Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The way things work now doesn't make much sense. A fighter has to basically be "owned" by a league- UFC, Strikeforce, whatever.
This makes sense for team sports, but not for individual sports.
Golf, tennis - these are individual sports and these guys are independent contractors and can play whenever, wherever they want - no one "owns" them.

Why not for MMA?

·
'Man of Stone'
430 Posts
Sponsors own golfers, tennis players and the like... There is always going to be someone with a overwhelming influence over the fighters and their intellectual property per se.

The property for the fighter would be licensing and royalties for endorsements being able to add the fighter to the card a long with a long list of other things.

It makes it a LOT easier for all involved for the fighters to be owned by UFC or whatever promotion they fight for as the promotion takes care of a lot of everything involved.

I have no idea why I responded to the troll here but I always take a chance to educate others when possible!

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
It's exactly like professional wrestling, and the reason Jesse Ventura and Vince McMahon hate each other now. Basically, fighters are contracted, therefore the UFC doesn't have to pay for anything, except the contracted price, which is usually the purse. For example, the UFC doesn't have to pay a dime when it comes to fighter medical bills.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
You don't know what independent contractor means. MMA fighters are the definition of independent contractors. The UFC doesn't own fighters they negotiate with them to form a contract to work for a specific amount of days and there are other companies available to provide your services to.

Tennis players and Golfers aren't independent contractors.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
The way things work now doesn't make much sense. A fighter has to basically be "owned" by a league- UFC, Strikeforce, whatever.
This makes sense for team sports, but not for individual sports.
Golf, tennis - these are individual sports and these guys are independent contractors and can play whenever, wherever they want - no one "owns" them.

Why not for MMA?
They are not owned by the UFC/Strikeforce that's just ridiculous. Secondly having one major league is better for mma. Multiple promoters killed boxing. Having one main league assures the best fights and gives the sport the best opportunity for success. As far as Golf and Tennis ATP and PGA have a lot to say about what athletes can and can't do.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For example, the UFC doesn't have to pay a dime when it comes to fighter medical bills.
does the ufc pay for those bills though? like, i know you just said they don't HAVE to.. i would've thought they would just to be courteous i guess.

or that could be asking a bit too much from dana.

·
Registered
816 Posts
does the ufc pay for those bills though? like, i know you just said they don't HAVE to.. i would've thought they would just to be courteous i guess.

or that could be asking a bit too much from dana.
Iv heard of the ufc paying all the bills for top ranking guys i wouldnt think so for the samll guys tho

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
i think the ufc should pay for the medical bills, seriously that is the least they can do

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
you're telling a business that took itself from being almost worthless to being what now could probably be a business worth billions that it needs a new business model?

Let me laugh.

HAH! HAH! HAH!

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
God I was trying to avoid this thread. Clearly, the OP is a troll. Still, gotta make clarifications.

For example, the UFC doesn't have to pay a dime when it comes to fighter medical bills.
This is just not true.

What you mean to say is that the UFC doesn't pay for medical expenses which are accrued outside of the ring.

The UFC policy is that all injuries which occur inside of the octagon will be paid for by the UFC, but that all injuries occurring outside are the responsibility of fighters.

The issue is that the UFC sees it as too large a risk to personally insure fighters for injuries which might occur during training or recreation. Frankly, that's not totally unreasonable, as the UFC doesn't have any contractual regulation of the behavior of fighters, like (for example) a professional baseball or basketball team would.

Still, with the number of injuries that occur inside the octagon (including concussion testing from every knockout, major cuts and periodic broken bones) it's worth noting that the UFC does spend a lot of money on medical expenses for their fighters, but does not insure them during training camp.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
thankyou for clearing that one up :thumb02:
It's what I'm here for.

There's really only been one case in recent memory that has been a particularly good illustration of the UFC's policy, and that's the Corey Hill injury, which the UFC was contractually obligated to deal with the bills of, and they did, and then some.

There are other serious injuries from recreational activities or freak accidents that the UFC does not cover outside of the octagon, but most of those predate this particular UFC policy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dont think it needs a new business model at all. Fighters sign an x number amount of fights and are paid for those fights..with bonuses etc. So they are not owned by the organisation they are just contracted for a certain period of time. I think that is good for both parties because once that fight deal is up, it gives the organisation the ability to get rid of dead wood..i.e. people they see no longer relevant..but at the same time it gives the fighters power in that if they want to move on they can do so after there deal is up. I think it also gives the top fighters the ability to get better cash deals because organisations have to renegotiate deals after each deal is up.

The main thing for me is that organisations are ran by a central organiser unlike boxing which has became so politicalized and picky that its a miracle when big fights are finally agreed to. For example, the mayweather vs pac saga that is going on at the moment, there is too much focus on money and this that and the other..instead of a dana white figure which is able to lay out the rule and say what is allowed and what isnt..its either take it or leave it!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
God I was trying to avoid this thread. Clearly, the OP is a troll. Still, gotta make clarifications.

This is just not true.

What you mean to say is that the UFC doesn't pay for medical expenses which are accrued outside of the ring.

The UFC policy is that all injuries which occur inside of the octagon will be paid for by the UFC, but that all injuries occurring outside are the responsibility of fighters.

The issue is that the UFC sees it as too large a risk to personally insure fighters for injuries which might occur during training or recreation. Frankly, that's not totally unreasonable, as the UFC doesn't have any contractual regulation of the behavior of fighters, like (for example) a professional baseball or basketball team would.

Still, with the number of injuries that occur inside the octagon (including concussion testing from every knockout, major cuts and periodic broken bones) it's worth noting that the UFC does spend a lot of money on medical expenses for their fighters, but does not insure them during training camp.
If posting provocative statements with the purpose of engaging relevant debate is a troll, then I guess I'm a troll...don't mean to offend anyone, I just think discussion and debate is healthy for sport, business, politics, etc.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don't know what independent contractor means. MMA fighters are the definition of independent contractors. The UFC doesn't own fighters they negotiate with them to form a contract to work for a specific amount of days and there are other companies available to provide your services to.

Tennis players and Golfers aren't independent contractors.
Not sure you are correct here but you write with a tone of certainty - are you an employment attorney?

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
If posting provocative statements with the purpose of engaging relevant debate is a troll, then I guess I'm a troll...don't mean to offend anyone, I just think discussion and debate is healthy for sport, business, politics, etc.
If you want to call it a "provocative" post, you're welcome to. It wasn't, as has been demonstrated by the length of the thread.

Also, don't double post.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
"Greed is good. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit."

Welcome to the world of capitalism.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
The UFC's business model is one of the best in the Sports industry these days.
They've achieved so much in such a short amount of time.
I think they will be even bigger and in fact, i think other sports (boxing especially) should copy UFC's model.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Why change it if it's working? wouldn't a different model create more hoops to jump through and make it easier for a fighter to dodge another fighter? (I'm looking at you, Mayweather.)

We don't really want a bunch of Don King's and Bob Arum's in our sport, at least Dana's feet are on the ground. Can't say that much for Scott Coker though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.