Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Needing some help getting in the right direction

791 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Spike511 
#1 ·
Hello sirs,

I guess this is my first post, i'd put in the noob section but that appears to be more for learning how MMA works, and since this post isin't really entirely relevant to that; I figured I'd post here.

I'm 17, 6'3 1/2, and 265 (not fat, I have a bit of a gut, but that'll be gone soon...). I've played high school football (Left Offensive Tackle, Defensive Tackle)for the past three years, and I'm in the best shape of my life, however, I understand that I need to be about ten times better shape then I'm in right now to succeed in the octagon.

In a year, I will be venturing off to college, and with that, since I'll no longer have football (I have no aspirations of playing college ball) I figure it'd be a great time to start MMA. It's something I've wanted to do for awhile now.

Currently, I'm in the gym three days a week, where I'm concentrating heavily on upper-body (I'm trying to even myself out after years of neglect, I have some strong legs, maxxing at 460 something straight bar, 500+ hex deadlift). Saturdays and Sundays I ref paintball, which essentially consits of running up and down a mountain all day, so my legs get a fair amount of work.

Recently, I got in touch with a new kid that moved into the neighboorhood. As a kid, he participated in MMA. At first I was skeptical, till he went over to his heavy-bag and landed the most ferocious kick I've ever seen. The bag literally went parallel to the ground. Then he landed the most vicious combo of strikes and elbows on it, and I swore I thought he'd punch through the thing. He's amazing on the ground too.

After I learned he played football for the school, we agreed on him teaching me a thing or two and helping me drop at least 10 pounds by August (the start of our season). I'd like to drop 20, as my doctor said if I drop that I'll have absolutely zero fat on my body.

Here come my questions:

1. Is there any one thing we should concentrate on the most? A certain lift?

2. What suppliments do you gentlemen recommend? I've been on strictly Whey on and off over my career, but have recently been putting it in every single day. I relized how much faster I recover from football lifting with our Citadel Graduate coach much more quickly. Anything else I should be taking? What's your opinion on creatine? I've heard only adults should be taking it, but since I'm bigger than most adults, should I? What about Nitrous? Amino Acids?

3. I used to wrestle as a kid, so I know a thing or two on the ground. My strikes are okay in the power department, but how could I increase speed and accuracy?

4. As for kicks, mine are terrible. I'm not graceful at all in them, I loose my balance immediately, any ideas?

5. And, in general, any advice on where to go from here? I'd like to spend this year leading up to college getting the basics down and getting myself in top physical shape, then enrolling in a gym with a program during college next year.

I have the heart, and the dedication (instilled upon me through football), I just need some technique, conditioning, and be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for your time,
Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
Firstly, welcome to the forums!

I've never trained in MMA, so I can't really give you advice on MMA training. However, I will help answer a few of your weight training queries! :thumb02:

1. If, by lifts, you mean weightlifting then the power clean will be your best friend. It will help you utilise the explosive power in your muscles and will provide strength throughout your entire body, especially your posterior chain. Think of it as taking your opponent and lifting them off the ground with not so much as a broken sweat. However, I wouldn't suggest concentrating on just one lift. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

2. I've been taking creatine, whey protein and glutamine for the past few months and out of the three, glutamine has been the supplement that I've noticed is doing the trick for me. Creatine is alright. However, I'm not clued up as to it's use in MMA but for bodybuilding, it can get that extra rep or two out of you when you're up against it. The fact that all it does is increase muscle mass through water retention leads me to think that it would be detrimental to a mixed martial artist who will need more raw power than just muscle gains. Glutamine is one I'd suggest as I've noticed I've had better muscle stability after my workouts. I've also heard good things about amino acids but haven't done much background research into them so I cannot really suggest them.

3. Speed could be generated through explosive training. Like tying a tyre to rope and around your waste before sprinting, for example, you would need to train with excess weight or resistance when you're striking so that when the excess weight/resistance is removed, you'll naturally have quicker hand speed. Think that legendary photograph of Ali boxing underwater and you'll get my drift. As far accuracy, I reckon one of the MMA practitioners on here will help you out with that.

4. I'm not an expert on kicks, so I wouldn't know what to tell you in order to steady yourself, sorry about that. However, I am lead to believe it would be your overall posture that determines your balance. Maybe try testing yourself on a pivot board to see if you get the hang of it.

5. I cannot offer much advice on this point, about all I could say is maybe find a reputable gym that has some MMA pedigree and go from there. After all, not everyone has a Greg Jackson or Black House training team.

Hope this helped and stay motivated, mate! :thumb02:

#4 ·
The best first post I've read on here so I just wanted to say hey. hope you're for real spike

It sounds like you've got a lot covered already. There is no way to stress conditioning enough. Rolling with your friend will do more than anything else.

on #3. Practice.Proper form. straight punches. I started late and was very slow. My coach told me smooth and tight is fast. Eventually I tagged some guys a lot faster than me.

4. Same thing practice then practice more. Get your friend to show you proper form and concentrate on that forget about speed and power. With rear leg power kicks it's all in the hips. TURN YOUR HIP OVER that's what generates power. start as low as you can on the heavy bag and don't raise your target until you feel that power IN YOUR HIP. when you can turn your hip over and kick head high you'll have a hard time keeping sparring partners.

%. gyms and schools are popping up everywhere. Check'em out carefully and feel good about them before you give them any money.

A lot of people have gotten off to good starts with freinds and videos.

have fun. keep your hands up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.