Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Which is the most overused phrase in the UFC?

• "Hi'gen everybody" (Goldy)

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • "OOOOHHHHH!!" (Rogan)

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • "xxxxx is a ******* tough kid" (Dana)

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • "AAAND HERE WEEE GO!" (Goldy)

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • "Impose his will" (Everybody)

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • "AAAND IT IS AAAALLLL OVER!" (Goldy)

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 24 21.4%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a bit of fun as an intermission to all the testosterone being thrown around on here since Saturdays epic card.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For me it's any form of "He's imposing his will on his opponent". I swear I hear it every fight, if not every other fight. There has to be a million different ways to say something similar. Goldie, Rogan and any other MMA commentators need to break out a thesaurus.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
'Impose his will', I swear I thought they were sponsored by that saying for a while.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
What about;

"Are you kidding me Joe?!!!!!" - Goldberg.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Rogan and Goldie need to fill the broadcast without leaving many gaps in the conversation, and 80% of what Goldie says during the broadcast comes through his headset or from a prompter. So I think they are doing their job perfectly at this point. We aren't going to find anybody else to do the job better or less annoying, I guarantee it.

However, MMA fighters are the most guilty when it comes to catchphrases, you don't have enough of a subculture to be saying that with no chuckles quite yet fellas!

:

"I'm going to come hard at him, and he's going to come hard at me, hopefully, I'm going to force him to stand and bang with me, if he can handle it, we're in for 15 minutes of war. I'm going to keep going until the ref pulls me off"

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Rogan and Goldie need to fill the broadcast without leaving many gaps in the conversation, and 80% of what Goldie says during the broadcast comes through his headset or from a prompter. So I think they are doing their job perfectly at this point. We aren't going to find anybody else to do the job better or less annoying, I guarantee it.

However, MMA fighters are the most guilty when it comes to catchphrases, you don't have enough of a subculture to be saying that with no chuckles quite yet fellas!

Here are a few pieces of what I find the most overused attitude in MMA

"I'm going to come hard at him, and he's going to come hard at me, hopefully, I'm going to force him to stand and bang with me, if he can handle it, we're in for 15 minutes of war."
So true about the "its going to be a war" quote.

Is that true about the commentators listening to promoters and messages through their headsets? I didnt know that. I always wondered how Goldberg would randomly shout out odd facts about the fighters. Their job is so easy!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is that true about the commentators listening to promoters and messages through their headsets? I didnt know that. I always wondered how Goldberg would randomly shout out odd facts about the fighters. Their job is so easy!
Yeah it's the same as Pro Wrestling where you've got guys in the "Gorilla" (WWE term) position who are prepping everything that the announcers say.

In Pro Wrestling there have been very few announcers who could go without a prompt or a headset (Joey Styles is the only one I can think of, tbh) so I imagine it will be a while before we get someone near that level in MMA.

So for right now, get ready to hear some catchphrases and repeated slogans.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Yeah it's the same as Pro Wrestling where you've got guys in the "Gorilla" (WWE term) position who are prepping everything that the announcers say.

In Pro Wrestling there have been very few announcers who could go without a prompt or a headset (Joey Styles is the only one I can think of, tbh) so I imagine it will be a while before we get someone near that level in MMA.

So for right now, get ready to hear some catchphrases and repeated slogans.
lol wow, i was completely unaware. You learn some thing new every day. Their job does actually sound really easy. Id love to commentate for UFC, would be a dream job.

·
Dr. Krav...nose, throat, and groin.
530 Posts
"XYZ is trying to finish!" No, really? I thought he was trying to prolong it as much as possible.

·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol wow, i was completely unaware. You learn some thing new every day. Their job does actually sound really easy. Id love to commentate for UFC, would be a dream job.
Commentating on a fight is really hard! Try watching a fight and commentating. You'll find that you really cant think of much to say! Its not as easy as it may seem!

What about;

"Are you kidding me Joe?!!!!!" - Goldberg.
Hah! thats a good one! Goldy says that all the time!

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Commentating on a fight is really hard! Try watching a fight and commentating. You'll find that you really cant think of much to say! Its not as easy as it may seem!

Hah! thats a good one! Goldy says that all the time!
lol i actually tend to do my own little commentaries on fights whilst im watching, i think i would do quite good!

·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol i actually tend to do my own little commentaries on fights whilst im watching, i think i would do quite good!
Rogans job is a damn site easier than Goldy's job. All Rogan does is talk like he's a fan, which i'm sure most of us can do. Goldy on the other hand has to chat shit like he's auditioning for a spot on Loose Women!

florian loves to say "right off the bat"
Hah! I havent noticed this, but i'm sure now you've mentioned it i'll catch it every time!

·
Registered
100 Posts
i can't even count how many fighters have "some of the best conditioning in the ufc."

their fitness level is so "unparalleled" that twenty people have it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
anything Mike Goldberg says..

He always says something like.. "blah blah blah, Joe."

And I can't stand when he advertises something how he uses the same cadence for everything, like how he says "inside the octagon." He always uses the same change in pitch and same rhythm. He's a fuckin' robot. Zuffa-bot Mike Goldberg.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Rogans job is a damn site easier than Goldy's job. All Rogan does is talk like he's a fan, which i'm sure most of us can do. Goldy on the other hand has to chat shit like he's auditioning for a spot on Loose Women!

Originally posted by Arkanoydz
Florian loves to say "right off the bat"

Hah! I havent noticed this, but i'm sure now you've mentioned it i'll catch it every time!
yeah, Rashad and Florian are the ones who love that phrase ("right off the bat").

Another word Rogan loves to use is "tremendous" (tremendous this, tremendous that...)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.