Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
820 Posts
Roy Nelson vs. Junior Dos Santos in the works for UFC 117 main card
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on May 10, 2010 at 8:10 am ET
Roy Nelson (15-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) won't be tussling with Cheick Kongo after all.

Kongo (15-6-1 MMA, 8-4 UFC) has withdrawn from a rumored meeting with Nelson at UFC 116 due to a back injury, according to multiple reports. In his place, the UFC has slotted a surprising replacement: Junior Dos Santos (11-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

According to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) sources close to the event, at least one fighter has agreed to the contest, now targeted for the main card of UFC 117, with the intention to sign a bout agreement.

UFC 117 takes place Aug. 7 at EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City. A middleweight title match between champion Anderson Silva and challenger Chael Sonnen is expected to headline.

Nelson, 33, racked up his second consecutive octagon victory with a shellacking of 6-foot-11 Stefan Struve at UFC on Versus 1 in March. The winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" bucked most predictions by quickly getting inside on Struve and knocking him out with a right hand in just 33 seconds.

Previously, Nelson completed a decisive, yet controversial, sweep of the "TUF 10" heavyweights with a first-round knockout of Brendan Schaub in the show's finale. UFC president Dana White criticized his tactical approach to his fights on the show, and despite some initial push-back with the outspoken UFC figurehead, he later told MMAjunkie.com that he is now a "company man."

The 25-year-old Dos Santos fought alongside Nelson at UFC on Versus 1 and delivered his fifth consecutive stoppage victory when he knocked out former contender Gabriel Gonzaga in less than four minutes. The victory put the up-and-comer on many observers' lists as a serious contender in the division, which could make the fight with Nelson all the more pivotal.

The only man to make it out of the first round with Dos Santos is former PRIDE champion Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, who verbally submitted to the Brazilian in the third round after being battered for more than two rounds.

Dos Santos also owns a first-round knockout victory over Struve, which took place at UFC 95 this past February.

For more on UFC 117, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.
Should be an interesting match-up. Both fighters will be tested. Nelson more so.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
God dammit Dana what did fatty do to you? I love Nelson but this is a horrible fight for him, I am not sure he is gonna be be able to close the distance and get JDS down.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
God dammit Dana what did fatty do to you? I love Nelson but this is a horrible fight for him, I am not sure he is gonna be be able to close the distance and get JDS down.
Why wouldnt Nelson want this fight though? If he wins, he gets into the immediate title contention talk after Cain. I have big props for JDS for even accepting this fight, He really has nothing to gain but everything to lose in a matchup like this.

·
Banned
689 Posts
makes sense there is no one else for JDS and this was rumoured before the kongo fight wasn't it.

not to mention dana is a big fan of JDS and not so much of nelson so if JDS knocks out nelson dana would be happy in more ways than one.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Why wouldnt Nelson want this fight though? If he wins, he gets into the immediate title contention talk after Cain. I have big props for JDS for even accepting this fight, He really has nothing to gain but everything to lose in a matchup like this.
I disagree. It potentially gives us the chance to see firstly if JDS can defend the TD from Nelson. Then if Nelson does manage to get JDS to the ground, we have the opportunity to see just how good JDS's Jiu Jitsu really is. We've heard a lot of good things from his camp, but bar a couple of seconds in his last fight, we've not seen him on the ground. Nelson is a high level Renzo Gracie Black Belt with a grappling win over Frank Mir. I think this is a solid challenge for JDS against one of the UFC's better mid-level HW's. A win for Nelson would be huge too. Already has UFC wins over Schaub and Struve, so a win over a top contender like Dos Santos would put him right in the title mix. Good fight I reckon.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Good point, I was just thinking in terms of how high ranked a fighter is in terms of getting a chance at the belt. I hope that we do get to see some ground game from JDS now instead of seeing a KO.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I disagree. It potentially gives us the chance to see firstly if JDS can defend the TD from Nelson. Then if Nelson does manage to get JDS to the ground, we have the opportunity to see just how good JDS's Jiu Jitsu really is. We've heard a lot of good things from his camp, but bar a couple of seconds in his last fight, we've not seen him on the ground. Nelson is a high level Renzo Gracie Black Belt with a grappling win over Frank Mir. I think this is a solid challenge for JDS against one of the UFC's better mid-level HW's. A win for Nelson would be huge too. Already has UFC wins over Schaub and Struve, so a win over a top contender like Dos Santos would put him right in the title mix. Good fight I reckon.
While I agree with everything you've said, I'd also like to point out the fact that Gonzaga has an impressive BJJ pedigree in his own right, and arguably more so than Nelson. He's won and placed highly in some notable grappling tournaments. Gonzaga is also a very big and strong athlete, and in my opinion is also a far more dynamic striker than Roy. I agree with Toxic's implications that this is a terrible match up for Roy, who will be challenged with JDS' apparent elusiveness in the stand up. If he does get JDS down, he will then face the challenge of keeping down someone whose demonstrated very skillful scrambling. Due to JDS' speed and movement I really don't see this fight going to the ground. I also believe that when Nelson tries to implement stand up to utilize a take down, that he will get hit hard pretty early.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
While I agree with everything you've said, I'd also like to point out the fact that Gonzaga has an impressive BJJ pedigree in his own right, and arguably more so than Nelson. He's won and placed highly in some notable grappling tournaments. Gonzaga is also a very big and strong athlete, and in my opinion is also a far more dynamic striker than Roy. I agree with Toxic's implications that this is a terrible match up for Roy, who will be challenged with JDS' apparent elusiveness in the stand up. If he does get JDS down, he will then face the challenge of keeping down someone whose demonstrated very skillful scrambling. Due to JDS' speed and movement I really don't see this fight going to the ground. I also believe that when Nelson tries to implement stand up to utilize a take down, that he will get hit hard pretty early.
Roy is a much smarter fighter, he won't try and box with JDS like Gabe did. Gonzaga has all the talent in the world but seems to be menally weak.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Aw, I like both these guys. On one end you've got the fat guy who has been kicking people's asses, and on the other hand the young up and comer who has also been kicking people's asses. Damn shame here, I'd rather Nelson fight Rothwell, or big nog, and JDS take on Kongo, or Duffee or big nog.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Aw, I like both these guys. On one end you've got the fat guy who has been kicking people's asses, and on the other hand the young up and comer who has also been kicking people's asses. Damn shame here, I'd rather Nelson fight Rothwell, or big nog, and JDS take on Kongo, or Duffee or big nog.
^^^^This

I got respect for roy nelson, doing it for the fat man lol and JDS is just an animal. But my mind tells me JDS will take this, 2nd or 3rd round KO

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have grown to sort of like Roy Nelson. Well...let me qualify that...I don't so much like him as I find him at least entertaining. And he is certainly repping for the "fat man"...and he does it in sort of "corn-pone" funny way.

But folks, Junior is gonna stomp a big, fat, mud-hole in Roy Nelsons ass.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You move up the ranks way quicker in the UFC by getting early KOs in your fights. Just the way it goes. You could be fighting on the undercards forever by winning decisions.
Right...kind of like how JDS knocked out Werdum, Struve, Yvel, gongoza, and went 3 rounds with Cro Cop? JDS has put on great shows. I would argue JDS deserves the title shot more than Velasquez. JDS's wins > Velasquez's wins. Velasquez has bigger hype because he's American, and JDS is Brazillian. It's BS he's getting the shot before JDS to be honest.

BTW, here's JDS's only loss http://www.mmaplayground.com/mma-videos/video/junior-dos-santos-vs-joaquim-ferreira-5787.html

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Right...kind of like how JDS knocked out Werdum, Struve, Yvel, gongoza, and went 3 rounds with Cro Cop? JDS has put on great shows. I would argue JDS deserves the title shot more than Velasquez. JDS's wins > Velasquez's wins. Velasquez has bigger hype because he's American, and JDS is Brazillian. It's BS he's getting the shot before JDS to be honest.

BTW, here's JDS's only loss http://www.mmaplayground.com/mma-videos/video/junior-dos-santos-vs-joaquim-ferreira-5787.html
JDS has been in a different situation though, with the HW division all locked up cause of the Lesnar injury title shots have been really slow. No doubt he has earned it, he just wants to stay busy instead of waiting for his shot.

But look at guys like Fitch and Machida they were decision masters and it took them forever to get a title shot while being undefeated in UFC for awhile.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.