Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike Tyson says Lesnar is powerful, fast & his pain threshold is through the roof!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Tyson-loves-Fedor-and-Mel-Gibson?urn=mma-259790

Brock Lesnar is a very exciting fighter," said Tyson. "Now you have to count that he has a great deal of intestinal fortitude from what happened from the last fight. So you can never count him out now. Cause now you know his pain threshhold is off the roof now. He's big. He's powerful. He's fast and he can handle pain as well as he can dish it."

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Brock still needs to be comfortable taking punches, but Tyson isnt wrong. Carwin hits hard and even though Brock turtled up he never quit. Props to him for that, though i still cant wait for the day someone lays him out cold :)

On a side note, i like Tyson, he's a pretty misunderstood guy. If you have seen it already, i recommend the movie "Tyson" which documents his career and personal life. Its quite insightful.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
So Tysonesque for the phrase "intestinal fortitude" to be so near the gem"off the roof."

I think it's safe to say Carwin gave Brock's chin its most meaningful test yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brock is large and powerful guy. I think to me the big problem with him is that he rubs people the wrong way, not that he is a bad fighter. I was really happy with how respectful he was to Shane Carwin this time around compare to how he had been in the past.

And no I do not count his attitude with Frank Mir towards his past, fact is Frank Mir said a lot of nasty stuff himself towards Brock and most people only saw Brock's reaction at the end of the fight. Honestly if I had someone saying to me "I hope I break your neck and kill you in our fight and I go down in history as the first MMA person to kill another fighter in the ring due to an accident." I would be pretty pissed at him too. End of the line, Frank Mir deserved the lashing Brock gave him.

That aside though with his other fights he did seem a little disrespectful, maybe it was the near death experience, maybe Dana told him to change his act. Either way I felt he was a more respectful fighter this time around. If he keeps that up I think he will start to earn the respect of UFC fans and prove himself as a fighter.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...Nice compliment from one of the greatest and most feared HW Boxers ever. Funny, it's the exact opposite of what "no lights" Toney stated about Lesnar. For someone like Tyson to say that speaks volumes. It's a pretty accurate analogy of Lesnar as well. Mike watched how Brock absorbed nasty shots from the hardest, most brutal puncher in MMA and survived it. It's too bad Mike won't fight in the UFC, I would love to see him put Toney's "Lights Out"...

·
Registered
47 Posts
...Nice compliment from one of the greatest and most feared HW Boxers ever. Funny, it's the exact opposite of what "no lights" Toney stated about Lesnar. For someone like Tyson to say that speaks volumes. It's a pretty accurate analogy of Lesnar as well. Mike watched how Brock absorbed nasty shots from the hardest, most brutal puncher in MMA and survived it. It's too bad Mike won't fight in the UFC, I would love to see him put Toney's "Lights Out"...
Preach Brother!

·
Banned
820 Posts
Brock is deffinatly a monster. I am really excited for his next match-up.

Reactions: Soojooko

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
Titles a bit misleading, I would have clicked much earlier if I'd have known it was off the roof not just through it.

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Sadly Tysons heart hasnt been in fighting for a long time. But i hear you, i'd love to have seen Tyson in his prime in the cage. He used to throw alot of dirty forearms and elbows in his boxing matches, i think MMA would have come naturally to him.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
So Tysonesque for the phrase "intestinal fortitude" to be so near the gem"off the roof."

I think it's safe to say Carwin gave Brock's chin its most meaningful test yet.
...Excellent point Swp. Lesnar had his chin tested by the hardest puncher in MMA. That's why I think Cain has a serious uphill battle. As I said before, Cain's best chance to beat Brock is to make it a kickboxing match and break Lesnar down. Cain has all the tools- legkicks, speed, cardio, solid chin and big power. Velasquez will need to put all of those elements together to win. Cain has punching power but not like Carwin, so he has to drag Brock into deep water with everything he's got...

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Brock still needs to be comfortable taking punches, but Tyson isnt wrong. Carwin hits hard and even though Brock turtled up he never quit. Props to him for that, though i still cant wait for the day someone lays him out cold :)

On a side note, i like Tyson, he's a pretty misunderstood guy. If you have seen it already, i recommend the movie "Tyson" which documents his career and personal life. Its quite insightful.
That movie made me realize Tyson is even crazier than I thought he was going in. It is a completely uncomfortable watch for about half of it. I have always liked the guy though he is one of the few people I find genuinely entertaining on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Tyson was one of the greatest HW champs !. i grew up wathcing him fight. if i was brock i would be pretty happy getting those compliments from iron mike.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Too bad the Bob Sapp vs Tyson fight never happened.

Watch this...

At approximately 1:15 Bob Sapp takes a swing at Tyson and he doesn't flinch instead smiles.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
The top HW's in the UFC are screwed as long as Brock is the champion. I have never seen an athlete quite like Brock Lesnar is. And he knows it. I love it how he got mauled by Carwin in the 1st, in the second shook it off and touched hands with carwin. :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Very precise observation by Tyson on Brock's "intestinal fortitude" as he destroyed diverticulitis.

Shane's going to get a Round II against Brock as HW champ or contender by the end of 2011, both better be ready.

·
Shogun
2,105 Posts
Too bad the Bob Sapp vs Tyson fight never happened.

Watch this...

At approximately 1:15 Bob Sapp takes a swing at Tyson and he doesn't flinch instead smiles.

yea wow i remeber when i first saw that clip i was hoping so much for the fight to happen.
I say washed up Mike whoops Crappy Sappy any day :p

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
You know what, I dislike Brock in everyday and think he is over rated, but reading what Tyson had to say about him has just raised my level of respect for him as a fighter, still dont like him (Brock) and still dont think he is the best HW (I still give that credit to JDS) but I have so much respect for anything Tyson says cos the guy speak the his mind on anything he says and always calls it the way he sees it, so if Tyson thinks he is that good the he must be better than I give him credit for

So if he has say 3 out of 10 on a respect as a fighter level from me before, he was at 1/10 before the Carwin fight, he is now at 5/10, if he beats Cain, well depends how in some respect but he could move up to between 7/8, but if he goes 1 step further and fights the winner of JDS/Nelson after and again wins he will earn my respect as a fighter and be a 9/10 or possible 10/10 on my respect as a fighter level even if I still dont like the guy.

and to put on a scale of how bad 3/10 or even 5/10 is on my respect level compared to other UFC Champs I will give you a run down

Aldo 9.5/10
Edgar 8/10 (Penn 9/10)
GSP 10/10
Silva 10/10
Shogun 9.5/10
Brock 5/10 (JDS 9/10)(Overeem 9/10)

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
I was too young to appreciate Tyson when he was around, but even at a young, young age, I knew Tyson was the shet.

I lol'd at Frank Bruno getting crushed in the third. God, Bruno was rubbish. UK heavies always are.

Still... a good lol at Brunos expense is always good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts