Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick look at my favourite up and coming fighters in each division

265> Cain Velasquez, So looking forward to seeing this guy take on Nogueira at 110, will be his biggest test to date and if he comes out of this fight the winner, with Brock been out for so long surly he deserves a shot at the winner of the Carwin vs Mir fight for a shot at the interim belt.

205> Jon Jones, love to watch this guy fight good all rounder with a very entertaining fast, aggressive and unique style, I think of this guy now like I thought of Machida 2 years ago. I would love to see this kid make take on next someone really dangerous coming of a big loss like Luiz Cane or Keith Jardine to really give him a chance to move up fast in this division, maybe a few fights off a title shot but I think he could go far in the coming years.

185> Michael Bisping, not a great division at this present moment in time, easy to see why Anderson Silva has been fighting at 205, but its about time he put his title on the line soon, If Bisping can beat W.Silva in his next fight then I think you would have to make him the number one contender for a shot at the title.

170> Paulo Thiago, I have a lot of respect for this guys attitude inside the octagon, he looks like a guy who fights with a lot of heart and makes himself tough to beat, I would like to see him quietly climb the ranks with a couple of big wins in 2010 to be in contention for a title shot in 2011

155> Ross Pearson, I think even now he is one of the best fighters at 155 he just needs the fights to prove it, maybe will not happen for another couple of years for this guy but I think he will one day hold the light weight belt, I would love to see him fight Kenny Florian sometime this year just because that would be one great fight, sure it would only be card filler but it would be better than most main events.

·
Registered
232 Posts
How is Bisping gonna beat Marquardt?
How is Jones gonna beat shogun, little nog, page, evans, etc etc etc

Fitch already beat Thiago, and Swick is going to beat him, along with Kos when they finally rematch.

Cain, yeah right.

Pearson? Wow.

0/5

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are all fighters that I think will improve over the next year, so just because they are not in title consideration now don't mean shit, because this is my prediction of who will be a future title contender not who is currently a top title contender.

Only time can prove me write or wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I'm sure I'll get laughed at but Terry Etim could become a top contender somwhere down the line. He's 23, he's outstruck Sam Stout, has submissions and his height and reach will cause problems for most.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I doubt Jones could even beat Ortiz in a decent fight, and Ortiz's career is falling and quickly.

I disagree with all of them.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Lets see...
-I can see Cain beating Nog and then deserving his shot, infact Im betting on Cain on that fight.
-Hard to say with Jones yet. He is in the most stacked up division surrounded by way more versatile fighters than he is. Could list atleast 5 guys that should run trough him, but yeah he does have some potential.
-Only way Bisping gets a shot is if he somehow beats Wandy + 1 more big name and Dana feels like setting up a massive show at UK with Bisping fighting for the belt. I doubt he'll ever get into a position where he "deserves" the shot, but I can see him getting one eventually but first he has to wake up and clock another win streak after getting knocked out by Wandy.
-Thiago... possible but unlikely. Like with Jones at 205 there is too many bigger, stronger and more versatile guys at WW for Thiago to beat. Only way he could get the shot is if he didn't fight any of the top dogs at all while he builds his streak vs. cans and couple big names like Hardy did. The fact that GSP has beaten about every big name in disivision will help Thiago's case alot.
-Ross is kinda a longshot. Now that Gomi is in ufc there is atleast 5 names that would walk over Pearson right now. Hell... there is atleast 5 more guys on top of those 5 that would be huge favourites against him. He is an entertaining fighter and all, but it is WAY too early to say that he'll hold the LW belt even in next 5 years.

Reactions: Ruckus

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
Bones Jones Yes- goes without saying really.

Pearson yes...... in due time, he does not have any fights of top notch international calibre yet, but he will. He will be tried and tested and like all great fighters he will falter once or twice but I can see him being a prominent force in th future. But not this year- at least the 1st half.

Cain will be derailed by JDS amd Carwin and fighters of those calibre.

Bisping, one of my favourite fighters, will never be champ or even no1 contender.

And Thiago had his chance, I think Daley would have him, Would be a bloody KO battle but I think Daley has it, in my opinion if Daley could get decent TDD or at;east a ground game he would be massive in the WW division.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Cain is a long shot at HW.
Jones will be champion after he improves is overall game.
Bisping is only a top contender because of hype.
Thiago landed one lucky punch, lost, then barely beat a nobody.
I'm not even gonna get into how saying Pearson is gonna be a champ is probably the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. The only way Pearson is ever a top guy is after Penn, Sanchez, Florian, Alves, Tavares and hordes of other lightweights retire.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I'm amped to see the following fighters scheduled on cards in the near future... Not really contenders (yet) until we see how they fair, but want to see what they have to offer:

155 -> Ronnys Torres
170 -> Rory MacDonald
185 -> Goran Reljic
205 -> Phil Davis

Curious to see how Johnny Hendricks, Alexander Gustafsson and Todd Duffee fair as well...

·
Registered
64 Posts
HW - I don't think anyone can beat a healthy Brock, but for the time being I believe Carwin will be the top guy around.

LHW - Have to side with the rest of you, Jones is an animal and clearly a bright prospect... if he can fight with his head and not instinct (12-6 elbows..naughty naughty mr Jones).

MW - Bisping? no. If Silva was to make a perm move to LHW then Nate the great would be my favourite to take the MW throne.

WW - GSP is simply the king of the division, no question. However if he was to vacate the title, I could see Daley becoming top man. Unaware to most people, his ground game is no joke.

LHW - I was incredibly impressed with Tyson Griffins last outing. If he can continue to mix up his strikes and perform as technically as he did previously, then I could definately see him going to the top. Dare I say, even defeating the Prodigy!

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
I'm going to assume you were drunk or high on drugs when you made this list so I'm not going to hold it against you. Once you sober up, I recommend you edit your picks and maybe even apologize to those who read it.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I dont think the Ross Pearson pick is actually that crazy. The dude got drastically better between his time on TUF and his first real fight in the UFC, I think he will start to make some real noise in the division a year from now if he continues to improve. I think Bisping getting eaten alive by Hendo put the stigma of fighters from the U.K. not being as talented back into a lot of peoples minds, so they dont give guys like Hardy, Pearson, or Winner very much credit. Hardy has already shown that he is very good, I think it is only a matter of time before Pearson and Winner start to do the same.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
I hate to agree with everyone but Bisbing..... SUCKS..... ONLY reason he is anything is because he is from the F'ing UK... If he wasn't he would of lost against Matt Hamill a long time ago, where he CLEARLY LOST, and we all saw how Jon Jones F'ed Hamill bad.... Bisbing has no future other then being and OK fighter and being from the UK that ALL HE HAS... Kinda like Dan Hardy, the fact that he is UK is the ONLY reason he will be ANYTHING..... Sad... And i wont even get started with Paulo Thaigo.... His stand up sucked soooooo bad against Kos the first fight then pulls out a punch from his arse and gets lucky after looking like a stiff for the whole fight... Then gets smashed by Fitch... He NEVER impressed me... I never saw him and thought oooo he should fight this guy... He will always be a no body

1 - 20 of 39 Posts