Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Scenario:

#1 Michelle Waterson stands flat footed in the center of the cage.

#2 A straw weight with longer reach steps just close enough to Michelle to kick or punch her. But not so close that Waterson is able to counter.

Rinse and repeat a million times.

#3 Waterson tries to get close to land strikes. But the pace at which she moves her feet resembles a heavyweight. And she doesn't have a plan for what to do after she lands strikes, which typically leaves her open to a counter even if she does land.

I think smaller, shorter, fighters like Manny Pacquiao laid out a good blueprint for countering taller, bigger, fighters.

Being able to cover ground quickly and efficiently can compensate for a lack of reach.

Of course there are other basics that help with this.

One of the biggest mistakes Holly Holm and Michelle Waterson make is trying to use many of the techniques Jon Jones does, without realizing those techniques aren't effective unless you have the big reach advantage Jones does.

IMO anyways.

Feel free to disagree, I don't think anything in this post amounts to more than saying water is wet.

·
The Title Guy
17,282 Posts
Let's also keep in mind that two other reasons come into play with her loss to Joanna this last Saturday. First is that she is a small straw weight and was atom weight champion in Invicta Fighting Championship so she is dealing with that deficit. Second is that Joanna is a larger straw weight as she looked about Valentina's size in their fight so that coupled with Michelle being a small straw weight to begin with just resulted in her dealing with a longer reach, strength deficit and everything else. Not to mention Joanna is an extremely skilled fighter so that factors in as well.

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha. I get the feeling you didn't read what I said. Maybe I should have written it better.

I was thinking about Waterson being a natural atomweight and too small for the div. She's not being overpowered and held down though.

Watch her feet when she fights. Stare at her feet and ignore everything else. She moves her feet more like a 265 pound heavyweight than someone who fought at 105. Slow plodding motions. That's why she is always beat to the punch and never in a good position to counter or do anything in the stand up.

I wouldn't normally say anything but did you see Michelle Waterson crying after her loss? Sad, bruh.

·
The Title Guy
17,282 Posts
She cried after she lost her atomweight title in Invicta, and as for being flat footed you'd think Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejon would let that happen.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts

Scenario:

#1 Michelle Waterson stands flat footed in the center of the cage.

#2 A straw weight with longer reach steps just close enough to Michelle to kick or punch her. But not so close that Waterson is able to counter.

Rinse and repeat a million times.

#3 Waterson tries to get close to land strikes. But the pace at which she moves her feet resembles a heavyweight. And she doesn't have a plan for what to do after she lands strikes, which typically leaves her open to a counter even if she does land.

I think smaller, shorter, fighters like Manny Pacquiao laid out a good blueprint for countering taller, bigger, fighters.

Being able to cover ground quickly and efficiently can compensate for a lack of reach.

Of course there are other basics that help with this.

One of the biggest mistakes Holly Holm and Michelle Waterson make is trying to use many of the techniques Jon Jones does, without realizing those techniques aren't effective unless you have the big reach advantage Jones does.

IMO anyways.

Feel free to disagree, I don't think anything in this post amounts to more than saying water is wet.
Lot of shorter fighters make the mistake of trying too hard to get inside. Not that I would suggest anyone listen to me, but I've found in sparing (boxing) that you don't need to constantly chase longer fighters to get in close. Much easier to let them come to you with their long jab first, then close the distance with good timing. Nothing wrong with staying out of reach taking your time, looking for your openings.

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lot of shorter fighters make the mistake of trying too hard to get inside. Not that I would suggest anyone listen to me, but I've found in sparing (boxing) that you don't need to constantly chase longer fighters to get in close. Much easier to let them come to you with their long jab first, then close the distance with good timing. Nothing wrong with staying out of reach taking your time, looking for your openings.

IMO taller fighters are always trying to time shorter fighters to catch them coming in.

The mistake people make is moving forward predictably at the same speed with the same tempo.

Shorter fighter has to vary their steps. Sometimes they take bigger, longer, steps. Sometimes they take shorter steps so the distance they cover varies.

Rather than going straight in all of the time, step at an angle sometimes so their head and body aren't moving straight forward in a straight line.

It also helps in MMA to be a shorter fighter with solid leg kicks, the leg being the target that is furthest forward and the easiest to hit.

This is what I think anyways but I can't claim to have really put much into studying this to say what the best approach is.

·
The Title Guy
17,282 Posts
Yeah the shorter fighter needs to be smarter against the taller fighter who has the reach advantage and thus needs to be out smarted.

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Michelle Waterson biggest failing is fighting too flat footed

My biggest takeaway from Angela Hill vs Michelle Waterson.

More movement in the latter rounds from Waterson could have helped her a tiny bit there.

(y)

Does it make a difference? I would be interested to know.

·
The Title Guy
17,282 Posts
She may have fought flat footed but she got the win and a win is a win regardless of how one fights during said win. Obviously she'll need to really train if she finally gets that crack at the title but at least she's not fighting Joanna once again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts