Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
JDS seemed to be looking for the uppercut he finished Fabricio Werdum with in 2008.

They both threw at the same time. Blaydes got there 1st with the straight right.

The straight punch might reach the target before the punch with the curved path: uppercuts and hooks.

Impressed with how much Blaydes improved his hands for that one.

·
The Title Guy
16,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh straight punches will without a doubt get to it's target faster then a curved punch because of reach which is simple math. Also I agree that Blaydes is one of those fighters who is improving leaps and bounds at a constant rate and will probably be fighting for a title soon.

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
Should mention there is an exception to straight punches hitting the target before punches following a curved path. Some guys like Francis Ngannou have an 83 inch reach and can hit ppl from far away where the other guy might not be able land a straight punch. Its also unexpected and confusing, no one will do that in sparring, etc. Unless they have those long dhalsim limbs. That could be one case where an uppercut/hook will land before the straight, as we've seen in some of Ngannou KO highlights.

I think I feel another thread coming. The next one will be about honey and its potential medical applications.

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
I think I feel another thread coming. The next one will be about honey and its potential medical applications.

I don't know if I'll make a thread on it.

Honey is known as a natural anti bacterial. The US military might have investigated it in the past as being a potential treatment for serious injuries. It is possible MMA fighters could treat things like staph or MRSA infections by covering them in honey. But there are downsides to it. The honey itself would never begin to decompose or rot, assuming it was raw honey and not the generic store bought honey, which is often not actually honey.

Raw honey would begin to go bad if moisture was introduced to it though. Which could make it a poor candidate to apply to surface infections & open wounds.

Could be one of many interesting ideas that actually works for MMA. Like how normal people krazy glued or taped injuries closed years before the medical industry adopted either as common standard. But I really don't have the time, experience or thorough info background to do a good job commenting on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts