Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
I've wondered for years if there's a relationship between cardio and being able to absorb and recover from strikes.

Tony Ferguson is only the latest example of it.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be fair it doesn't look like Tony's cardio was effected at all. He was just not taking the strikes which I can see makes the theory that those weight cuts he's been through effected him. That I could see as possible but realistically so could the cardio punishment theory.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
A fighter with good cardio, could have a better oxygenated brain, making them more resistant to being knocked out. It could also help them to recover quicker if they get rocked.

That could be part of the reason why guys with off the charts cardio like Tony Ferguson can absorb so much punishment and recover quickly if they do get hurt.

It could also explain why some fighters get rocked or finished easily when their cardio is bad. Later their cardio improves, and their chin appears to improve significantly as a result.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that maybe part of the reason why the Diaz brothers have an extremely low knockout loss rate and usually stay in the fight until the final bell. Their BJJ skills is also the reason why neither of them have been submitted in all of their careers.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
What happens when someone is choked out? They lose consciousness. There could be a relationship between the amount of oxygen in the brain and staying awake. A person whose o2 levels are depleted due to bad cardio could be easier to choke out and knock out. The inverse opposite could also be true.

There could be knowledge a person can gain, simply via basic deduction.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's certainly true but there's also the fact that certain people react differently to different stresses like a weight cut. Generally it is the same in that it causes stress on the body but some people can handle it better and others not as well. Tony before this could handle it well but obviously too many in a row may deplete the body way too much.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
That's certainly true but there's also the fact that certain people react differently to different stresses like a weight cut. Generally it is the same in that it causes stress on the body but some people can handle it better and others not as well. Tony before this could handle it well but obviously too many in a row may deplete the body way too much.

As far as cutting weight goes, people are impressed by what Mike Dolce and George Lockhart can do.

I think there is still plenty of room for improvement.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First is a question of whom is George Lockhard? And second, yes Mike Dolce is one of the best dieticians in the MMA industry and gets his fighters down to weight very well. Though my question is why does it seem like most of his clients have left?

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
George Lockhart has been around the UFC for a long time as a nutritionist/weight cutting coach. He was probably most famous when he worked with Cyborg Justino.

Remember back when BJ Penn tried to get the $$ he paid Mike Dolce returned? Then Rampage said there was nothing special about the Dolce diet. I would guess he's accumulated a few negative reviews over time, even if they're not as public as they used to be.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My guess with the backlash against Mike Dolce is that maybe there were a few cases of guys not doing what they were supposed to do while on the diet and things didn't work. The fact is Mike Dolce is a great nutritionist. Also George Lockhard working with Cyborg would make sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts