Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=4289&offset=0

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir says he would like to fight current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva at a catch weight if Anderson’s planned super fight with Georges St. Pierre is now off.

Silva has previously talked of a move to heavyweight but more recently talked about dropping for a catch weight fight with welterweight division boss St. Pierre. However, UFC president Dana White said yesterday he has gone off that idea somewhat after Anderson put on another bizarre and disappointing show in the headline bout of UFC 112.

“I would love to fight Anderson Silva!” Mir told Fighters Only in a text message last night. “I would even make it a 235 catch weight to make it more appealing to his manager and the commission.”

Silva has fought at light-heavyweight twice in the UFC and finished both his fights there with TKO stoppages. 235lbs would be the highest weight he had ever fought at although he walks around at a similar weight when bulking up for his light-heavyweight excursions.

Whether the UFC would be interested in matching Mir and Silva is unclear but Anderson would certainly have his work cut out for him if they did. Mir is a jiu jitsu player like Maia but his significant size advantage alone would make him a much more threatening prospect.
Interesting, however I don't see this fight happening for a long time. First Silva'as got to battle some LHW's, defend his MW title some more, then perhaps consider moving up to have some HW fights - if he does at all.

Who takes this one? Opinions?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If he tries dancing around and being a retard with Mir he's gonna get knocked over and submitted in the first round.

I think Mir can take this so long as he comes in with a good game plan and goes for takedowns and jumps his guard. This is a bit like Silva Maia except Mir is a lot more adequate on the feet and a hell of a lot stronger.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Mir would get KOed he is too slow, doesn't have a good enough chin, thinks too highly of his boxing, and has crap takedowns. Anyone who thinks otherwise go watch Vera/Mir. I'm a fan of Mir too but this is just not the kind of matchup he needs you know he would do some stupid shit like think he can box him his gameplans are awful.

·
Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,060 Posts
Mir would probably wade right through the punches and clinch up like Henderson did. He would then pull gaurd and with as big as Mir is Anderson wouldnt be able to stop him.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Mir would probably wade right through the punches and clinch up like Henderson did. He would then pull gaurd and with as big as Mir is Anderson wouldnt be able to stop him.
That isn't what happened in the Hendo fight. Anderson over committed and got right up to Hendo because he knew Hendo wasn't any danger to him on the ground and got grabbed and dragged down.

·
'England Elite'
5,028 Posts
I think Mir would take this, but just imagine if Silva somehow knocks Mir out in like the first round, i wonder is that will piss Dana off even more!

·
Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,060 Posts
That isn't what happened in the Hendo fight. Anderson over committed and got right up to Hendo because he knew Hendo wasn't any danger to him on the ground and got grabbed and dragged down.
Sorry my mistake I just rewatched and I was thinking of the second round when they were trading and Dan tried that lousy shot and ended up on bottom.

Eitherway Mir will wade through the punches, to many people stay right out there at long range with Silva and it's just not the riht way to fight the guy.

Also rewatching that still makes me think Henderson would have a good chance of beating Silva in a rematch. There was no reason for him to shoot in like that in the second round he had just landed some decent shots. A few stupid mistakes on Hendo's part if you ask me.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I think Mir wants to get back in the sportlight asap, and at this moment he knows a lot of people are seing Silva as a "villain". So if he gets to beat the villain, he will be somekind of "hero". Isn't it??!
But i don't think this fight happening. For a lot of reasons.
Silva needs to fight again at MW: it's either Belfort or Sonnen. If those fights don't take place, he will most definetly fight at LHW.
I know he walks at arround 220 and he could definetly bulk up even more, but if this were to happen, he wouldn't get to fight a 235 lbs Mir, but a much larger Mir, 245-250 lbs.
I could see Silva dominating in the stand-up, but what would this fight look like?? Hit and run?! Because i don't think he woud wanna stay close with Mir. Frank is just to strong for Silva. For once, i think Mir, would get to enjoy putting the same beating on someone, like Brock did to him.
I'm not saying Silva couldn't win, especialy with Mir's weak jaw...but i don't think the fight will not take place.

I might be wrong though :)

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I don't see how any HW could beat Anderson! There are only three guys with a Wrestling base and 2 of them cut to make weight.. so I wouldn't be interested to see them laying on top of Silva and pounding him unconscious.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I don't see how any HW could beat Anderson! There are only three guys with a Wrestling base and 2 of them cut to make weight.. so I wouldn't be interested to see them laying on top of Silva and pounding him unconscious.
I agree, anderson would be way to quick on the feet for any heavywieght, just like the lighter fedor is too fast for the big guys he fights, it would look like the forrest fight over and over again with the heavywieght strikers.

jds would be a fight i'd love to see, that won't happen cus they train together

he would submit cain imo.

every other heavywieght would be in trouble, exept for brock and carwin, who would probable pound him out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Normally Mir is the one who get's KO'd/TKO'd fairly easily (no, I'm not saying easily, but compared to other HW's)..

But if you put him up against Anderson Silva, it should be an interesting fight, because in my opinion, Silva is afraid to end matches, and that would even become bigger at heavyweight..

Overall it could be a good fight, which I only see ending in a decision OR a submission by Mir.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Normally Mir is the one who get's KO'd/TKO'd fairly easily (no, I'm not saying easily, but compared to other HW's)..

But if you put him up against Anderson Silva, it should be an interesting fight, because in my opinion, Silva is afraid to end matches, and that would even become bigger at heavyweight..

Overall it could be a good fight, which I only see ending in a decision OR a submission by Mir.
silva is afraid to end matchs???...he's finished every fight he's been in, exept for 2, since he's been in the ufc.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I hope Mir takes Silva's neck and pretends its Tim Sylvia's arm.

I so would be interested.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would be interrested in seeing this fight for the simple fact that I think Silva needs a wakeup call. He's dominated in a few too many matches and I'm afraid his head might be a little swollen. He needs to get in there and lose a match or two so he can re-focus himself.

I think Mir is simply too big and strong for him to do much against.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
i can't believe people think anderson would beat the majority of HW's

brock would maul him

carwin would break his face

cain would maul him

murr would take a limb home

i would love to see him vs JDS, he would put so much pressure on anderson and knock his ass out

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am suprised how many people seem to think Mir would win this fight.

I would like to see this fight but for me Silva wins easily. His stiking is just on a different level and he has decent enough BJJ.

I think only Lesnar, Lyoto, Cariwn, JDS and Cain would be favourite or have a decent chance to beat him in the whole UFC.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.