Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Fedor's recent loss I guess they couldn't wait till the end of the week to pull the trigger. Thing will look a lot clearer at the top after July 3rd. And look at Werdum at #2!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11911&zoneid=2

EAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (over 205 pounds)

#1 Heavyweight Fighter in the World: Brock Lesnar
2. Fabricio Werdum
3. Fedor Emelianenko
4. Shane Carwin
5. Cain Velasquez
6. Junior Dos Santos
7. Alistair Overeem
8. Frank Mir
9. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
10. Brett Rogers
I think it's funny that out of that entire list, here is a list of guys they have fought.

Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir
Shane Carwin vs Frank Mir
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Frank Mir
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Cain Velasquez
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Fedor Emilianenko
Fabricio Werdum vs Fedor Emilianenko
Brett Rogers vs Fedor Emilianenko
Junior Dos Santos vs Fabricio Werdum
Alistair Overeem vs Fabricio Werdum
Alistair Overeem vs Brett Rogers

Interesting that Werdum, Fedor, Nog and Mir all have fought 3 currently Top 10 ranked opponents, Overeem and Brett have fought 2, while the rest, Brock, JDS, Cain and Carwin have only fought 1 each. How do you rate a division that has barely had any contact with eachother?

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
With Fedor's recent loss I guess they couldn't wait till the end of the week to pull the trigger. Thing will look a lot clearer at the top after July 3rd. And look at Werdum at #2!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11911&zoneid=2

I think it's funny that out of that entire list, here is a list of guys they have fought.

Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir
Shane Carwin vs Frank Mir
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Frank Mir
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Cain Velasquez
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Fedor Emilianenko
Fabricio Werdum vs Fedor Emilianenko
Brett Rogers vs Fedor Emilianenko
Junior Dos Santos vs Fabricio Werdum
Alistair Overeem vs Fabricio Werdum
Alistair Overeem vs Brett Rogers

Interesting that Werdum, Fedor, Nog and Mir all have fought 3 currently Top 10 ranked opponents, Overeem and Brett have fought 2, while the rest, Brock, JDS, Cain and Carwin have only fought 1 each. How do you rate a division that has barely had any contact with eachother?
I could not agree any more.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How do you rate a division that has barely had any contact with eachother?
It's a subjective calculation (e.g. college football). I am sure they have a criteria for comparing. That's not say that I agree with the list.

However, they are in the business of providing rankings to fans so they have to come up with them somehow. They can't say "we don't have rankings because not all of them have fought each other".

The list would be less exciting if they have all fought against each other. What would be left to work out?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I could not agree any more.

Thats my problem with the UFC HW division at the minute. We have the top 4 pretty much cemented right now in Brock, Carwin, Cain and JDS, but how you can rank them in any order considering none have fought each other is beyond me. Its all opinion and conjucture at this moment.

A year from now we will probably have a pretty solid idea of who is the best HW in the world. Until then its all up in the air until the completion of this UFC HW 'Tournament'.

Fedor will probably always be the anamoly that cannot be placed with any certainty, though obviously his stock has fallen rather drastically this last week.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a subjective calculation (e.g. college football). I am sure they have a criteria for comparing. That's not say that I agree with the list.

However, they are in the business of providing rankings to fans so they have to come up with them somehow. They can't say "we don't have rankings because not all of them have fought each other".

The list would be less exciting if they have all fought against each other. What would be left to work out?
It was more of a rhetorical question. To use your example though, at least in college football the teams will play many other ranked teams through out the course of the year ending in the bowl games to fully determine their ranking. But with the UFC it seems Joe Silva and Dana White are content not to match up their obvious top contenders unless they are title fights.

I should also note that Overeem fought Werdum in the 2006 Openweight Grand Prix back when he was still at LHW and the last time Fedor fought Nog was in 2004. So both of those fights are practically irrelevant to the current state of the division.

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
MMA Weekly said:
HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (over 205 pounds)

2. Fabricio Werdum
3. Fedor Emelianenko
4. Shane Carwin
5. Cain Velasquez
6. Junior Dos Santos
7. Alistair Overeem
8. Frank Mir
10. Brett Rogers
I don't agree with Brock being number one, although Brock is my favorite HW. Fedor should still be number one. Werdum shouldn't be anywhere near the top, regardless of his recent victory, and Brett Rogers shouldn't be in the top 10.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Ha. Werdum should not be where he is. Yeah he beat Fedor but I give Fedor winning that fight 9 times out of ten. That and I think that since JDS has a win over him so recently that you have to have JDS above him.

The rankings are actually really easy to do and I do not know why people are asking how it is done. it is based off of previous opponents and how dominant you beat them. I have Brock beating everyone except Carwin, Carwin beating everyone except Cain and Fedor. Fedor losing to Cain and Lesnar. JDS losing to all of them(sorry JDS fans, just my opinion.) and Cain beating everyone except Lesnar.

Though now that I am on this I can not wait until Cain/Carwin happens. I was so upset that fight did not take place. That fight will be a war.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
the hw div is so hard to rank minus fedor, that every ranking is gonna seem wrong to at least several people. to me, Brock is not number one yet-hes been inactive and got a fast track to a title shot. Werdum went to decision against big foot and then beat fedor and is now number 2? something feels wrong there. But then again HW is so thin outside of the guys off the top of your head you think of that its hard to have a vastly different ranking. (how is brett still top ten?)

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
I suppose we need to cut them some slack. I mean, they have top 10 rankings for all weight divisions. They have to have one for HW's as well... and to be honest, its difficult to make a list of the 10 best HW's without it looking silly. If anybody can, I'd like to see it!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
the hw div is so hard to rank minus fedor, that every ranking is gonna seem wrong to at least several people. to me, Brock is not number one yet-hes been inactive and got a fast track to a title shot. Werdum went to decision against big foot and then beat fedor and is now number 2? something feels wrong there. But then again HW is so thin outside of the guys off the top of your head you think of that its hard to have a vastly different ranking. (how is brett still top ten?)
Think it would be funny if right before the JDS/Nelson fight Big Country takes Rogers place. You could make a case for it and they always put fighters higher than they should be right before fights with top five/ten guys.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So does Brock take Fedor's place in the P4P now? Because if not you have to rank Fedor at #1 HW or else it wouldn't make any sense.
I think that's dubious considering Brock weighs over 265 and Fedor weighs 230 and has an old man gut. The fact that Fedor has the build of a LHW and still competes with guys much bigger than him is why I always rank him higher in the P4P ratings.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
EAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (over 205 pounds)

2. Fabricio Werdum
3. Fedor Emelianenko
4. Shane Carwin
5. Cain Velasquez
6. Junior Dos Santos
7. Alistair Overeem
8. Frank Mir
10. Brett Rogers
I don't know guys.. but I think thats by far the best list out there atm. :thumbsup:

I can agree with the entire list until Brett Rogers. He should not be in there obv. We could replace him with Antonio Silva for example. :dunno:

But anything else looks just fine for me!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know guys.. but I think thats by far the best list out there atm. :thumbsup:

I can agree with the entire list until Brett Rogers. He should not be in there obv. We could replace him with Antonio Silva for example. :dunno:
I agree with that for sure. Brett's "big win" to catapult him to top 10 status was KO over AA and he's dropped both his fights since.

WELL LOOK WHO JUST BEAT AA. :thumb02:
Silva has also beat some people who we've all heard of at least like Justin Eilers and Ricco Rodriguez. Unlike Rogers, who else did he beat, James Thompson?

He would probably lose to Duffee, Crocop, Kongo, Gonzaga, Barry and Nelson as well. MMA Weekly needs to get off that hype train. It's sad.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Ha. Werdum should not be where he is. Yeah he beat Fedor but I give Fedor winning that fight 9 times out of ten. That and I think that since JDS has a win over him so recently that you have to have JDS above him.

The rankings are actually really easy to do and I do not know why people are asking how it is done. it is based off of previous opponents and how dominant you beat them. I have Brock beating everyone except Carwin, Carwin beating everyone except Cain and Fedor. Fedor losing to Cain and Lesnar. JDS losing to all of them(sorry JDS fans, just my opinion.) and Cain beating everyone except Lesnar.

Though now that I am on this I can not wait until Cain/Carwin happens. I was so upset that fight did not take place. That fight will be a war.
I couldn't agree more... It's going to be awfully funny when Cain starts crying because he doesn't know what to do because he can't lay on Brock or Carwin like he did Kongo.

I seriously wanted to smash my head against my coffee table because of Kongo's complete lack of ground game and the fact that Cain was completely content with just laying on him.

That's not top tier competition... that's just horrible.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts