Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Im a 23 year old who has just come out of uni. I have competed in various sports since the age of 13. I have competed as an amateur boxer and did boxing passionatly for about 4 years, I toyed with the idea of going pro but life kinda took over ( ass it seems to do)! However, I have a burning passion inside and I want to be a MMA fighter, and Id love one day to fight in the UFC (doesnt every one).
Anyway, the problem is MMA isnt really that big in the UK, and in the particular area where I live (grimsby, N.E.Lincs,UK) there arent ANY gyms.

I regularly train at home and would consider travelling once a week to a Gym for some sparring etc, However, I wanted to know if anyone knew of any advanced training routines, just so I can get a grip of where Im at!

Im 5'11 and weigh about 185Lbs

My current routines is this:
Mon-Fri 6 :00 am2.5 mile jog in about 25 mins
Then at 6:00 every nitght Ill hit my gym at home.
Monday: 30 minutes Abs/sit up work/cdore work, 30 minutes skipping, 30 minutes shaddowboxing, 30 minutes either cross trainer or calisthetics.
Tues- 30 minutes some form of cardio either cross, skipping, shaddowing. Then Ill weight train for 45 mins-1hr. Either 1 or two bodyparts anywhere from 10-20 reps.
Wed- same as mon, instead of one of the segments ill hit the bag for about 30 mins.
Thurs-same as tues
Fri- same as tues
Sat- very similar to monday, however i mite do some circuit training doing 3 minute bursts with 1 minute recovery for 10 rounds.
sun- play football/soccer

Any advice, information, opinions that anyone could give me would be great.
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
First thing, unless you have a great deal of workout equipment at home, you should be going to the gym every day. If you do have a benchpress, kickpress and some freeweights at home then you should be going 3-4 times a week to spar.

My first suggestion is to start training in submissions and takedowns, if only so that you can learn to avoid them. I've fought to many boxers who just though "I think I can do that" without first training in submissions. I think I've fought three of those guys, and those three fights took about 11 minutes total. (that's not very long)

If you want to be a pure striker, or at least a primary striker, you have to train your kicks and work on striking from a clinch, which are the two biggest changes from MMA striking to boxing. Knees are also important, but that's one that is usually developed after spending time on kicks and increasing your leg strength.

I know this last part is going to sound a little rude, but 5'11" is a little bit short and think for a 185 pound fighter. Unless you're really solid, which you may be, I would suggest adding about 30 to an hour of cardio to your daily workout. If you're a solid 185, you should be posting at least a few sets of a 300 lb benchpress and kickpressing upwards of 650 lbs.

Best of luck to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got to do the best with what youve been given!!!!

Hey bro,
Thanks for the reply, your knowledge and information is very helpful. I totally agree with your comments about being a boxer who thinks ' i can do that'. I must agree ive actually trained with people like that, thats pure ignorance. I have done a little bit of very light, stand up wrestling to help with my body strength for boxing. and i am not neive enough to say that its easy. Quite the opposite actually, theres so many stabilising muscles involved its extreamly tiring.
I am aware of this, and i want to be the best striker i could be, ive seen fighters who are predominantly strikers,who gassed from striking, who i thought, god if he could just do anything else....phil baroni comes to mind!!!

I am already working on increasing my strength and close striking, can you give me any drills, tips which i could practice on my own. Like i said the main problem for me is that there are no gyms available around my area which cater for such a sport so i have to make do with what ive got till i find one!

I have actually got a very well equipped gym, weights wise, at home. lots of machines tonns of free weights, so again if you can tell me what im currently doing resistance wise is on the correct lines?
I know, what would i do for a few more inches!!! But like i said youve got to do the best with what god gave you!! I am however a pretty solid 185 lbs. Ive never had my bodyfat % tested or anything like that but ive got a visible set of abs, so im not sure what that makes me...15% maybe?? I have bench pressed 3x45s on and olympic bar as a 1 rep max before, but i dont usually go that high I prefer to stay in the moderate to high rep ranges around the 225-250lbs range!
Also how much cardio would you be doing per week?
Another big problem for me is that Im at work everyday from 8-6 which doesnt leave me too much time to train!

thanks again, any info from anyone would be much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
i dont have much time to train either, first thing i did was work around my classes, i do BJJ monday and wedsday and mauy thai tuesday.

Then of coarse i took my work scheduale into account and decided on a regimen based on that. It seems you have a good base with boxing so as iornman said if you want to be MMA then by definition you better learn some ground game. if you dont have a school nearby then you at least need a JJ book and a partner and a mat, you can always check out my website as well for help on that.

This of coarse is all temporary, you need to get your ass to a school, being self taught is nto impossible but its much harder and you need allthe positive stuff that comes with being around tougher, bigger and more experienced guys that can you help you as you go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
Steve-d said:
i dont have much time to train either, first thing i did was work around my classes, i do BJJ monday and wedsday and mauy thai tuesday.

Then of coarse i took my work scheduale into account and decided on a regimen based on that. It seems you have a good base with boxing so as iornman said if you want to be MMA then by definition you better learn some ground game. if you dont have a school nearby then you at least need a JJ book and a partner and a mat, you can always check out my website as well for help on that.

This of coarse is all temporary, you need to get your ass to a school, being self taught is nto impossible but its much harder and you need allthe positive stuff that comes with being around tougher, bigger and more experienced guys that can you help you as you go.
not only that you can compare your improvement when youo train with others you can not compare when self training.. plus the whole motivation factor of training with others helps as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Totally agree! Im already in the process of looking, would any of you happen to know some simple training drills that will help me improve, somewhere to start kinda thing!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
sure, start with sprawls.

a sprawl is like doing a belly flop to the floor, let your legs fall out and hit the ground in a push up type posisition then get back up.

That really works your stamina and its a important move in grappling, you need to "sprawl" when somone "shoots"

so do about 20 sprawls take a small break then 20 more, and repeat untill your good.

After that you can mix it up, do a sprawl but when u hit the ground bang out like 10 pushups then back to your feet, sprawl again and another 20 push ups.

etc etc

this is the best image i can find, the guy on the left is shooitng, the guy onthe right is attempting a sprwal but the image is taken before he hits the mat.

 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
mo171083 said:
I know, what would i do for a few more inches!!! But like i said youve got to do the best with what god gave you!! I am however a pretty solid 185 lbs. Ive never had my bodyfat % tested or anything like that but ive got a visible set of abs, so im not sure what that makes me...15% maybe?? I have bench pressed 3x45s on and olympic bar as a 1 rep max before, but i dont usually go that high I prefer to stay in the moderate to high rep ranges around the 225-250lbs range!
Also how much cardio would you be doing per week?
Another big problem for me is that Im at work everyday from 8-6 which doesnt leave me too much time to train!
I tend to suggest lifting about 50-60 pounds heavier than your opponent when you're training, but you seem to already be doing that.

I suggest at least 1-2 hours of cardio a day, but if you're working as much as you are it's more important to get in what you can. Cardio is best in combat training sessions, like hitting the bag (either heavy or speed) and practicing putting together combinations while practicing footwork. That tends to be a little bit more practical than running.

The sprawls are always a good thing that you can practice on your own. Also, study some submission fighters, so that you know what it looks like before you have to compete with it. Do your homework! Like I said, guys come to the ring unprepared and they get takendown and submitted without any fight. Don't be one of those guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
Steve-d said:
sure, start with sprawls.

a sprawl is like doing a belly flop to the floor, let your legs fall out and hit the ground in a push up type posisition then get back up.

That really works your stamina and its a important move in grappling, you need to "sprawl" when somone "shoots"

so do about 20 sprawls take a small break then 20 more, and repeat untill your good.

After that you can mix it up, do a sprawl but when u hit the ground bang out like 10 pushups then back to your feet, sprawl again and another 20 push ups.

etc etc

this is the best image i can find, the guy on the left is shooitng, the guy onthe right is attempting a sprwal but the image is taken before he hits the mat.

one thing to remember when sprawling is your not falling foward your going straight down sprawling once you learn it properly is a great skill to have
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Totally agree with you guys, I think a good sprawl is just as dangerous in a fight as a good shoot. I mean if ur a striker (or predominatly one) then you wanna be on your feet as much as possible (a la chuckliddel! the ledge of avoiding a shoot/ takedown!).
I tried that sprawl drill, Really gets the heart goin and works the whole of the body.
Doing some heavy badwork was mentioned, I still try to do alot of bag work in a boxing type of way would that be sufficient? I mean i add the elbows and stuff in on certain rounds. But when i hit the bad i just do 10x3 with 1 min in between! Would that be enough or do i need to do more?
Anotha Q, if you didnt have a training partner at your disposal, but you had a person who wouldnt be much help as a fighter is there any way u could use them in your training??? (as i have my younger brother who isnt into training, but he weighs a good 200lbs, so its a bit of weight to move about if you know what i mean!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
mo171083 said:
Totally agree with you guys, I think a good sprawl is just as dangerous in a fight as a good shoot. I mean if ur a striker (or predominatly one) then you wanna be on your feet as much as possible (a la chuckliddel! the ledge of avoiding a shoot/ takedown!).
I tried that sprawl drill, Really gets the heart goin and works the whole of the body.
Doing some heavy badwork was mentioned, I still try to do alot of bag work in a boxing type of way would that be sufficient? I mean i add the elbows and stuff in on certain rounds. But when i hit the bad i just do 10x3 with 1 min in between! Would that be enough or do i need to do more?
Anotha Q, if you didnt have a training partner at your disposal, but you had a person who wouldnt be much help as a fighter is there any way u could use them in your training??? (as i have my younger brother who isnt into training, but he weighs a good 200lbs, so its a bit of weight to move about if you know what i mean!)
may help a little in your training.. but if you want to get better you need someone who is at least your skill level or better to really imrpove preferably better... but he if he is willing allow you to try move so you can work on your technique just don't hurt him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
well everyone always says how they train with bigger stronger people and how that helps them ( i do as well)

thats really the only way he can help, his bigger size woul dbe good for you to practice moving him around and pusing him off you.

other then that, you really need somone who knows something, somone who can counter or break your moves as you try to apply them, if wont help you if somone just lets you do the move on them. Even if they fight back there wont be anything technical about it, they can defend and armbar no apply it...etc etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
agreed bro, but at the moment that aint really an option!
I mean do u think there is ANYTHING u could do that would be productive with someone who doesnt know any MMA?
do you rekon therd be any point in letting him try to take me down, and try to avoid it?
He is however, very good at doing padwork, so do you think my time would be better spent trying to work on my hands?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
mo171083 said:
agreed bro, but at the moment that aint really an option!
I mean do u think there is ANYTHING u could do that would be productive with someone who doesnt know any MMA?
do you rekon therd be any point in letting him try to take me down, and try to avoid it?
He is however, very good at doing padwork, so do you think my time would be better spent trying to work on my hands?
yea if he got no real skills to challenge you no point.. unless it is to help him train.. the one advantage is you can learn self control.. if you were to grapple with him.. it would be up to you to prevent either of you from getting really hurt.. he would get better by being outclassed.. you would get better because you would be concentrating more on proper execution of the moves and technique and self control... so there is slight advantage plus he may be a natural and make you tap ya never know.. but yea also do the pad work as well...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top