Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you get sick of hearing in the world of MMA?

For me it's two things, one comes mostly from fans, and forum trolls... "Nuthugging" or "Nuthugger".. this is hands down the most overused and ignorant put down I've ever heard on the internet.

Secondly, the whole... "Which version of "fighter X" shows up". Used a lot by fans and announcers alike. Most common fighters I can think of are BJ, Shogun, and Cro Cop. This is such BS, they are fighters and come to fight... there is no split personality or determining factor involved. This comment is retarded and cheapens the win of the opposing fighter, assuming they get the W.

Thoughts?

·
It's Hammer Time!
9,589 Posts
'Elusive' to describe Lyoto Machida. Yes I get it, he's hard to hit, no need to tell me every time he dodges an attack.

'Underrated groundgame' for people who have never submitted anybody and don't usually like to fight on the ground, i.e. "Chuck Liddell has a very underrated groundgame!".

I am also sick of hearing that leg kicks and jabs are the key to winning for fighter XY. It may be the truth but it's redundant after a while. Poor announcers... I bet they annoy themselves as much as me when they use these phrases.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Respite..... I don't know if they use it much in the UFC but I remember everytime they had to stop because of a nut shot or an eyepoke in Pride, the commentators would say "He's taking a respite" or "They're giving him a respite for etcetc".

Just say rest, it's fine. We get it, words is teh fun, but enough.

·
Registered
301 Posts
"biggest fight of his career" by announcers

and the F word in this season of the ultimate fighter. I don't understand the English language you guys really need a couple of new pejorative words.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a damn shame, but I sometimes has to refer to MMA as UFC otherwise people won't know what I am tal king about. It's malarchy. :(
True, and sad story... these tend to be the same people who get bored when the fighter "hug" against the cage.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
Hit the nail on the head with the nuthugger thing. Never heard that absurd word before coming to this forum, but it's used in every frackin conversation here. Also, fighters saying "i'm in the best shape of my life" or "i've trained the hardest i ever have for this fight" for every damn fight. Rogan whenever he starts dropping his excited cliches in high-pitched girl voice ... like "he caught him!" or "he's rocked!".

·
Registered
55 Posts
im not sure what it is about his voice, but when bruce buffer sais "ANNND NOWWWWW" in that deep tone, it sounds like a perverted dungeon master whose about to torture you, but announces it first.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Hahah, really? I think you guys are taking this a little too seriously. I personally find it humorous when most of the things listed happen. Especially Bruce Buffer, and Goldie's antics. They've come to be some of the things my friends and I look forward to when watching a PPV. "Imposing his will" is more like a pun to us.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Pound for pound for sure. I don't remember this phrase being used that much a couple years ago. But now its like you can't talk about some fighters without using that phrase in a sentence. Especially annoying is the way the UFC can only say Anderson Silva followed by 'the best pound for pound fighter in the world."

If your'e going to talk about pound for pound actually do it with some system. Talk about how heavy these fighters are versus how skilled they are, analyze and use metrics or whatever. If its some vague notion of quality you have just keep it to yourself.

I'd also like to add that p 4 p concept is bullshit anyway. Lighter fighters can afford to be faster precisely because their size. If they were equated to heavier fighters in size they'd lose their speed. Heavier fighters considered lighter would lose their leverage and power, but would gain some speed and mobility. Size is an integral part of who the fighter is, you can't just change it and assume every things else remains the same. I think it would be more fruitful to talk about the best fighter period.

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
"A solid fighter"
"Who is tough as"
"With very underrated [skill]"
"is really solid"

·
Registered
375 Posts
When ever a fighter loses and says "I just got caught" I find that so arrogant. You're dismissing the other guys victory almost as if it was your own fault, and he won through luck. I find it classless.

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
When ever a fighter loses and says "I just got caught" I find that so arrogant. You're dismissing the other guys victory almost as if it was your own fault, and he won through luck. I find it classless.
The worst is when they say "All credit to [fighter], but I got caught'

No, that isn't "all credit" to that fighter, that is you taking credit away from that fighter by dismissing his win as some rare, bizzaro-world occurance.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts