1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nate Marquardt vs Rousimar Palhares possible for upcoming UFC event in August

by Derek Bolender on May 4, 2010 9:35 PM EDT

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/5/4/1458360/nate-marquardt-vs-rousimar

Top ranked middleweight contender Nate Marquardt (29-9-2) could be facing a very stiff test this summer as he is currently in talks to face muscular submission master Rousimar Palhares (11-2) at either UFC 117 on Aug. 7 in Oakland or UFC 118 on Aug. 28 in Boston.

A source close to one of the fight camps alerted MMAmania.com to the potential match-up earlier today.

Marquardt was recently booked to take on the surging Alessio Sakara at UFC 116 on July 3; however, "Legionarius" was forced to withdraw earlier this week because of the death of his father.

"The Great" is coming off a fairly one-sided beat down at the hands of now number one middleweight contender Chael Sonnen at UFC 109. Many people pegged the fight as an easy win for Marquardt, but Mr. Sonnen showed us all yet again what good 'ole American wrestling can do for you in this sport.

Prior to the Sonnen defeat, Nate had won three consecutive fights inside the Octagon, including a 21-second dismantling of Demian Maia at UFC 102. That win propelled Marquardt back to the top of the division, but another title shot was just not meant to be at the moment.

Star-divide

Palhares is coming off a controversial submission win over Tomasz Drwal at UFC 111 back on March 27, failing to break the heel hook submission he applied in the first round in a timely fashion. The "Gorilla" tapped to no avail and referee Kevin Mulhall had to physically intervene upon calling the fight.

"Toquinho" later apologized for the hiccup, insisting there was no harm intended, but the NJSACB wasn't impressed with his post-fight apology and slapped him with a 90-day suspension.

He'll now look to redeem himself against perhaps his stiffest test to date (sans Dan Henderson) later this summer.

Stay tuned to MMAmania.com for more on this showdown as it becomes available.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I like fights like this... Nate could take the safe approach and beat him like Hendo, but no, he'll push forward in the guard and either TKO Harris or get his forearm snapped. Jitz is fun and Nate is a ******* warrior.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Did the UFC hire a new match maker or something? Some of the recent match ups have been poor in my opinon. I'll still watch this but it seems tailor made for Marquardt and an easy win.

·
Banned
689 Posts
Did the UFC hire a new match maker or something? Some of the recent match ups have been poor in my opinon. I'll still watch this but it seems tailor made for Marquardt and an easy win.
not even close to being a "easy" win for marquardt, paul harris is a beast and won't have too much trouble taking nate down

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
This is a much better fight than Sakara. Palhares is very dangerous if this hits the mat, but Nate is no newbie when it comes to BJJ. He's fought Dean Lister, Demian Maia, Thales Leites and Jeremy Horn and none of those guys were able to sub him. Last time he was subbed in MMA was 2003 by Almeida who is a jitz whiz. I see Nate winning this with dominant stand up. If it hits the ground he will land some GNP and then stand back up when it's safe.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Now all I need is the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders to kick open my door for a surprise gang bang and this will be the best day of my life. Fantastic match up much more gooder than Sakara v. Marquardt. Paul Harris was welcomed to the UFC with Hendo and had an excellent fight. Paul Harris is on that level, not the one below Hendo and he deserves Marquardt. I love Nate but I love Paul Harris more.

WAR LITTLE MARIO!

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
:sign04:

Paul Harris is a fuggin stud. They call him Tree Stump for a reason -- he's built like a tank. He showed a solid chin vs Hendo, and if this fight hits the mat, which based on Marquardt's recent display of, er lack of, TDD is quite possible; it could be game over. (And yeah, Palhares isn't a world class wrestler like Sonnen, but he is a pretty serious grappler.)

Will have to check, but I do expect Marquardt to have a significant reach advantage which could come into play though. 'Cos tree stumps don't have very long arms. I have a feeling he might be checking quite a few kicks from Nate...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Big fan of Sakara, feel for him, wish him the best and hope he gets back in the octagon soon.

On the other hand, this is a great fight in the making but what we'ver learned from Nate is that he's a jack of all trades, master of none. I like Palhares to win because he's one of the rare few that is bigger and stronger than Nate and once the fight inevitably hits the deck, Nate's outclassed. That's saying more about the incredible skills of Palhares however, more than it's a slight on Nate's ground game.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
:sign04:

Paul Harris is a fuggin stud. They call him Tree Stump for a reason -- he's built like a tank. He showed a solid chin vs Hendo, and if this fight hits the mat, which based on Marquardt's recent display of, er lack of, TDD is quite possible; it could be game over. (And yeah, Palhares isn't a world class wrestler like Sonnen, but he is a pretty serious grappler.)

Will have to check, but I do expect Marquardt to have a significant reach advantage which could come into play though. 'Cos tree stumps don't have very long arms. I have a feeling he might be checking quite a few kicks from Nate...
Standing, Paul Harris doesn't stand a chance and Nate is rarely taken down. People are making fun of his TDD because one of, if not THE, best wrestlers in the business took him down. I don't see Nate being taken down, making this a stand up fight until Harris is eventually TKO/KO'd.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I rate Palhares, he is one of the very very few MW's I am interested in following, this would be far from an easy fight for Nate, nobody has ever finished Palhares, he is one though opponent for anyone I think, Palhares would be a classic match up for Maia or Shield I think, I would sooner see him fight one of those 2 guys first simply because if he beat Nate he will surpass those 2 you would think in the race for a title shot.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Standing, Paul Harris doesn't stand a chance and Nate is rarely taken down. People are making fun of his TDD because one of, if not THE, best wrestlers in the business took him down. I don't see Nate being taken down, making this a stand up fight until Harris is eventually TKO/KO'd.
I see what you are saying, and surely if it is purely a striking affair, Marquardt has the advantage. I just think people underrate Paul Harris. His chin looked SOLID against Hendo, and he did manage to toss Hendo a few times.

Marquardt will be the fav in this fight no doubt. But Paul Harris is no pushover whatsoever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.