Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you lot see this fight going down... both maybe not as good on the feet as once thought, both good in the jitz department

looser would be in a bad position, winner could justify another shot at the big 4

would you lke to see this fight?? i say mir by ko

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...Both have been knocked back down the HW ladder. I guess Mir would win if he turns it into a striking match...

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Mirs striking is very overrated.

this could be a good match. GG has serious power. If he hit Mir like he hit Carwin i dont see frontrunner Frank recovering.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I would favor Mir, but I favored Mir against Carwin with just as much confidence, so.... I think I underestimate Gonzaga.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This fight could go either way, I would kind of favor Mir. That is depending on his mental state after this loss. Gonzaga could easily pull off the upset.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think mir has the slight advantage standing, and im not one of these people who rates his stand up to much

but i think if taken to the ground, gonzagas jitz is of a higher standard, i personally think mirs kitz is a tad over rated... im pretty sure franks had his day... for some reason i just think gonzaga needs to move camps to be a serious serious threat again

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
This fight could go either way, I would kind of favor Mir. That is depending on his mental state after this loss. Gonzaga could easily pull off the upset.
...Don't forget about Gabe's mental state getting put to sleep brutally by Carwin & JDS...

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Its hard to say who would win this. Both are pretty much on the same level as far as striking and BJJ is concerned.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Gabe hasn't seemed very good at holding people down, and Mir's big and a good grappler, so he could probably stand back up. Gabe's not going to be submitting Mir from the bottom either. Standing Mir's got an edge. It'd be a tougher fight for Mir than Nog or Kongo but you still gotta figure Mir wins this.

As far as the ladder is concerned there's no way Gabe is anywhere close to Mir; he's never really had a significant win in the UFC unless you count whats-his-name who's also never had a significant win in the UFC.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Historically, the UFC has given Gonzaga easier opponents after he seemingly inevitably loses to top contenders (not named Mirko). He's been given two very difficult opponents in a row now in Carwin and Junior, so he'll likely get an easier opponent. I still consider Mur to be one of the top 6 or 7 heavyweights in the UFC (possibly top 5) ahead of Nogueira and Randy Couture, among others.

Therefore, Gonzaga will likely get someone just outside this elite group of 6 or 7 heavyweights: Kongo, Rothwell, or the like.

Whether management wants him to or not, Gonzaga is falling into the role of gatekeeper at 265 and under.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Historically, the UFC has given Gonzaga easier opponents after he seemingly inevitably loses to top contenders (not named Mirko). He's been given two very difficult opponents in a row now in Carwin and Junior, so he'll likely get an easier opponent. I still consider Mur to be one of the top 6 or 7 heavyweights in the UFC (possibly top 5) ahead of Nogueira and Randy Couture, among others.

Therefore, Gonzaga will likely get someone just outside this elite group of 6 or 7 heavyweights: Kongo, Rothwell, or the like.

Whether management wants him to or not, Gonzaga is falling into the role of gatekeeper at 265 and under.
thats true, but i think with his size & bjj background he will always be a threat (if) in the right mental state/ better training camp

hes 2 wins away from everyone bein back on the band wagon again i think.... he has potential, just hope he does somethin about it

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Mir is a clear number 5.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I always thought Napao was Mir's nightmare matchup. Though I've obviously been proven wrong I still think Gonzaga would win this.
He could. Styles make fights and this would be a fight I would really like to see. It would be a great comeback fight for both guys but especially Gonzaga who i would think would be a pretty big underdog. They are both 'fair' with their hands but great on the ground.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I think Mir takes this fight but im not really interested in this one. The only thing that I like at this point is Mir vs Nog II.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Very interesting fight.
One i would most definetly love to watch.
I would give the advantage on striking to Mir (strange, ha?). But, standing up, Gonzaga has proved on several occasions he can land some devastating kicks: low kicks and high kicks (ask CroCop).
But this fight, i would like to see them go to the ground. Mir has very good BJJ and so does Gonzaga.
It's not everyday we would have the chance of seeing 2 elite grapplers in the HW division fighting each other. (There was Mir-Nog, but that one has a history..)
I would take Gonzaga by head kick :D, just because he would be the underdog.

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Mir is a lot better at both grappling and striking Gonzaga is really overrated.
There is nothing wrong with Gonzaga's ground game! The brief time he was on the ground with Werdum (second fight) they pretty much nullified each others skills. Problem is Gonzaga doesn't use it as much as he should. Also, one could make the argument that Mir's striking is completely overrated as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts