Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to convince my parents that I won't get hurt from muay thai because I won't spar and they're paranoid that if my braces break then its $4000 wasted. We went to the orthodonist and he said that he doesn't want me to do it because the braces might break if i get hit. I'm not sure if the gym allows contact when drilling techniques so I was planning to get a braces mouthguard from shockdoctor and try their 2 day free trial. My plan is that if it's too risky and there is a lot of contact, I will quit or i just won't spar but learn techniques and practice on their heavy bags.My orthodonist doesn't want to make one for me and the shockdoctor braces mouthguards are horrible so I'm not sure where to get one. I don't have much time i need an answer quick

·
The Chosen One
1,490 Posts
I tried to convince my parents that I won't get hurt from muay thai because I won't spar and they're paranoid that if my braces break then its $4000 wasted. We went to the orthodonist and he said that he doesn't want me to do it because the braces might break if i get hit. I'm not sure if the gym allows contact when drilling techniques so I was planning to get a braces mouthguard from shockdoctor and try their 2 day free trial. My plan is that if it's too risky and there is a lot of contact, I will quit or i just won't spar but learn techniques and practice on their heavy bags.My orthodonist doesn't want to make one for me and the shockdoctor braces mouthguards are horrible so I'm not sure where to get one. I don't have much time i need an answer quick
If you are just starting out, there is a good chance there will be minimal contact, beginner classes are all about the technique and proper form. Sparring with a partner for this purpose involves focus mitts, or pads. The short answer to your question is that if you're just starting out, you most likely will not be getting hit in the braces.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
How long will you need the braces for? and how long have you had them? I can see contact being so heavy that the braces will break, although there is always someone who hits harder than they should.
Get the ShockDoctor boil and bite so it covers your braces, and they do a double shield if you need the bottom row covered also.

I say go for it and drill technique, that way you're learning but there's no risk of your braces breaking.

Take into account, if the braces are on for a year, or more, then that is a lot of time to just be drilling technique and not advancing to sparring. Only so much technique you can learn in that time without being allowed to put it into practice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are just starting out, there is a good chance there will be minimal contact, beginner classes are all about the technique and proper form. Sparring with a partner for this purpose involves focus mitts, or pads. The short answer to your question is that if you're just starting out, you most likely will not be getting hit in the braces.

Not really true. I trained at a MMA gym where the instructor was kind of a douche and in fact encouraged you to get hit to toughen u up. We would make a circle and kick the shit out of each others bodies and he would makes us do pull ups on sharp rails and i said that it hurt my finger bones and he was like "THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!". I'm not sure if there are any douche instructors at this gym (hopefully not). I have trained boxing as well before.
How long will you need the braces for? and how long have you had them? I can see contact being so heavy that the braces will break, although there is always someone who hits harder than they should.
Get the ShockDoctor boil and bite so it covers your braces, and they do a double shield if you need the bottom row covered also.

I say go for it and drill technique, that way you're learning but there's no risk of your braces breaking.

Take into account, if the braces are on for a year, or more, then that is a lot of time to just be drilling technique and not advancing to sparring. Only so much technique you can learn in that time without being allowed to put it into practice.
I need braces for 2 more years. I had them for around 4 months. I thought boil and bite was not recommended for braces? I saw many bad reviews of shock doctors double braces mouthguard with people saying that it comes off too easily and it breaks too quickly. Idk what to do but I just wanna practice muay thai techniques on heavy bags and mitts and work on my conditioning. better than just lifting weights for 50 minutes 3x a week with no MMA training

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Thinking about it, I think any form of Boxing or Muay Thai would be risky as of course, braces creates a lot of tension between you teeth to realign them. Any form of impact could be undoing the good work your braces are doing of keeping your teeth in the right place.

BJJ should be fine, but you don't want direct impact straight on your teeth. Mouthguards for braces are available (Google) but even then...it's a risky move.

My personal opinion of course.

·
The Chosen One
1,490 Posts
Thinking about it, I think any form of Boxing or Muay Thai would be risky as of course, braces creates a lot of tension between you teeth to realign them. Any form of impact could be undoing the good work your braces are doing of keeping your teeth in the right place.

BJJ should be fine, but you don't want direct impact straight on your teeth. Mouthguards for braces are available (Google) but even then...it's a risky move.

My personal opinion of course.
I completely forgot what braces actually do when I gave my opinion, wow. I think Liza is correct here, with all that tension it really isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i've seen lots of amateur boxers with braces but it's not like I'm even gonna spar (touch sparring at the most). And besides i've been kneed and slammed when i wrestled/ did BJJ so that's more riskier than drilling muay thai techniques. no?

·
....Omar Comin'
4,797 Posts
Shockdoctor mouth guard has a 10k warranty if it doesn't work properly, that covers the cost of your braces on the very minimal chance that anything happens.

You won't even get hit in the face for quite a while after beginning anyway though. Go for it dude.

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
don't do it, unless you have mayweatheer defense which i'm gonna assume you don't your gonna get hit and get hit hard especially around a 2 year period where people won't even attempt to take it easy on you after a month, you
ll be lucky with a month of leniency first week I got there I sparred with my coach who is a former muay thai world champ and still fighting a russian guy with a 8 pack, needless to say it was baptism of fire

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
lol thats cool, I just thought if the brace broke, that metal bar running across all the teeth loses its tension....and that tension would send it into the lining of his gums and rip it up somethin' fierce.

potentially. if it did break the damage to the teeth would require even more corrective work by the orthodontist.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This probably isn't constructive information, but a few years back a friend of mine got an awful beating off 3 dudes. Orthodontist told him afterward that his braces actually saved his teeth from bein kicked in :happy01:

·
....Omar Comin'
4,797 Posts
lol thats cool, I just thought if the brace broke, that metal bar running across all the teeth loses its tension....and that tension would send it into the lining of his gums and rip it up somethin' fierce.

potentially. if it did break the damage to the teeth would require even more corrective work by the orthodontist.
The 10k insurance thing is the best though. A little secret tip for you guys, if you ever get your teeth knocked out in ANY situation, go and buy a Shockdoctor Mouthguard and then just lie and say you were wearing it when it happened and you will get your treatment paid for ;)

Beardsley, his lip would have been torn to pieces too I bet.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
The 10k insurance thing is the best though. A little secret tip for you guys, if you ever get your teeth knocked out in ANY situation, go and buy a Shockdoctor Mouthguard and then just lie and say you were wearing it when it happened and you will get your treatment paid for ;)
It isn't that easy. First of all, as far as I know, the warranty is only valid in the US. Then, you won't just get 10k, but only something like $300-400 per lost tooth with a maximum of $10k for which you would have to lose almost all of your teeth. So as it's per tooth, you won't get anything for damaged braces. And as for your tip, you would have to have had that mouthpiece before the accident happened, because you have to send in the mouthpiece with your demand to Shockdoctor. If you buy the mouthpiece afterwards, the impression you do in it during the boil and bite process would show that you actually lost that tooth before and not after buying the mouthpiece.

After all, I wouldn't recommend Shockdoctor mouthpieces anymore anyways. They had good boil 'n bite mouthpieces once, but a couple of years ago they somehow changed the molding material and now it's too soft, so the fitted mouthpiece doesn't stick on your teeth anymore. For heavy contact sports I would recommend a good custom made mouthpiece. They a a bit more expensive, but it's really worth it as your teeth, in contrast to a broken bone, won't regenerate. My three layer custom made mouthpiece has cost abouut $200 and it's really a big difference to any boil 'n bite that I've had before (and I've had many).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well should i just buy a mouth guard and do the 2 day free trial to see how the instructors run the class? If we do little to no contact while practicing techniques will that be ok?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts