Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you think is most prominent is the UFC?

Liddell is actually a name from the part of England i'm from and i know a few people who share that name.

Couture sounds French, Davis (Marcus Davis) is actually an English name and Lesnar has got to be German or Russian

Discuss:

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I doubt it matters most North Americans have been had ancestors over here so long we are all mutts does it really matter what there name is. What nationality a name is means practically nothing as far as a persons heritage.

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt it matters most North Americans have been had ancestors over here so long we are all mutts does it really matter what there name is. What nationality a name is means practically nothing as far as a persons heritage.
Sure, people in Europe have migrated all over our continent aswell.. still this can be a fun topic though.

:thumb02:

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
cant make it invisible!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Lesner is actually a German name. Lesnar might be an archaic form of that name, I don't know.

But yeah, every American fighter (except for native American fighters if there are any) has an origin in Europe, Asia or Africa so we could pretty much name anyone. Schaub, Tuchscherer and Boetsch are all German names. Siver is actually a Russian name, but he's still German... yeah so much for that. :D

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Sure, people in Europe have migrated all over our continent aswell.. still this can be a fun topic though.

People in Europe have migrated but lets be honest if your living in Russia say there is a good chance the majority of your ancestry is Russian. You could live in Canada and have a french last name and be 10% French.

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
People in Europe have migrated but lets be honest if your living in Russia say there is a good chance the majority of your ancestry is Russian. You could live in Canada and have a french last name and be 10% French.
Ofcourse but it can like that anywhere, I'm furiously proud of being English but my ancestry is 0% English, obviously new world places like Australia and North America were based on migration so they're gonna have much more.. anyways, i thought it could be a fun topic?

Toxic, you mad cos you're a French Canadien ?

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Ofcourse but it can like that anywhere, I'm furiously proud of being English but my ancestry is 0% English, obviously new world places like Australia and North America were based on migration so they're gonna have much more.. anyways, i thought it could be a fun topic?

Toxic, you mad cos you're a French Canadien ?

I have a French last name but I am actually much more Irish than I am French and I don't speak much French. My wife is a French Canadian but she is actually half Mexican. Like I said everyone is a mutt.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
This kind of thing has never really been important to me.

Don't really know my origins, don't really care about it :p

One person I would love to know the origins of is allison stokke. Cause im moving there :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Lesner is actually a German name. Lesnar might be an archaic form of that name, I don't know.

But yeah, every American fighter (except for native American fighters if there are any) has an origin in Europe, Asia or Africa so we could pretty much name anyone. Schaub, Tuchscherer and Boetsch are all German names. Siver is actually a Russian name, but he's still German... yeah so much for that. :D
And even native americans are actually Siderians or something.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think he means everyone native to the Americas came over the land bridge between Alaska and Russia tens of thousands of year ago. The people who did so were likely Sino-Russian types like Siberians. Just look at Inuit or Eskimo people and you see great similarities between them and central asians, (like mongolians).

Anyways this has nothing to do with MMA.

Amybody know anything about Koscheck's name? Sounds sort of Russian.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I find this interesting too. It is fun to find out about ancestors and thus knowing more about the pieces of a great puzzle that made you.

As Toxic pointed out, your last name is not representative of your total heritage. However, it still holds some information.

Northern European
Brock Lesnar is from Minnesota or South/North Dakota, that combined with his look, makes it is pretty safe to assume he has good deal of Scandinavian and German ancestry.
Names that sound and look German:

Koscheck, Swick, Boetsch, Danzig, Bonnar, Ellenberger, Lentz (could be Danish aswell), Marquardt, Volkman, Wiman, Leben, Belcher.
(ryan) Jensen is a Danish name. (jon) Madsen is also Danish.

French names
The last name St Pierre is an unusual one. It means Saint- Peter in french. Not a commun name at all.
(Keith) Jardine and (Randy) Couture are surely French. Loiseau as well, meaning "the bird".

Italian names

Serra, Sylvia, Baroni. Maybe Mir but could be slavic imo aswell. Vera.

Britsh

Jones, Jackson, Evans, Howard. Slaves in the US were typically named after their slavemaster, who mostly had British ancestry.
Also: Rothwell, Riddle, Pyle, Penn, Hamill, Franklin, Carwin.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.