Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks like the place to ask so here goes. I have no formal training and have never fought in something like this before. I have been working out for about 7 months to try to lose weight ( I started at 320 lbs) I am currently 265 lbs 6'3" and I am tired of hearing from arm chair fighters on "what you should do" I am scheduled to fight in august and want to be prepared. I dont think Im some tough guy I just want to give it a shot, any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I dont have any formal training, other than the usual bar fights and wrestling with friends, the guy Im fighting is supposed to be a wrestler but from what Ive seen of him he isn't real impressive. I have recently started training with a boxing coach and Ive been focusing alot on conditioning. My opponent was gassed after about the first minute in his last fight. I know it sounds a bit crazy but its just something I have to do.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Souless said:
Oh ya Its a mma cage fight

Boxing is good just limited. I'd look into find a muay thai instructor and some for of ju-jitsu to compliment your wrestling, then you'll be much better prepared in the furutre espically if you want to make it big time, your skills might be good for the level your at but if that level of training is about standard for most of the competitors in that League or show whatever it is.. half the people on this forum if only half thier training is in truth what we really know would destroy the competition. so you might pick up quite alot here. pay attention to the training threads .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured there had to be some bs'n here and there and thats fine if thats what your looking for, but like I said Im not some "tough guy" lookin to kick everybodys "A" I just want to give it a shot and have the best chance at winning as possble . Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Souless said:
I figured there had to be some bs'n here and there and thats fine if thats what your looking for, but like I said Im not some "tough guy" lookin to kick everybodys "A" I just want to give it a shot and have the best chance at winning as possble . Thanks for your help.

No problem, basicly the more skills you add the better you will be and the longer your carear will be. The trick is learning what your weak spots are and finding a style that closes the gaps making you more well rounded. you already got a great wrestling back ground so you are comfortable on the mat but in most cases a person who is skilled in Jujitsu of anykind will own a wrestler so you add that skill and you now have both. for striking boxing is great but it gives you only two weapons your fists. Add muay Thai your now adding six other weapons elbows knees and feet plus you learn how to fight in a clinch which as a boxer you know how to get into but it is hard to really throw an effective punch in.

and I am not saying people are BS'ing for all I know everyone here has told the truth 100% but going by that even if only half of it is true there are some good fighters here or those that have the potential. some here i know for a fact are not bsing on there knowledge you can tell from reading thier posts. and as always were here to help withadvice or anything you need.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
I've been taking BJJ for about 6 years and I find that it's the best way to deal with wrestlers. Try that and some striking, especially the flying knee for when he rushes in for the takedown. That's my only suggestion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again, that at least gives me a place to start. I like the saying at the bottom of your posts, just looking at this in that perspective will help tremendously. I think the knee is a pretty crucial part if the fight game also, Ive seen it used with great success at all levels of this SPORT.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
IronMan said:
I figure you're talking about the "The child of a tiger is a tiger." quote. Right?
Either that or the one in Don's sig.

BTW--Do they even have Tiger's in Haiti?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would suggest working on your takedown defense and sprawls and continue the boxing with your coach. I don't think you'll get a whole lot out of BJJ in just a few months, especially if you're going to be learning standup also. Just keep him from being able to take you down so you can punish him standing up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was my goal (keep him stanging up), I figured that was my best chance. You know the more you think you know about fighting the worse off you are, The more I train with my coach, the more I realize how bad off I really was!! Im just trying to be a sponge right know. I was referring to the quote on The Dons post, I am trying to focus on the things I feel weakest in right know.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Souless said:
You know the more you think you know about fighting the worse off you are, The more I train with my coach, the more I realize how bad off I really was!!
Yeah, exactly. If you're trying to take in information from five sources you'll only be gaining a bit from each over time. But if you're concentrating only on one or two things you'll take in a lot more information from just those two things over the same amount of time. I think it's best to just concentrate on a few things until they become more natural, then you can start learning the other stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Guy

I am looking for some help and info. I am new to the Los Angeles area and I am looking for a MMA style training gym, it's been awhile since I have fought but I am looking to get back to it.....Can some one point me in the right direction,,THANKS..........
[email protected]

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
REX said:
I am looking for some help and info. I am new to the Los Angeles area and I am looking for a MMA style training gym, it's been awhile since I have fought but I am looking to get back to it.....Can some one point me in the right direction,,THANKS..........
[email protected]
I'm pretty sure that there's a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu school in Torrance. I don't know if that helps, but it's good for getting started.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.