Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

My Stamina

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  The Don 
#1 ·
you already know what im going to say but ill say it anyway.

i run out of energy way to quick, i should be able to go longer on the mat but i just tire out way to easy. At my house i have standard weights, light dumbells (for high reps) and the gazelle.

That machine is really cool because it works your legs and arms at the same time and its adjustable, lvl 1 is like running ont he street, lvl 2 is like going up hill, lvl 3 is building muscle and so on.

What im wondering is that given what i have to work with at home (i can go to my martial arts class but i want to try to find a regimen for home too)

Given what i said i have to work with what type of workout should i do that focuses on cardio/stamina....ill worry about strength training once i can last longer then 1, 5 min round at a time.

thanks in advanced.

#2 ·
Steve-d said:
you already know what im going to say but ill say it anyway.

i run out of energy way to quick, i should be able to go longer on the mat but i just tire out way to easy. At my house i have standard weights, light dumbells (for high reps) and the gazelle.

That machine is really cool because it works your legs and arms at the same time and its adjustable, lvl 1 is like running ont he street, lvl 2 is like going up hill, lvl 3 is building muscle and so on.

What im wondering is that given what i have to work with at home (i can go to my martial arts class but i want to try to find a regimen for home too)

Given what i said i have to work with what type of workout should i do that focuses on cardio/stamina....ill worry about strength training once i can last longer then 1, 5 min round at a time.

thanks in advanced.
regardless of what Tony little says the Gazelle is not all that great.. since it is a swining motion it might be easy on the knees but not the hips.. My parents had one.. I was highly unimpressed.. the best low knee impact macinge I have ever used is the ellipitical trainers at the gym.. I am sure there are home versions just never looks.. ts a nice smooth motion better for the hips and knees.. s for stamina.. I hate doing it.. but 2 ways I know... 1 .. Run.. I hate running.. my knees.. and two.. which Is what I perfer.. get a good practice partner a mat and roll.. When your winnded take a quick 5 and go right back at it.. keep going.. when you absolutely can't go on... go 5 minutes longer.. focus on your breathing for awhile as well evenif your technique suffers a bit.. it will even out in time.. once oyu no longer need to focus on your breathing.. set a timer... like 15 minutes and start grappling.. one one taps.. get up and go right back at it.. no break.. keep doing this over and over.. when you are absolutely winded take a few deep breaths until you just able to go againand go.. no long rests until the 15 minutes is up. If 15 minutes is well outside your reach start with a lower time. if your partner can't hang get two.. Two roll... soon as one taps the next jumps in... and you keep doing that though set a much higher time limit since your breaks will be a bit longer in some cases real short in others depending on skill level.. plus this will help with concentration and focus and give you more then just one peson style to contend with and since things are constatly switching you have to pay better attentionthis can be worked with any number of odd people.. for instance 5.. 2 pairs grapple and the person sitting jumps in for the first person to be tapped.. it gives you a wider range of people to workwith and since your not sure if your jumping into group A or B everybody needs to focus tokeep things going smoothly.. plus it is alot of fun.. hope this helps.. that or you can just run alot.. I am not a fan of running.. so I like the 2nd option alot better and I gave you some varations not sure how many people you canget but canbe done well with just one partner...

#3 ·
lol awsome you herd of the gazelle, HAHA

couple things, 1 i hate tony little, 2 its my girlffriends machine but when i started traing i found it a bit usefull.

Yeah the first person who started teaching me MMA lived by rolling was the best workout, and to a point it is since your working on exactly what you will be doing in a match.

My only problem is a decent sized mat, i have found them to be expensive, what i found that i will buy is the aquare interlocking mat peices for $32 a peice and i need 6-8 of them, so thats a bit pricy.

That why i wanted some ideas with equipment i had, notice i didint like a mat as equipment i had, i plan on getting it next and a.s.a.p but asap might not be that soon.

Thank for your help and idea's

#4 ·
Steve-d said:
lol awsome you herd of the gazelle, HAHA

couple things, 1 i hate tony little, 2 its my girlffriends machine but when i started traing i found it a bit usefull.

Yeah the first person who started teaching me MMA lived by rolling was the best workout, and to a point it is since your working on exactly what you will be doing in a match.

My only problem is a decent sized mat, i have found them to be expensive, what i found that i will buy is the aquare interlocking mat peices for $32 a peice and i need 6-8 of them, so thats a bit pricy.

That why i wanted some ideas with equipment i had, notice i didint like a mat as equipment i had, i plan on getting it next and a.s.a.p but asap might not be that soon.

Thank for your help and idea's
well until you can affoard your own.. and I suggest shopping around.. might be able to find a used one from a MA school or something cheaper.. go to the local why see if they have wretling mats or practice in the grass.. I know its not a mat.. but it is hard then any MMA surface you'll be on... just make sure you both avoid hard slams and this way whaen your on a mat you'll be that much more comfortable.. Most of my MA training has been on hardwood floor or the grass.. we tried the beach once thinking.. Sand .. soft.. well yea it was.. but man.. landing face first in sand sucks.. also shop the internet might be able to find some good deals as well... if I knew where you lived I might be able to point you in the right direction...

#6 ·
Steve-d said:
is 5x10 big enough?

i found this that im interested in

http://www.zebramats.com/fold.html
look a little expensive but good quality.. I have a few links somewhere I'll see if I can find some.. though I do suggest maybe buying sued from a school going out of buisness or they may just have some old ones if the school recently upgraded or something..

#9 ·
I would definitely agree with The Don on this one... Running and Rolling are great ways to build your wind. I would also include swimming and dancing. Yes, dancing. Swimming would greatly teach your body how to utilize the available oxygen, as (if you're doing it right) you won't be constantly breathing or sucking wind with every stroke. Dancing is more of a "covert" workout, as it is very demanding, but since most don't treat it as exercise (a leisurely act rather) you end up working out a lot without thinking about it.

On the subject of mats, 8' X 8' should be the smallest minimum size you'll be look for to work on. From their, you're probably looking at $400 starting for anything that size. I believe there are a few deal going on ebay for 10' X 10' sections for around that much (granted you're going to end up paying at least $60 on shipping on top of that), but that's really not too bad of a deal.

#10 ·
Onganju said:
I would definitely agree with The Don on this one... Running and Rolling are great ways to build your wind. I would also include swimming and dancing. Yes, dancing. Swimming would greatly teach your body how to utilize the available oxygen, as (if you're doing it right) you won't be constantly breathing or sucking wind with every stroke. Dancing is more of a "covert" workout, as it is very demanding, but since most don't treat it as exercise (a leisurely act rather) you end up working out a lot without thinking about it.

On the subject of mats, 8' X 8' should be the smallest minimum size you'll be look for to work on. From their, you're probably looking at $400 starting for anything that size. I believe there are a few deal going on ebay for 10' X 10' sections for around that much (granted you're going to end up paying at least $60 on shipping on top of that), but that's really not too bad of a deal.
dancing is a good workout plus it helps with rythm and coordination....

rolling and sparring is a great way to improve ur stamina....

also before rolling do exercises for muscular endurance and roll when ur tired...it will help with the mental toughness required in fighting....remember the mind is the first thing that tires...

#11 ·
Deadly Poet said:
dancing is a good workout plus it helps with rythm and coordination....

rolling and sparring is a great way to improve ur stamina....

also before rolling do exercises for muscular endurance and roll when ur tired...it will help with the mental toughness required in fighting....remember the mind is the first thing that tires...
that is some good advice.. should train like that at least once a week. but be seriously physicaly tired before you start rolling.. and do not shorten your rolling session it should be just as long as the previous one.. I suggest doing this the day before an off day of training where your not doing anything you'll need the day to recover if you did it all right the day before

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.