prove to be one of the best LW's in the UFC.

I think the UFC should get him back on the main card and into action again ASAP, the guys is used to fighting regularly so another fight before the end of the summer should not be a problem for him, I would like to see a rematch against Joe Daddy Stevenson so we can see how far he has progressed in the Jackson camp, then should he get the result and look to still be on his recent run of improvement, then I hope they give him a title run of say 3 fights against 3 top competitors to possibility put him right up in line for a title fight.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
always liked guillard, he always seemed like he wanted to grow and improve. he was immature at first but hes growing and widening his game. explosive striking and an improved ground game means this guy can go far. he definetly needs to be on some main cards, he is exciting. maybe sam stout, joe stevenson, or sherk next?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Melvins problem has always been his cardio and bjj/sub defence.

Looks like he's addressing the former with his new camp, but I still think his ground game is suspect. I remember Clemente tooling him at UFC 79 in pretty short order.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Melvins problem has always been his cardio and bjj/sub defence.

Looks like he's addressing the former with his new camp, but I still think his ground game is suspect. I remember Clemente tooling him at UFC 79 in pretty short order.
you can't really argue that he has not shown weakness in his submission defence in the past, but I have never really thought of him as a fighter with a cardio problem, ok maybe he dont have great cardio like say Penn or Edgar who can look as good at the end of round 5 as they did in round 1, but still I would not say Guillard has bad cardio.

I would suspect that the Jackson camp is working hard on that submission defence problem and that he is in the perfect place, has the potential to learn from his past experience, and I suspect his next step in the sport will be his biggest ever and we could now see the best he has to offer which could be something special from a fighter with so much experience.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
The problem with Melvin being on the main card is that he can't hang with the ground game (or standup game) of guys that are on main cards. From the top of my head I can't think of any main card fighter that Melvin can beat. It would have to be someone whose grappling isn't so good... so basically I can't think of anybody that matters in this division.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with Melvin being on the main card is that he can't hang with the ground game (or standup game) of guys that are on main cards. From the top of my head I can't think of any main card fighter that Melvin can beat. It would have to be someone whose grappling isn't so good... so basically I can't think of anybody that matters in this division.
I would have to disagree, sure he has show some weaknesses in his game in the past but you are talking about a 27 year old with 42 MMA victories to his name already, you don't go 42 win to 9 losses in this sport at such a young age if you dont have a lot of potential.

It looks to me now that the Jackson camp has what it takes to drive him forward so he can reach his potential, I think 18 months is all it will take from now before he reaches his peak, then I feel he will be a real threat to any top fighter in the LW division, a real test come that time would be someone like Kenny Florian, I would not like to see him fight Kenny just yet because I think it's too soon, but in another 12 months I think he could be ready for such a test.

Should Guillard continue to improve in the mean time at the rate it looks to be going, and that fight happens say 12 to 18 months from now then I would say he has a fair 50/50 chance of walking out with a victory, and for the record I think right now Kenny if the second best LW in the UFC, with Penn No.1 and Edgar No.3.

2 or 3 good opponents for Mevlin between now and then should be all he needs to show the world how much he is improving I think.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
you can't really argue that he has not shown weakness in his submission defence in the past, but I have never really thought of him as a fighter with a cardio problem, ok maybe he dont have great cardio like say Penn or Edgar who can look as good at the end of round 5 as they did in round 1, but still I would not say Guillard has bad cardio.

I would suspect that the Jackson camp is working hard on that submission defence problem and that he is in the perfect place, has the potential to learn from his past experience, and I suspect his next step in the sport will be his biggest ever and we could now see the best he has to offer which could be something special from a fighter with so much experience.
he's always had cardio issues.. that's why he mentioned it in the post fight interview.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ross Pearson ?
Would be a great fight for entertainment value if nothing else, can see many reasons why this fight could well happen, from a Ross Pearson fan perspective, and I am very bias on this one, I would hate to see this fight scheduled, I think it would be a very bad time for Pearson to fight Guilard, I think Guillard is rising right now at a much greater rate than Person, with Guillard about to hit his peak, I think Pearson is a couple of years training behind him and needs that time to improve to the tier that I think Guillard is about to enter.

dont get me wrong I think Person will reach that level in the future but needs just a little bit more time to develop.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have been a Guillard fan since his stomach KO of Gabe Rudiger (I think) and to see him improve so much and mature is great to see and what a great KO you gotta protect ur body and head with him but who was he wanting Jeremy Stephens/Joe Steveson so confused but man Stephens vs Guillard would be an absolute war

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Last time I checked half of his fights were non-sanctioned fights, but I'll give you that, his record looks impressive (24-8-2 by the way). Still, I don't think there's anyone right now on the main card that he can beat. He might have a shot at guys that like to stand and trade a lot, but as soon as one of these LW wrestlers who are dominating the division go for it, I don't think he will be able to stand and trade.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
he has looked impressive his last 3 fights (sorry Gleison, you tried but didnt succeed) and his cardio looks very paced compared to his fight with Diaz. Melvin is one of the strongest LW wrestlers in the division and I think a match-up of Jeremy Stephenson, Shannon Gugerty, Sam Stout or Clay Guida should be in the works

1 - 14 of 14 Posts